Thread: Best front wheel bearings for GLHT?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Best front wheel bearings for GLHT?

I need some new front wheel bearings/hub assys for my GLH, and I was wondering what my best bet would be. I will need to have these pressed in correct? Are there any tricks while in my own garage that could get it taken care of? Is there a cheapo Harbor Freight press that would work well?

Thanks guys.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Best front wheel bearings for GLHT?

The aftermarket ones are fine, IE National, SKF etc or find a bearing place and match up your numbers, they'll be on your old ones.

I usually use a hydraulic press, an array of sockets and metal bars to positon it level.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

You might want to think about getting the hub/gearing assembly. I just tried to replace bearing in my neon. Neons are press in bearings like 90 older dodges. I reused the hub. That bearing made so much noise. It was fairly tight, but I think the hub was helping make the noise.

I ended up going to the junkyard. I found a neon with thicker hubs with a good bearing. So I bought the knuckle. Its been quiet since then.

later

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The aftermarket ones are fine, IE National, SKF etc or find a bearing place and match up your numbers, they'll be on your old ones.

I usually use a hydraulic press, an array of sockets and metal bars to positon it level.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Thanks for the advise guys. Perhaps I will try and pick up a press from some place and give this a go myself.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I have a home-made tool I use for the press in bearings, it allows you to do them without removing the knuckle from the car.

I don't have any pictures, but it's essentially a piece of exhaust tubing about 12" long, an 18" piece of threaded rod 3/4" some matching nuts and washers, and two bearing race/seal drivers. One of the seal drivers fits perfect in the end of the pipe giving someting to pull against and the other fits easily inside the pipe, and is the same od as the bearing.

I first use a prybar or slide hammer to pull the old bearing apart removing the hub from the bearing. Then remove the rest of the bearing with the tool. The tool will press in the new bearing and then I use the end from an old axle to pull the hub back into it.

It's a tedious process but works pretty well, however lately I find it much easier to just remove the whole knuckle and haul everything over to my dad's shop where I can use the press.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Thanks for the tip Dave. I might have to give that a try if I can line up all the pieces.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks for the tip Dave. I might have to give that a try if I can line up all the pieces.
    If you decide to got that route let me know and I can take a few pictures of the setup and get you some measurements.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

I own a 12 ton press and after destroying a bearing while attempting to press it in myself and wasted good 4 hours, I am now gladly paying a machine shop the $15 they ask for to change out the bearings for me.