Thread: Converting a 2nd gen Mini to Turbo

Garrett booster

Converting a 2nd gen Mini to Turbo

So I want to convert a 93 3.0 V6 Van to a 5 speed 2.5 Turbo, and this thread might be a good place to gather this info because I believe theres quite a few would want to attempt this...

I've heard there can be a ton of problems getting gauges to work due to the BCM if I try to convert to SMEC
    So whats the best way to attempt this.
    I'm thinking using the V6 SMEC harness thats currently in the van and splicing on the Turbo connectors in place of the V6 ones (have access to complete 89 turbo van harness) and adding a few wires that may be missing (http://hhscott.com/93tmv/electrical.htm). Then using a 90/91 turbo SMEC.

Any other other ideas/suggestions/warnings

Also if anybody has and can post the Bulkhead connector diagrams for the 93 V6 and 90/91 turbo and the SMEC connectors for 93 V6 and the 90 91 turbos

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Converting a 2nd gen Mini to Turbo

Ok, its not as simple as that, the 91 and up has a body computer that controls everything, so splicing in a turbo harness, your guages and stuff won't work properly.

BUT Turbo224 has a fully function harness for sale, and fairly cheap too.

You of course need the full powertrain but you can reuse the left and right side mounts, driveshafts and fuel pump.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I understand that the body computer (BCM) is the problem as stated in my first post..But I don't understand why one can't spice into a SBEC harness and use a Turbo SBEC, or socket and D-cal the SBEC...

Where does the comunication error occur?
    Also what about the idea of using 2 moduels..One 89 SMEC to control the engine, and The 93 SBEC to control the Body/Speedo

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDaytona View Post
    I understand that the body computer (BCM) is the problem as stated in my first post..But I don't understand why one can't spice into a SBEC harness and use a Turbo SBEC, or socket and D-cal the SBEC...

Where does the comunication error occur?
    Also what about the idea of using 2 moduels..One 89 SMEC to control the engine, and The 93 SBEC to control the Body/Speedo
    I don't know, just going by what I have read.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Might be less trouble if it's got a 3spd A670 in it, 'coz as far as I'm aware the BCM will just hook into the speed sensor thing on the extension housing, and that should pull right off an A670 and stuff into a turbo A413. Dunno how it is on an A604. Depending on which A413 you get you might wanna pull the diff and bearing retainer and ext housing off an A670 and put it on the A413, because that year should have had the big bearing diff, and it would be an upgrade to a small bearing diff A413. Plus you could do that to use an older small spline turbo A413.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

The harness I had was sold a couple months ago. I was told by the guy who made the harness that the only trickery that he had t use to get the gauges to work was using the stock 2.5 tbi sbec to run the speedo. I think he said that all the other gauges worked just fine with the new turbo sbec, but they mounted the stock tbi sbec inside the passenger fender and ran a single power source to it, and then ran a single wire off that sbec to the speedo. Thats how it was wired when I pulled it apart. Other than that, I cant be much help. Good luck with it though.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Garrett booster

Okay so heres the plan
    Us the 89 SMEC wiring harness from my 89 Turbo Van, swap/check the wires on the bulk head connector and us an 89 SMEC to run the engine, then run wires for gauges to seperate SBEC computer to run gauges..

So I need wiring diagrams for 93 SBEC bulkhead connector and SBEC connector.

Otherwise I can go entirely SBEC and try to use D-CAL to change the SBEC program to comunicate with the body computer....

That could work,

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDaytona View Post
    Okay so heres the plan
    Us the 89 SMEC wiring harness from my 89 Turbo Van, swap/check the wires on the bulk head connector and us an 89 SMEC to run the engine, then run wires for gauges to seperate SBEC computer to run gauges..

So I need wiring diagrams for 93 SBEC bulkhead connector and SBEC connector.

Otherwise I can go entirely SBEC and try to use D-CAL to change the SBEC program to comunicate with the body computer....
    I believe what you are looking for is right here:

http://hhscott.com/93tmv/electrical.htm

I believe the harness that Turbo224 had was originally his.

Martin
    89 Horizon
    90 Sundance

Garrett booster

So Can one just buy a FWDperformance 92 SBEC calibration...Plug it in (swaping connectors so a 4 will hook up) and go?