Thread: Put a 555/520 shifter in a 92 Daytona?

Put a 555/520 shifter in a 92 Daytona?

Okay well if you read my other thread in this section, my dad's having trouble with the auto trans in his 2.5l n/a 92 daytona. So I want to steer him towards going to a 5sp, probably a 520 because they are good enough for his uses and much easier to find around here than a 523/568. I know clutch pedals, cable and everything about physically putting the trans in his car would be pretty straightforward. My only question is the shifter/cables. If his was a 2nd gen daytona, I know putting the shifter/cables in from a 520/555 is not that hard. Is the 3rd gen going to be as easy to put a 520 into? Or is it going to be harder to mount the shifter/cables because it's really wanting a 523/568 and not a 520? Or are both setups pretty much the same?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Put a 555/520 shifter in a 92 Daytona?

The passage holes for the cables are slightly different, but that's about it. As far as I know, it should be pretty much a bolt in deal. The tricky part is going to be finding a decent console for the car.

Console won't be easy to find, I know. I might be able to find one off someone on here, but if push comes to shove I can just grab a spare auto console out of the junkyard, cut it to fit the manual shifter and then use an aftermarket shift boot.

How different is the routing of the shift cables? Do the 520/555 cables go thru the floor at a slightly different position than the 523/568 cables? If that's all it is, does't sound like a big deal, just some extra measuring when pulling from the donor car and mounting in this one.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaturbo87 View Post
    How different is the routing of the shift cables? Do the 520/555 cables go thru the floor at a slightly different position than the 523/568 cables? If that's all it is, does't sound like a big deal, just some extra measuring when pulling from the donor car and mounting in this one.
    Yep, that's all it should be. Of course, being an automatic car, the hole might be completely different from a 5-speed, you may have to cut your own.

turbo addict

A520/555 cars have ONE large cable hole.
    A523/A568 cars have two small holes

Thanks for the info. From my experience, auto cars are still dimpled where the holes for the shift cables should go. I guess if putting in a 520/555 I'll have to disregard any dimples and measure and drill hole in same position as it was on the donor car.