Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer box in Laser spare tire well?

Hybrid booster

Subwoofer box in Laser spare tire well?

Has anyone ever made a sub box for a Chrysler Laser spare tire well? If so where did you put the spare tire?

I want a subwoofer for my Laser but it must be completely hidden to prevent thieves from breaking in.

I thought about using my recipro saw to cut out the spare tire well to fit a large rectangular plywood box that could house a subwoofer and spare tire. Then the plywood would be coated with a thick rubberized coating that would keep water from soaking the wood. I would prefer to avoid cutting up the car because it is in mint condition.

Advice needed thanks.

turbo addict

Re: Subwoofer box in Laser spare tire well?

I would leave the spare alone if you are that concerned. Get yourself a hatch cover and build a box that will sit underneath it. Waaaaay back in the day this is what I did and was able to have a 7 cubic foot box that was not visible even with the hatch open.

Hybrid booster

If you want to make a spare tire well box the way I would do it would be to make a fiberglass piece that's the shape of the area, and then an MDF piece on the top that'd hold the speaker. If you're interested I can tell you how to do it.

Hybrid booster

I had a 12" sun in the spare tire well on my Lancer. All I did was flip the spare upside down (wheel end down) and stuck the jack in the middle. This made enough clearance for the woofer. Plywood cover was held in place with some latches.

Ya know the spare tire well is where all the moisture and rain water collects. I've seen several examples of this. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ speakers and amps in the well, heavy rain, turn on the tunes, BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZTTT!!! smoke, sparks .........dismay

Mitsu booster

most people who use the spare tire well for subs dont carry a spare tire with them

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Ya know the spare tire well is where all the moisture and rain water collects. I've seen several examples of this. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ speakers and amps in the well, heavy rain, turn on the tunes, BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZTTT!!! smoke, sparks .........dismay

that sounds like a leaky trunk..... and if you use the spare well as place to put the sub box there isnt really room for the amp in it..... unless you build a pretty small box....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If you build a sub box in your spare tire well... make sure it floats! hahaha
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

I was hoping the sub box could double as a floatation device in the event the Laser makes a water landing.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ke6960 View Post
    most people who use the spare tire well for subs dont carry a spare tire with them
    Not necessarily true. I made a fiberglass enclosure in my civic and mounted the spare above the sub, looked fine.

-1" square stock to make a frame around the spare tire well
    -Lined the spare tire well with aluminum foil
    -Put in 2 layers of glass, 1 layer of fleece, and 2 more layers of glass then I pulled the whole thing out and added more layers to it
    -Used a piece of 3/4" MDF for the lid
    -Added a piece of 1/4" paneling over top of the MDF, carpeted that all the way across (no hole for bragging rights)
    -Put a bolt through about 4" past the sub into the trunk, for the spare to mount to

BAM! Stealth enclosure.

Dont use a huge box and have 2 boxes each stuck in the side of the trunk by the wheel well. Then get a hatch cover =) Save trunk space, lets you have a spare tire and get in and out of the trunk, plus no moisture and they are hidden better

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
    Has anyone ever made a sub box for a Chrysler Laser spare tire well? If so where did you put the spare tire?

I want a subwoofer for my Laser but it must be completely hidden to prevent thieves from breaking in.

I thought about using my recipro saw to cut out the spare tire well to fit a large rectangular plywood box that could house a subwoofer and spare tire. Then the plywood would be coated with a thick rubberized coating that would keep water from soaking the wood. I would prefer to avoid cutting up the car because it is in mint condition.

Advice needed thanks.
    Wow, live in a rough neighborhood?

G-bodies rule for good sound with the sub box right behind the rear seat pointing at the back window. Do you the rollershade rolling cargo cover? That and some window tint should hide it nicely

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Wow, live in a rough neighborhood?
    Unfortunatley, its called "reality"

Years ago, I had a 89 Firefly and had them make the spare tire well a speaker box with 2 10" subs, worked awesome, and the amp went under the drivers seat. I could still use my hatch and with the thin factory carpet, couldn't even tell they were there. They don't have them fancy cargo covers,

I just kept the spare tire behind the drivers seat.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

It also helps to not bump the stereo near your house or destination... us the good stereo to listen to, not to show off.

As far as that, a spare tire well enclosure is probably a little more likely to be heard from the outside of the vehicle.

I would think that having it in the spare tire well only helps if you plan that your car will be broken into and that a speaker box will be seen.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post

I would think that having it in the spare tire well only helps if you plan that your car will be broken into and that a speaker box will be seen.

Thats the whole point, alot of low life pieces of sh*t look thru windows etc looking for speaker box's etc, if its hidden, they move on.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

i am a car stereo nut! if you want to keep the spare, get a cargo cover, tint and louvers if you want to go the extra mile, shave the hatch lock and add a remote popper.

another different route would be getting 1 15" free air sub and just put a piece of mdf over the wheel well with the sub in it, just undercoat the inside of the trunk well to keep moisture out and it will act as dynomat does. free air subs wont make you have deep bass, but if your looking for alot of thump, than hiding it is not really an option. i have 2 15" audio bahns that are 2000watts rms each and require 5 cubic ft each!

Hybrid booster

I actually live in a great neighborhood but I did have my laser broken into once. They did not steal my subs that I had at the time. The only thing they took was my Leatherman wave tool. They also ripped down the dome light. I may wait until it becomes summer time and make a fiberglass box.

I leave my car unlocked and the keys usually in the car with no problems but I also live in a very nice secure neighborhood. So hiding subs for me in my laser isn't really that big of a deal

Hybrid booster

get an alarm with auxillary sensors, the ones that run off the door dome switches, so if the hood, doors or hatch is opened 1 inch, it will go off.

TURBOKID, my buddy around the corner use to brag to me he would leave his keys in the car and 2 weeks ago he woke up and it was gone, later that afternoon he found it around the block with the door open, the cd player and all his change gone, the dash was a mess and the battery was dead.
    so be careful, there are bad seeds everywhere.

personally, i dont put anything in my turbo dodges, i could care less if the radio worked, i listen to the 3" and the bov and i'm entertained.
    i save the sytems for the daily drivers or the 66' boat

this 15" sub weighs about 75lbs and i have 2 taking up 10 cubic ft. (in the pic it is sitting on the end of a dual 12" box!!

Last edited by glht_omni; 03-29-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Here's a picture of my sub box in my Daytona. You can still pull the cargo cover over the sub box and it is right out of sight. My windows are limo tinted anyways, so you can't even see in the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast