Thread: VNT failure mode?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

VNT failure mode?

My '89 CSX quit making boost, but it runs okay otherwise. I pulled the intake hose off and tried to spin the turbo by hand. It spins about 1/3 of a rotation in either direction, but then it's stopped by something. The compressor wheel looks okay, spins freely before it stops, has no play, and there's no evidence it's hit the housing. Is there a known failure mode like this for a VNT? Or do I have some debris or something in it, maybe on the turbine side?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: VNT failure mode?

Sounds like what happened to the Spirit. In that case the thrust washer split and allowed the turbine wheel to contact the backing plate and STOP. Upon disassembly, I found the compressor wheel to have just kissed the housing with no apparent damage. Pretty much the same thing on the turbine side, except that wheel contacted the backing plate. Seems the thrust washer failed rather abruptly. I can only guess that a lack of oil was to blame, though nothing was plugged up. Here are a few pictures of what I found, hope it's something less, and not more than what you see here.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT Turbo A.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	6842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT Turbo B.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	6843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT Turbo C.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	6844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT Turbo D.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	347.3 KB 
ID:	6845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT Turbo E.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	6846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT Turbo F.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	6847  

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The first pic looks like it got a bit of dirt in it and ground it down, ditto for the 5th and 6th pics.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Use K and N much?

This is inside the turbo, an air filter is not to blame.. If it is a t3 turbine and center section, then the weaker t3 center section failed. My guess is hybrids just suck because of this imbalance. It is a neat idea for the packaging into our engines but may be the compromise.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

looks like you were getting thrust in there some how.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
    This is inside the turbo, an air filter is not to blame.. If it is a t3 turbine and center section, then the weaker t3 center section failed. My guess is hybrids just suck because of this imbalance. It is a neat idea for the packaging into our engines but may be the compromise.
    From being on the forums, I have yet to see a rash of hybrid failures?

Yes, a bad air filter lets dirt into the engine, which will get past the rings and wear the engine from the inside out. Thats why racers don't run air filters because they constantly rebuild there engines so they don't care,

BTW, nothing wrong with K@N filters, propaganda running wild, lol!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yes, a bad air filter lets dirt into the engine, which will get past the rings and wear the engine from the inside out. Thats why racers don't run air filters because they constantly rebuild there engines so they don't care,

Nah, they run bareback to help port things out for more powah!

Quote Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
    Nah, they run bareback to help port things out for more powah!
    Hahhhaa, yeah, extrude honing baby,

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hey Mike - I, certainly am not an expert, but it looks like oiling failure - presssure or contanimantion. If the oil filter goes into by pass mode, then debris can get to the turbo. Your failure analysis might benefit if you cut the filter open and look to see how clogged or not it is.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Well, this is just bizarre. My daughter said the CSX suddenly started making boost again on her way home today. I took it out just now and drove it, and sure enough, it seems fine. Normal boost, no weird noises, no smoke. I can only assume there is now some piece of debris either up against the cat or the intercooler inlet. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Hey Mike - I, certainly am not an expert, but it looks like oiling failure - pressure or contamination. If the oil filter goes into by pass mode, then debris can get to the turbo. Your failure analysis might benefit if you cut the filter open and look to see how clogged or not it is.
    This is what I thought too, that or debris. I'm leaning toward the oiling as the turbo still had the sintered bronze filter in-line, and it was not plugged at all. I'm guessing that my oil pump failure was some time in coming and just didn't get noticed. I'd only had the car a week or two when this happened, and still don't know what "normal" is on the oil pressure gauge. Really wish Chryco would have gone to the trouble to actually put numbers on their gauges!!

Good to hear the VNT is working again. If it wasn't for the compressor wheel not moving I'd have bet it was the vanes sticking. Oh well guess we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Mike