Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Hybrid Conversion

Mitsu booster

Re: My Hybrid Conversion

Hey whats up man! Nice job so far on the hybrid. Im in the process of doing the same and im also using the OBX manifold on a 99 head as well. Its nice to see it all working out for you!

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor whywoody's Avatar

I use a HY35 with my hybrid,which is a 9cm turbine housing.
    Stock,the internal wastegate couldn't come close to controlling boost...so I modified the housing by increasing the radius into the wastegate port and enlarging the port's diameter as much as possible.It's great now,no creep at all.
    I had a 12cm HX35 to choose from at the time of building also,and noticed that the internal 'gate was noticeably smaller in diameter than the HY35 of the same year (99)...so I don't know if it would be able to keep up in stock form,even though the housing is larger and would flow better.
    With a modified adjustable T2 large can style actuator set 'tight',and boost set at 20psi via a grainger,boost response is fantastic.I find boost comes on very strong from about 2500rpm and builds insanely quick from 3000rpm onwards.This is with a log style exhaust manifold,3" intercooler plumbing,big IC,stock stratus TB and intake manifold,and currently using the 2ltr cams too.I used the 2.4ltr cams for a long time,and may switch back,as they seem to produce gobs of mid range torque giving great fuel economy (wheel spin is a big problem around town with these though!)
    Hope this ramble helps a little.

Hybrid booster

Well I ordered my head studs finally. Its coming together. Bottom end is all together and ready for the head to go on as soon as the head studs get here. Hopefully it gets done in a month or so.

Hybrid booster

New pics. Engine is put together. Just need to fab an intake and figure out my cam gears, whether I'm going to buy them or fab them, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Should be together and in the car soon.

boostaholic

What happened to that big A$$ turbo that was on there before? Otherwise looking good.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Garrett booster

Looks great yours is a lot farther along than mine. My block is still sitting at the shop. But yeah did you ditch the holset idea in favor of a smaller turbo?

Hybrid booster

The holset I had was WAY too big. I am using a stock T2 turbo with a .63 phurd housing for now until I find a non wastegated H1C.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Wow. how did i miss this thread for this long? nate let me know when u want me to swing by and help! u know im busy these next two weekends but after that im free.

boostaholic

So is the tee on the back of the head the oil supply line for the head and the turbo?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

nice job nate.

i have one of these heads sitting at my house as well.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

looks good...keep in mind that oil will eventually eat jb weld, if that is what you used to seal the oil returns as it looks in one of the pics

Hybrid booster

Yes, the tee is the oil feed for the head and turbo. I figure it's easier to do that with stuff I had laying around than to have new lines made.

Dana, you're blind. That's how you missed it. All I need is my cam gears back from the machine shop, buy a timing belt, get the 4" tubing and have it welded for the intake and it's in the car time. Ill def need help with that.

Brian, me thinks that a hybrid would look just as good in your 2 door as it will in my 4 door. Sounds like it's time for a hybrid conversion.

And yes, I know the JB weld won't hold forever. It was just to make sure they won't leak. The fittings in the head are very tight so no worries there, but the drains into the pan will need to be done with some better pipe and welds.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

yeah I know its time.

ive been gathering parts for a little while. i am getting one of those neon coil adapters from 90TurboVan on TD, i have the head and 2.0L cams and a stratus intake. all ill be using the distributor for is for the synch signals so i dont have to have the cap on there. it will be pretty low profile. i just need cindys cam gears and to start fabbing things up. i have a borg warner s200 turbo as well. hope its not too big on the exhaust side as i havent measured it yet.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor whywoody's Avatar

What exactly happens to the JB weld when exposed to oil?
    I've had mine running for along time now and haven't had leaks with any of the JB I used,and it's everywhere lol!

Hybrid booster

Well I ordered my megasquirt today. Easier to do that than to burn chips and keep swapping them out. Got it for a good price so I snagged it. Cam gears should be done next week and then its gettin close to bein done. I can't wait.

Hybrid booster

Engine is almost complete. Just a few things to do and in the car it goes. Here are some recent pics. And yes, they are kinda blurry, I know.I also bought a bigger turbo. Not sure exactly what I bought but its pretty big. Got a good deal on it and the Turbonetics Evolution wastegate so I bought them.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by whywoody View Post
    What exactly happens to the JB weld when exposed to oil?
    I've had mine running for along time now and haven't had leaks with any of the JB I used,and it's everywhere lol!
    It eventually becomes brittle and falls apart. That said, I filled the O-ring grooves in my block with JB weld because it became impossible to find the proper gauge copper wire and ran the car like that for two years with no problems.

boostaholic

looking good, are you going to be fabbing up a custom intake or just using the stratus one? Also what timing belt tensioner are you running?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Hybrid booster

I'm using the stratus intake for the time being. My custom intake is being made. I'm running a tall deck timing belt tensioner flipped around and mounted in the bottom hole for the power steering bracket. Works perfect. Engine is in the car now and almost everything is hooked up. Tackling the MegaSquirt wiring is next on the chopping block.

Garrett booster

This may be a stupid question, but is there a method to choosing where your oil feed, oil drain, and pressure equilization lines go, or is it just anywhere that makes it easy to route the lines?

This is probably a stupid question, so feel free to give me the idiot proof answer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast