Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission info posted on Neons.org

Transmission info posted on Neons.org

I wrote this up since people kept mislabeling transmissions in their cars and it drove me nuts. Anyway, I wanted to share it all with you guys. Don't yell too much if I screwed something up... it's a LOT better than what I've seen over there...

Wow... lots of wrong numbers here... I will help with my knowledge of vintage FWD Chryslers.

A413 is what's used in any 4 cylinder FWD Chrysler with a Chrysler made engine from 1983-2001 with a THREE SPEED AUTOMATIC.

The original version had three clutch packs and did NOT have a lockup torque converted, this was added in 1987 for the TBI FWD Mopars.

A beefed up version came out in 1984 for the Turbo FWD versions. The beefed up version gained a lockup torque converter in 1991. I think it had 4 clutch packs and other better internals instead of the 3 the TBI car trannies had.

The Neon came out in 1994 and had the same internals as the Turbo A413 with a different bellhousing for the Neon's 2.0 engine instead of the 2.2/2.5 family of the K based cars and vans. It had a lockup torque converter.

The A470 is a standard A413 with a bellhousing to match the Mitsubishi 2.6L crapengine that was put into the K based cars and vans until 1987. No lockup torque converter.

The A670 is a turbo internal version of the A413 with a bellhousing to match up to the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 used in the K based cars and vans. It had a lockup torque converter.

The NON LOCKUP CONVERTER transmissions can be used with Dexron II or III. LOCKUP CONVERTER transmissions SHOULD use ATF+3 (aka Type 7176) and now enjoy ATF+4. Using Dexron can and probably will cause lockup shudder and possibly failure. Plus, the ATF+4 (in my opinion) is a superior fluid that's made specifically for Chrysler transmissions. I hate GM junk and don't want their crap Dexron in my automatic Chryslers.

For future reference (and because it might pertain to something someday around here)...

A404 was the original FWD tranny Chrysler had in their 2.2L and 1.6L/1.7L cars. All the cars that used it (78-82 Omni's and 81-82 K cars) should all be crushed and scrapped by now so I wouldn't worry about it. If you have one, the later A413 is a direct swap in case it dies... and congrats for keeping rust from eating it alive.

A460 is the original FWD 4-speed manual transmission from 78-85. It is rod shifted and pretty weak internally.

A465 is the same as the A460 but with a 5th gear added to the unit. Used till 84. Junk.

A525 was a 5 speed manual used from 1984 on all cars till 1987. Then used on L bodies from 87 until 1990. Chrysler needed this tranny to handle turbocharged power and it was still rod shiftable so that's why it stayed in the L bodies until they were canned.

A520 was a 5 speed manual used from 1987-1989. This was the standard transmission on all TBI and non-intercooled K based cars and was a decently stout and reliable tranny.

A555 was a very similar transmission as the A520 but had a Getrag gearset for enhanced reliability and a more stout 4 pin differential for "agressive launches" according to Ma Mopar. 87-89 Turbo II and 89 Turbo Caravan was where this was found.

A523 was a refined 5 speed manual for everything but the intercooled turbo cars that had a MUCH improved shift quality and better quality parts than the older models. This was used from 1990-1995 on the K based cars and vans.

A568 is the Getrag version of the A523. Hailed by the Turbo Mopar croud as the best FWD manual for the K based vehicles. Used on the 1990 Turbo IV (VNT) and the 1991-1993 Turbo III (16V DOHC) K based vehicles as well as the 1990 Turbo Caravan.

A543 was the same internally as the A523 but with the bellhousing to fit the 3.0L V6 engine that was offered in certain models from 1990 to 1994.

A578/T350 is the Neon manual transmission.
    A???/T850 is the SRT4 manual transmission.
    Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 01-30-2008 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Adding some information...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Transmission info posted on Neons.org

Still missing some info but not bad,

I moved it to the FAQ section.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

The A470 was also meant to have some beefing up in the internals to handle the awesome hemi power of 2.6 litres of Mitsubitchy Astron goodness

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Simon,
    This is a thread. That was not the FAQ section. It is meant for submitting FAQ writeups... this thread is not yet a writeup.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I wrote this up since people kept mislabeling transmissions in their cars and it drove me nuts. Anyway, I wanted to share it all with you guys. Don't yell too much if I screwed something up... it's a LOT better than what I've seen over there...

Wow... lots of wrong numbers here... I will help with my knowledge of vintage FWD Chryslers.

A413 is what's used in any 4 cylinder FWD Chrysler with a Chrysler made engine from 1983-2001 with a THREE SPEED AUTOMATIC.

The original version had three clutch packs and did NOT have a lockup torque converted, this was added in 1987 for the TBI FWD Mopars.

A beefed up version came out in 1984 for the Turbo FWD versions. The beefed up version gained a lockup torque converter in 1991. I think it had 4 clutch packs and other better internals instead of the 3 the TBI car trannies had.

The Neon came out in 1994 and had the same internals as the Turbo A413 with a different bellhousing for the Neon's 2.0 engine instead of the 2.2/2.5 family of the K based cars and vans. It had a lockup torque converter.

The A470 is a standard A413 with a bellhousing to match the Mitsubishi 2.6L crapengine that was put into the K based cars and vans until 1987. No lockup torque converter.

The A670 is a turbo internal version of the A413 with a bellhousing to match up to the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 used in the K based cars and vans. It had a lockup torque converter.

The NON LOCKUP CONVERTER transmissions can be used with Dexron II or III. LOCKUP CONVERTER transmissions SHOULD use ATF+3 (aka Type 7176) and now enjoy ATF+4. Using Dexron can and probably will cause lockup shudder and possibly failure. Plus, the ATF+4 (in my opinion) is a superior fluid that's made specifically for Chrysler transmissions. I hate GM junk and don't want their crap Dexron in my automatic Chryslers.

For future reference (and because it might pertain to something someday around here)...

A404 was the original FWD tranny Chrysler had in their 2.2L and 1.6L/1.7L cars. All the cars that used it (78-82 Omni's and 81-82 K cars) should all be crushed and scrapped by now so I wouldn't worry about it. If you have one, the later A413 is a direct swap in case it dies... and congrats for keeping rust from eating it alive.

A460 is the original FWD 4-speed manual transmission from 78-85. It is rod shifted and pretty weak internally.

A465 is the same as the A460 but with a 5th gear added to the unit. Used till 84. Junk.

A525 was a 5 speed manual used from 1984 on all cars till 1987. Then used on L bodies from 87 until 1990. Chrysler needed this tranny to handle turbocharged power and it was still rod shiftable so that's why it stayed in the L bodies until they were canned.

A520 was a 5 speed manual used from 1987-1989. This was the standard transmission on all TBI and non-intercooled K based cars and was a decently stout and reliable tranny.

A555 was a very similar transmission as the A520 but had a Getrag gearset for enhanced reliability and a more stout 4 pin differential for "agressive launches" according to Ma Mopar. 87-89 Turbo II and 89 Turbo Caravan was where this was found.

A523 was a refined 5 speed manual for everything but the intercooled turbo cars that had a MUCH improved shift quality and better quality parts than the older models. This was used from 1990-1995 on the K based cars and vans.

A568 is the Getrag version of the A523. Hailed by the Turbo Mopar croud as the best FWD manual for the K based vehicles. Used on the 1990 Turbo IV (VNT) and the 1991-1993 Turbo III (16V DOHC) K based vehicles as well as the 1990 Turbo Caravan.

A578/T350 is the Neon manual transmission.
    A???/T850 is the SRT4 manual transmission.

Thanks Boss! Would you be willing to append out MTX article with any information you feel is pertantent. Also would you be willing to create an ATX article? Thanks!!!!!!!!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...y&categoryid=3
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

I'm pretty sure the A404 does not have a Chrysler bellhousing, but rather a VW specific one.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

The A404 did have a Chrysler bellhousing in 1981 and 1982 for the 2.2L engine.

I'd be happy to help make some new articles if you'd like. What exactly would you like from it? I unforutunately don't have FSM's to scan pictures in from though.

So the 404 came with two different bellhousings?

turbo addict

FWIW, I pulled a small spline A568 from a 90 Daytona Shelby that was mated to a non-intercooled 2.5L High Torque powerplant, not a VNT

The high torque 2.5L wasn't introduced untill 91.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    So the 404 came with two different bellhousings?
    That sounds correct. I remember working on an 81 K-car that had what looked like a normal A413 in it, until I looked at the diff and it had it's own fill plug.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

The high torque 2.5L wasn't introduced untill 91.
    Wanna bet?

Sure, I bet you $.10

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Troy have you got the fender tag from that Daytona, that would prove what engine/trans the car was supposed to come with.

I've never seen a 90 Daytona Shelby 5speed that wasn't a VNT, nor does any of the sales books or literature I have mention any such creation.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

Edit the information to include:

A543--The 3.0L version of the A523.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Troy have you got the fender tag from that Daytona, that would prove what engine/trans the car was supposed to come with.

I've never seen a 90 Daytona Shelby 5speed that wasn't a VNT, nor does any of the sales books or literature I have mention any such creation.
    Nope sorry, it stayed on the car unfortunately. Had I known at the time that it was unique I would have snagged it. I know for a fact that it was a 90 (1990 on trans I.D. tag and small spline input) 2.5 Hi-torque since no wrinkle black V/C and intake, no cooler etc.... I took the small spline trans and 16" pumpers from the car....

Just because it has 90 on the transmission does not mean the car was a model year 90. The car could have been a 91 model year car made in 90. The fact that it was small spline is interesting, but does not mean that it wasn't replaced with a VNT transmission, or one from a minivan along with the clutch. Not all 2.5L turbo engines are High Torque models. It was only a difference in the computer calibration and of course the transmission that made them any different from a standard 2.5L TI. The only thing I'm trying to say is that the 2.5L high torque option was not offered untill the model year 1991.

turbo addict

Just because it has 90 on the transmission does not mean the car was a model year 90. The car could have been a 91 model year car made in 90. The fact that it was small spline is interesting, but does not mean that it wasn't replaced with a VNT transmission, or one from a minivan along with the clutch. Not all 2.5L turbo engines are High Torque models. It was only a difference in the computer calibration and of course the transmission that made them any different from a standard 2.5L TI. The only thing I'm trying to say is that the 2.5L high torque option was not offered untill the model year 1991.
    Maybe a early production??

I has a 4-pinion diff too.

It's probably out of a minivan then. I have been told by a guy that knows his stuff that by 1989 only the turbo minivans were getting the four pinion diffs. At least thats what he said about the A555.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast