Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Hybrid Conversion

Hybrid booster

Re: My Hybrid Conversion

the 99- heads and th 2000+ heads are difernt and the exhaust will not fit.

Garrett booster

how come he has a srt header which is post 2000 header and a 99 head.

hows that work, I need details

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyplaya View Post
    the 99- heads and th 2000+ heads are difernt and the exhaust will not fit.
    It can and has been done.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Russ Jerome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboVanDan View Post
    Can any of you fine folks tell me if there is a complete, step by step, well written out, in detail (with proper pictures), "how to" on prepping the 2.5 block and the turbo 2.4 head for hybridization anywhere on the internet?

Drill/tap these holes* as pictured,dont force in the plugs we just
    want to fill the holes not crack the block:
    http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/i...sblock.jpg.jpg
    Then grind off as much as you can without touching the deck
    of the block, let the machinest deck it. When done with that
    we'll look at the head. Block should look like this when done:
    http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/dcp_0006.jpg

*Looks like 7/16" coarse and 3/8" on the bolts, other iron plugs
    look to be 3/8" NPT...I forget but it doesnt matter you need a
    decent complete tap set for the whole project.

Hybrid booster

The bolt patterns are the same for the 99down and 2000up exhaust manifolds.The port shapes are different but they almost match up so with a little grinding they will match. There are two extra bolt holes that dont get used if you swap manifolds between the generations.I used a srt-4 header and I had to grind off the 'ears" where the extra holes would be so I could clear my oil drains.You can see it in this picture:

That is my right side oil drain for my head. I will be heat coating and wrapping the header, and I am getting the heat sleeves for the hose. Should keep them well protected. My left drain is the same way and will have the same heat treatment. Didnt get a good picture of that.

This is my crankcase equalization hose.Kinda ghetto but should work fine.

Here's it with the intake on

Here's the turbo setup for right now

And finally my fuel rail.It's a stock 1 piece fuel rail that I ground the mounting nubs off, cut a piece of tube to fit and welded it on. Should work perfect other than the fuel lines may be in the way of the thermostat housing.Easy fix for that problem.

Garrett booster

You have anymore pics of the turbo and manifold? That is the same manifold I am using just with a Holset HX35 instead. Looks good I am pretty much doing the exact same thing just using a 04 head.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Looking good. Thanks for the update.

http://www.juxsa.com/carstuff/16v/16v.htm

Its not step by step but its got some good info

Garrett booster

Yeah I've been on your site a lot for pictures. I have to find someone that has pictures of the oil drains on the newer head because I have the 2 extra exhaust manifold bosses in the exact spot everyone puts their oil drains at. Do you think that I could put one in the side of the head and one between the 1 and 2 exhaust ports? Sorry to thread jack

Dude if I make it to Carlisle I'm going to bring my camera for you. Looks cool though.

I wish I had the money to do a 16v conversion...and time....and knowledge....and fabrication skills with a 'z' no less. I have mad nunchuck skills and I'm good with a bow staff, but that's about it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I have mad nunchuck skills and I'm good with a bow staff, but that's about it.
    Have you ever taken your car off any sweet jumps though?

I don't have a newer style head, and I did not take a picture of my oil drains after they were completed and before the engine install. Sorry. But I did snake the passenger return through the power steering bracket. The power steering would have fit, however I wasn't thinking about my turbo and the exhaust, so the PS pump and bracket left. If I had different exhaust routing, it would work.

Just the mock up

The sheilded line in the center of the photo is actually just a vacuum line, but if you look closely just below the ground strap is the return line that snakes behind where the power steering pump should be. Its shiny because its covered in heat shield.

Is your crankcase equalization tube NPT to hose fittings jb-welded in? Any specific reason for that? I used NPT to brake line flare to steel line, and feel like the flare seat reduces the I.D. of the pressure equilzation passages and creates a great spot for carbon build up and or gumming up the passage. I like the easily removable rubber hose, was the jbweld just to make it air tight?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Dude if I make it to Carlisle I'm going to bring my camera for you. Looks cool though.

I wish I had the money to do a 16v conversion...and time....and knowledge....and fabrication skills with a 'z' no less. I have mad nunchuck skills and I'm good with a bow staff, but that's about it.
    Go TIII, hehehe,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I just JB welded them to be sure that they won't leak, don't want to have to deal with leaks. And if the hose/valve cover crankcase evac doesnt have enough volume I can just run it off the NPT fitting in the front of the block and cap off the fitting in the head. Gotta get a few more parts and then I can finish this thing up.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the header and my big turbo.These pics are very blurry and I took them with my old phone, so no hatin on the blurriness.My new phone is much better and takes better pics so when I get the turbo back I will take some better ones. I'm not quite sure if the turbo is gonna clear the firewall or not, so I might have to BFH the firewall to convince it to move, or with my other plan it's gonna have plenty of room to hang out in the left side of the engine bay

Last edited by 1985ShlbyChrger; 10-19-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Looks good except the only thing I would criticize is your oil drains into the block, you have them angled down.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

What's wrong with them being angled?I did that to make sure they will clear the axle and I also wanted to put them as high up in the oil pan as possible so that oil in the pan wont get sloshed up into them. I am making a windage tray and baffle setup also.

Garrett booster

Which holset are you using? I have an HX35 for mine.

Hybrid booster

I am gonna try an H1E non gated, but I think the turbine housing is going to be WAY too big, so I may sell it andd get an HX35.

Garrett booster

Yeah I have the same feeling with my non gated hx. Mine has the 12cm housing on it. I will be really interested to see what kind of lag that it has once I get it running.

Hybrid booster

Mine has the 21cm housing on it, It's HUGE. I may block one side off and see how that works but I don't think its gonna work too well. Thats why I'll probably sell it and get an HX or just find another housing to put on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast