Thread: any aluminum core rads for pre-90 cars? or 91-95 style retrofitted to pre-90 chassis?

Garrett booster

any aluminum core rads for pre-90 cars? or 91-95 style retrofitted to pre-90 chassis?

Does anybody make an aluminum core, plastic tank radiator for the pre-1990 cars? Basically any of the big direct replacement radiator companies, modine, visteon, transpro etc? Just looking for a standard replacement style radiator for a non-intercooler car, but would prefer the plastic tank, aluminum core unit.

Specifically 87 Lebaron coupe, but same radiator I believe would be in a pre-90 J, G, P, H, etc body cars.
    Last edited by daver; 01-22-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Garrett booster

Re: anybody make an aluminum core rad for pre-90 cars?

Might have answered my own question: seen a few listed that state, aluminum/plastic contruction, however elsewhere states copper brass and/or states manufacturer may substitute at will.

Edit: Looks like Modine and Ready-Rad brand, both manufactured by Proliance show on their website as being aluminum core, most auto parts stores carrying these brands however still list as copper/brass core. part # 433883

Looks like common replacement units for 91-95 cars are all listed as aluminum/plastic core.

So the next question then is has anyone installed a newer style 91-95 radiator into an older pre-90 FWD Mopar? Would then be able to install a newer slimmer style fan/shroud assembly as well.

Or has anyone installed a new style fan/shroud assembly onto an older pre-90 style radiator?
    Last edited by daver; 01-22-2008 at 07:55 PM.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: any aluminum core rads for pre-90 cars? or 91-95 style retrofitted to pre-90 chas

I've seen aluminum ones for the 89 and older cars, I actually have a nearly new one that was in an 89 Lancer ES. Looked that car up on rockauto.com and they show an aluminum one with plastic tanks for $85.79 PROLIANCE Part # 433883.

As far as swapping in a newer style one, the top mountig points are much different so you would have to fabricate some brackets to make them work. The hose locations are the same, so it's just the mounting brackets you would have to fab.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Garrett booster

Re: any aluminum core rads for pre-90 cars? or 91-95 style retrofitted to pre-90 chas

Dave: thanks for the reply, I saw the same Proliance on rockauto, but they do state the manufacturer can substitute construction style and all the other autoparts stores I saw listed that brand as copper/brass.

The other concern I just thought about with swapping to a new style rad, is on the newer cars doesn't the condensor mount to the radiator, then the radiator to the core support, as opposed to radiator and condensor mounting seperately on the pre-90 cars?

It looks like Parts-America/Advance Auto has the Ready-Rad/Proliance radiator for $86 with a lifetime warranty. They do list it as copper/brass core, but perhaps I'll locate a store with it in stock and see which it is.

If that one is aluminum core, maybe I'll just fab up some brackets to mount a newer style fan assembly and use a direct fit radiator.

Hybrid booster

I am pretty sure i have a aluminum core plastic tank rad that came in my 89 daytona. This should be a direct bolt in. PM me if interested, and i can get some picts.

Joe

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Why do you want an aluminium one? brass cools better for the size.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

'coz if you're tryna get less metals in your cooling system, remember the CTS is brass, the waterpump probably has bronze bushings...

turbo addict

Iron, brass, aluminum... what other metal is in TD engine?

With acid, it's like a big battery....