Thread: A413 question, different versions?

Hybrid booster

A413 question, different versions?

Ok well I understand there was a "Turbo" A413 with an extra clutch and a regular A413 for non-turbo cars. I have heard from some places that the N/A A413 from a minivan is essentially the same as the "Turbo" A413. Is this true? Are there any differences? I can't find any turbo cars around where I live to pull a turbo A413 out to replace my dead one but there are plenty of N/A Caravans and Voyagers around here. I assume the torque converter is not interchangable at the least, because of the stall... Thanks for the help!

turbo addict

Re: A413 question, different versions?

Not to hijack but maybe give you one more option, the neon 3 speed is the exact same tranny and from my understanding its stronger. you can remove the guts from the neon unit and move them into the 2.2/2.5 bell housing.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    Not to hijack but maybe give you one more option, the neon 3 speed is the exact same tranny and from my understanding its stronger. you can remove the guts from the neon unit and move them into the 2.2/2.5 bell housing.
    2nd that Ive done this many times 95 and up neon 3 speed has the big clutch drums,5 pinion planetaries,big diff bearing etc.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Did the 3.0L van use a 413?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

no the 3.0 uses a different trans..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

turbo addict

The A670 three speed in the 3.0s is essentially an A413 with a different bellhousing, internal parts swap over. The A604 4 speed is the totally different one.

In the 2.5 N/A minivans, the A413 has a lockup TC, stall I think is higher than in some of the N/A cars, think it's somewhere around 2000-2200 RPM, whereas some of the N/A cars had stall a little lower than that. You could probably swap one in to "drive around" while you get a turbo trans built with minimal issues.

(I never understood the new "duty rating" numbering on the trannies, why only a 31 for the old reliable and now strengthened A413, holds up better than some of the 42s)

Edit: oh yeah, you might find larger diff bearing from the later A670s an easier swap than the neons, since I think the diff housing was modified for the neon (Hence why fun and games are to be had putting in neon OBXes.) From an A670, you should just need the left side bearing retainer, the left side extension housing and the diff, and if you don't have to change out ring gears or get it reshimmed it should just bolt together.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The 3.0L trans came with the added clutch packs so if you could grab one of those, you could swap the guts into a A413 case. N/A's got lower stall converters and will work in a pinch. LU converters will work without the lockup if you swap over the input shaft.
    N/A van trannies only had 3 disc clutches unless the rebuild shop just used whatever they had kicking around, and it could work in the reverse, a turbo trans could have n/a internals-seen that a few times.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

TBI Mini's did not have a lockup 413, at least not in '89, and used a higher (numerically) final drive ratio (3.22:1 vs 3.02:1 for turbo applications). Turbo mini transmissions will be stamped 4531098 or 4531099 by the pan. Stall speed was different between turbo and non turbo. I have heard this rumour about TBI mini 413's having the extra clutch, but have yet to hear from anyone who can verify it. Being that the application numbers and ring gears were different between the two, it seems unlikely that the TBI minivans ever received turbo transmissions. As has been pointed out before, any transmission of this age may have been rebuilt at some point, and there is no guessing as to whether or not it would have received the turbo or tbi parts.

I am sure Vans still got the 3.02:1 gearing. I need to find my chart.

turbo addict

Yeah, and I'm sure the '89 TBI I sent to the wrecker in October had lockup.

Mitsu booster

I could be wrong of course . I am basing my statement on a relatively narrow scope of experience. The application numbers for 89-90 TBI minivans show a 3.22 final drive with a 1.06 transfer/3.05 ring combo. Turbocharged applications show a 1.06/2.86 combo giving 3.02 final drive. The transmission currently in my 89 Caravan Turbo was removed from an 89 TBI Voyager (although what it came out of means very little, as it may not have been original). It does, however, carry the number 4531086, which is consistent with what should have been in an '89 Voyager TBI. Although I haven't visually inspected the transfer gears, it definitely is a "feels" like a 3.22 rather than a 3.02. There is also no provision for the lockup solenoid next to the dipstick. Although most already know, turbo minivan A413's should carry the number 4531098 or 4531099.

I was under the assumption that a turbo minivan A413 transmission was a stronger trans. That's why I bought a used one from a guy with a turbo mini van. Trans even is marked turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman87 View Post
    I was under the assumption that a turbo minivan A413 transmission was a stronger trans. That's why I bought a used one from a guy with a turbo mini van. Trans even is marked turbo.
    Nope, thats a myth,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info