Thread: Port compressor outlet? Yes? No?

Port compressor outlet? Yes? No?

I bought a turbo that has a larger compressor wheel machined into the stock housing. The intake hole is about 50.5 mm, haven't had it apart to measure the wheel properly. Would there be any advantage to opening up the outlet, seeing that it is the stock size, or will it hinder performance? This turbo did 113 in an Omni, so it should be good the way it is, just wondering if I could better it.
    The pic shows the size of a stock T2 compared to the new wheel.

later Dick Westerhof

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Port compressor outlet? Yes? No?

What size wheel is it? I have a To4E wheel in a stock cover in my shadow (which I don't recommend) and the inlet was bored out quite a bit. That was mainly due to the fact that the wheel is so much larger though.

Garrett booster

I would imagine if you ported the outlet of the housing you should maintain the A/R all the way to the end of the housing. This would probably be harder than it sounds, but more correct than just boring it out. You should try finding an engineer who deals with radial compressors and find out for sure!

We have some turbomachinery professors here, but I haven't met any of them yet. Not for another year or two...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well . . . there IS a physical (as in physics) reason why bigger wheels typically are paired with bigger covers. That is, the diameter of the cover increases with as wheel diameter increases - all to maintain efficiency, reduce gas friction, keep heat output low.
    Last edited by johnl; 01-28-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia