Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Style Mods in your CSX?

Question Factory Style Mods in your CSX?

Has anyone made small, factory style mods to their CSX's (particularly 89s) that would be unnoticed by most and recognized by just a few with good eyes knowing that the certain mod you made didn't come on the car originally but looked pretty cool?

Just thought it'd be a cool discussion for some of you to share. I know one I will be working on is the pop open quarter panel windows

turbo addict

Re: Factory Style Mods in your CSX?

Im still working on those fiberide look a likes. I will post some pics to this thread when im done......wont be for a couple months though.

turbo addict

Ive been REALLY wanting to remove the factory sunroof roof skin from my 88 ES shadow, and put the entire thing on my 89 CSX. I could do it and make it look very factory (autobody tech for years) but I just cant get myself to make the car unoriginal as I have never seen a 89 CSX with a factory sunroof.

thoughts?

Nice Sean, thats still going to turn out great!

Shadow, quantum, a board member here, owns CSX #91 and it has a sunroof installed that was not factory. You may want to talk to him about his thoughts on how he likes it and what not.

In my opinion, these cars should be left as completely original as possible, with any mods that are done to them being able to be de-modded with no harm done to the car. Like the window pop out things I mentioned, that involves a screw on the quarter panel window and the latch which would bolt to the same place behind the interior sail panel. Only thing I would have to do is dremel out an area of the sail panel plastic so one could get their fingers back there to flip the Q.P. window open. But that would be done with regular Shadow plastic and not the plastic from my CSX.

Just my $.02. I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be reversed. I would think a car with something irreversible done to it that wa not factory would decrease its value. But at the same time, its your car!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Nice Sean, thats still going to turn out great!

Shadow, quantum, a board member here, owns CSX #91 and it has a sunroof installed that was not factory. You may want to talk to him about his thoughts on how he likes it and what not.

In my opinion, these cars should be left as completely original as possible, with any mods that are done to them being able to be de-modded with no harm done to the car. Like the window pop out things I mentioned, that involves a screw on the quarter panel window and the latch which would bolt to the same place behind the interior sail panel. Only thing I would have to do is dremel out an area of the sail panel plastic so one could get their fingers back there to flip the Q.P. window open. But that would be done with regular Shadow plastic and not the plastic from my CSX.

Just my $.02. I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be reversed. I would think a car with something irreversible done to it that wa not factory would decrease its value. But at the same time, its your car!
    I agree. With a numbered car, I wouldnt chop it up. I wish the previous owner of my car kept the rare parts......I wouldnt have to be searching all over the place for them. But, then again....I might not have been able to afford it either.

There was that one on ebay that had a power drivers seat base installed on the non recaro style seats.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    There was that one on ebay that had a power drivers seat base installed on the non recaro style seats.
    See, something like that would be able to be reversed as long as you kept the standard seat tracks. That's pretty cool though.

At the same time, I was half tempted to add power mirrors and locks. But, Shelby wanted these cars to practically be little race cars and therefore no unneccessary weight from power options

I don't have a CSX, but I have a Duster. I tinted the taillights and parking lights. I think it makes the car look cleaner.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Ive been REALLY wanting to remove the factory sunroof roof skin from my 88 ES shadow, and put the entire thing on my 89 CSX. I could do it and make it look very factory (autobody tech for years) but I just cant get myself to make the car unoriginal as I have never seen a 89 CSX with a factory sunroof.

thoughts?
    Get the factory ebay sunroof decal.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Get the factory ebay sunroof decal.
    That is the best first mod for any car.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Bump...and a question...

Do any of the later-year Chrysler radios w/CD player fit in an '89 CSX? I'd like to stick one in my '89, if it would work.

Those ones from the 96 Concordes/Intrepids work. Any Chrysler car that came with the plain radio, tape/radio, tape/cd/radio with teh mounting point in the upper right and bottom left corners will work in our cars. IIRC they did away with that setup in 1999, so nothing from the newest vehicles will work.

Those that will work have mounting tabs like this:

Those that don't look like this:

On a separate note, I've added Duster style bumper covers, foglights, and a monotone grille to my Sundance thus far. I am planning on adding the bulged hood once I get it cleaned up soon as well.

I'm also debating about redoing a set of taillights, but painting the turn signal portion amber. How difficult is it to pull apart the lenses from the housings and also how much work is it to strip the paint on the lense?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Sweet, thanks!

I put power windows, door locks, and mirrors in my 87. The control is just sort of sitting behind the small center console, but it doesn't go anywhere.

anyone need a red power bulge hold? That would look pretty sweet and its extremely reversable and it look quite nice.

I'm also debating about redoing a set of taillights, but painting the turn signal portion amber. How difficult is it to pull apart the lenses from the housings and also how much work is it to strip the paint on the lense?
    Anybody know how to do this? Sounds pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    Anybody know how to do this? Sounds pretty cool...
    In addition, check out this image from some Mexican Geocities site. Notice anything cool?

^ How you think they got those turn signals into the headlights, or is that how Mexican Shadows came equipped?

From the Dodge Performance Club website;
    http://www.geocities.com/starmandivx/dpc.html

OR, maybe someone has considered running rally race lights on the front?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just thought it'd be a cool discussion for some of you to share. I know one I will be working on is the pop open quarter panel windows

I know of 1 car that had these....years ago a guy I worked with....ive gone through a couple set of different minivan latches and have never really found anything to match up....I have another set here now that I was going to try and make work on my 87 CSX...I dont know why chrysler never offered it as an option or something on the P bodies?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

^ How you think they got those turn signals into the headlights, or is that how Mexican Shadows came equipped?
    I'd guess those are kustom and installed with a drill thru the reflector housing, held in with RTV or JB Weld and wired into the regular signla light harness. My concern would be by compromising the reflector how does that hurt the actual headlight beams?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast