Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Hybrid Conversion

Hybrid booster

My Hybrid Conversion

I am doing a 2.5/DOHC hybrid swap. I am using a 99 2.4 DOHC head, an OBX SRT-4 tubular header ground to clear the oil drains, a rebuilt .040 over 2.5 with cast pistons(don't even hassle me ) and otherwise stock bottom end(except ARP rod bolts) I already have the plugs in the head and have it resurfaced, but haven't gotten the block done yet. I don't have a puller for the crank sprocket so I can't get the crank out. I already have one of the oil drain backs figured out,which is the last pic. It snakes through the opening in the PS bracket(if I decide to keep the PS). I still have to figure the other one out. They will be wrapped with heat shielding, and the header will be heat coated as well. I will be running the distributor, and the stock Stratus intake clears it. I need to order the cam gears from FWD-P.

Here are pics of my conversion so far:

Hybrid booster

Re: My Hybrid Conversion

No one even wants to look at this and/or comment? I feel so alone.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I was going to tell you it sucks, but figured I'd refrain.

But since you asked
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Looks good, your going to like 16 valve power.

BTW, get a better camera,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

That would probably fit real nice in the front of a golden 600 'vert, me thinks.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Hybrid booster

That's actually from my LG VX9400 cell phone, I don't think they are too bad.

Mitsu booster

Can any of you fine folks tell me if there is a complete, step by step, well written out, in detail (with proper pictures), "how to" on prepping the 2.5 block and the turbo 2.4 head for hybridization anywhere on the internet? I mean, I have picked up on the major points by looking at a lot of different forum posts, but all the details just don't seem to be located in any one place. It would be awesome if they were...

And, by the way, don't let my usename fool you. My username is based on what I see in the future. Right now my van is only as close to being "turbo" as a set of SRT-4 wheels can get it... My van is a 1992 Caravan C/V with 2.5common block TBI with automatic transmission. I wish that is was already a 5-speed, but I will have to create that when I build my hybrid engine. Anyone know of an A568, shifter, and pedal set available for sale that will bolt right in to my '92?

boostaholic

I think you will have fun with this as Im working on doing one aswell only with the SOHC head.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboVanDan View Post
    Can any of you fine folks tell me if there is a complete, step by step, well written out, in detail (with proper pictures), "how to" on prepping the 2.5 block and the turbo 2.4 head for hybridization anywhere on the internet? I mean, I have picked up on the major points by looking at a lot of different forum posts, but all the details just don't seem to be located in any one place. It would be awesome if they were...

And, by the way, don't let my usename fool you. My username is based on what I see in the future. Right now my van is only as close to being "turbo" as a set of SRT-4 wheels can get it... My van is a 1992 Caravan C/V with 2.5common block TBI with automatic transmission. I wish that is was already a 5-speed, but I will have to create that when I build my hybrid engine. Anyone know of an A568, shifter, and pedal set available for sale that will bolt right in to my '92?
    There were some sticky's on this but there gone?

As for the pedals, trans etc, any 1st or 2nd gen van will work and fit. You can use car pedals if necessary, check out this link. I know a 5 speed van with all that stuff and I'll see if he wants to sell that stuff.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ddg_van_tech.html
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the info about the pedals, and I will check out out the link you sent (haven't gone there yet...). I was secretly suspecting that 1st gen van pedals would work in my '92 (or even car pedals as you suggest, turbovanman). And, in case you are wondering, I totally plan to use a "stand alone" for fuel and spark on my hybrid. Most likely MegaSquirt. My son has already built one MegaSquirt for his SRT-4 turbo modded '02 Dodge Neon ES 5-speed. It works beautifully...!! By using the stand alone, I will have continuous tuning capability, and won't need a distributor...!! Thanks again for the help.

I am still curious if anyone can point me in the direction of a concise, complete, detailed, with pics, place on the internet that teaches the 2.2/2.5 bottom with 2.0/2.4 head hybridization process....

Or maybe I just need to create this complete "how to" myself as I build my hybrid.... Got to get some parts rounded up first......

Mitsu booster

Oh, I forgot to ask... turbovanman mentioned that he knows about a 5-speed van that might have parts for sale. Approximately where is that van located? I am in northwest Missouri, but I would be willing to travel to remove parts. I would want to be careful to get all the clips, brackets, etc. that are needed. And what year is the van...??
    Last edited by TurboVanDan; 04-01-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Add information

Oh, I forgot to ask... turbovanman mentioned that he knows about a 5-speed van that might have parts for sale. Approximately where is that van located? I am in northwest Missouri, but I would be willing to travel to remove parts. I would want to be careful to get all the clips, brackets, etc. that are needed.
    Its the old John Deer van, its folklore around my neck of woods. I have semi sold it to a friend but he hasn't finished buying it and its in pieces so depending on what he is doing with it, all the stuff could be shipped out.

Mitsu booster

Ahh, so the van must be in British Columbia. What year is it?

Ahh, so the van must be in British Columbia. What year is it?
    Its a 1990, with a 568,

Mitsu booster

Whoa...!! An A568...!! Was it a turbo van? Also, I am curious if you can confirm that the shifter bracket that welds to the floor between the front seats is the same from 1st gen to 2nd gen minivans. Probably is, but just thought that I would ask.

I am keenly interested in these 5-speed van parts (even if they are in BC), primarily because of the one-stop shopping that includes an A568!! I wonder if the clutch is good too...?? And flywheel...??

Thanks for everything.

Whoa...!! An A568...!! Was it a turbo van? Also, I am curious if you can confirm that the shifter bracket that welds to the floor between the front seats is the same from 1st gen to 2nd gen minivans. Probably is, but just thought that I would ask.

I am keenly interested in these 5-speed van parts (even if they are in BC), primarily because of the one-stop shopping that includes an A568!! I wonder if the clutch is good too...?? And flywheel...??

Thanks for everything.
    Yes, its a 5 speed turbo Minivan,

Clutch I would buy another one anyway as if your building a hybrid, you'll kill it and I am sure the flywheel is good.

Hybrid booster

Well I've been making progress on my build. All the oil drains are done, two from the head and one for turbo. The oil feed lines are run, and the PCV equalization tube is in the process of being made. Should I use -6 or -8 for the equalization line? I drilled into one of the stock oil drains on the front of the 2.5 block and I'm going to drill into the 2.4 head to equalize the pressure but don't know whether to use -6 or -8 line. I'll get pictures up as soon as I find a camera. I aslo made my own spark plug wires and modded my distributor cap to use standard plug wires instead of the spade type. I also ditched the power steering. Who needs it?

Garrett booster

Are the exhaust ports and manifold bolt holes the same?

I heard they where different on 2000ish and up, including the srt-4.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Although blurry that looks really nice so far. I am thinking that I will do a hybrid for the next motor in my 600. Hopefully that will be a ways off as I haven't even gotten it on the road after a TII conversion.

Make sure to update the thread as you get more accomplished.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdaytona View Post
    Are the exhaust ports and manifold bolt holes the same?

I heard they where different on 2000ish and up, including the srt-4.
    thats what i wanted to ask too...
    can you post details on your oil drains, as i have the same head in my garage and want to put the same header on it

thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast