Thread: Oil Pan Baffle

Oil Pan Baffle

Here's what I've got so far. you can't see underneath but there are baffles running front to back under the top plate with holes in the bottom to let oil flow back and forth some. The plate is rounded some and angled to the center to allow oil to flow. I'm wondering if to much oil is going to collect on the pan before running to the center and if I should drill a few holes down the center of the top plate towards the sides. Looking for any suggestions or comments on this setup.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Oil Pan Baffle

I would be inclined to drill some large holes. You will be mostly concerned about oil pushing up the sides of the pans under hard cornering or acceleration, so holes shouldn't cause issues anyway.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Yeah that's the main thing I wanted to stop, The car is going to be raced on ice with 1000+ studs in each tire so it's going to be seeing more G's than any street car would.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    Here's what I've got so far. you can't see underneath but there are baffles running front to back under the top plate with holes in the bottom to let oil flow back and forth some. The plate is rounded some and angled to the center to allow oil to flow. I'm wondering if to much oil is going to collect on the pan before running to the center and if I should drill a few holes down the center of the top plate towards the sides. Looking for any suggestions or comments on this setup.

Benji,
    Make sure you secure the pan on both sides where your pickup tube is. If you don't, it will buzz and shake like crazy. You can also angle the sides so oil will also flow down the ends (front and rear gaskets side), however doing this and you would probably would need to make the baffle longer. Not sure how you are attaching (weld, bolt, Dutz fasteners) but providing a small space (3/16" or so) around the entire tray will help oil find it's way home. As far as drilling holes. I would not. The DC pans had only 4 small louvers, was completely flat, and worked fine. Louvers would be ideal, Not the four tiny ones like the old DC pans, but as many as you could comfortably fit without weakening the tray.
    Good luck on the project.
    Todd Nelson