Thread: OTC 2000 scan tool

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

OTC 2000 scan tool

I have a OTC 2000 with ford 81-88, gm 81-88 and Chrysler 83-1988
    Inlcudes manuals, cables and case
    $150 OBO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otc2000.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	6965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otc2.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	6966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otc3.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	6967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otc4.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	6968  
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

Re: OTC 2000 scan tool

Excellent tool, especially if you have a laptop to hook up too it. It reads quite alot of useful information about your engine.

Bump, for a good tool.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

How do you hook the laptop to it? Any particular cables required? Extra software, or protocols?

What will the laptop show that the tool's regular/base screen won't show?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

Well, I made my own cable for it.

This scan tool only shows you two things on the screen, but with the laptop hooked up, it will show you all the info on your car (Estimate-20+ items). As far as software goes, all you need is hyperterminal.

I will show you a picture my friend and I took of the screen tonight, so check for it here later.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wow, thanks. What is the software, hyperterminal? How is it loaded into the scantool?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

No, it should come standard with most Microsoft Operating system.

You should have it on your computer at the moment I would think. go to start, programs, accessories, communication and then there should be Hyperterminal. :]

Hybrid booster

Here you go, it shows 25 parameters :]

Pretty cool, huh?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g?t=1201066062
    Last edited by Dez; 01-23-2008 at 02:36 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Here you go, it shows 25 parameters :]

Pretty cool, huh?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g?t=1201066062
    OK, now I have three questions: 1, can/does the laptop data log this info? 2, where can I get a cable (how much would you charge to make me one?) 3, Since I have a 4000E would the cable, etc still work with the "better" unit? Thanks for the info and sorry if we are thread jacking here. If nothing else, it's a bump!

Mike

Hybrid booster

The info can be saved for future use. It has a record/playback function.

As far as the cable goes, you can probably get it online somewhere. I soldered my wire to a db9 connector for my laptop. I could make you one if I have a few more of the connectors laying around.

I have no experience w/ the 4000E, sorry. I am pretty sure it is the same thing.

Sorry about the thread jacking. Another free Bump. :]

Mitsu booster

Hyperterminal is an emulator for a standalone (dumb) ASCII terminal. You can access it on Win/XP from Start>Programs>Accessories>Communications>Hyperter minal (the menu path may differ on other versions of Windows).

To log your session:

1. On the Transfer menu, click Capture Text or, to send the text file directly to a printer, click Capture to Printer.
    2. In the File box, type a descriptive name for the file, and then click Start.

Terminal emulators are available (usually provided with) every operating system, including Windows, DOS, MacOS, Unix, etc.

If you don't like the way Hyperterminal works, just Google it an you'll find dozens of freeware, shareware, and commercial replacements. One is bound to work the way you like!

Enjoy!
    laserBob (I make my money for Moparts by working with computers ;-)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

scan tool sold!
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

Doh! I woulda taken this off you if it hadn't sold