Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are sensa-trac?

TurboII

How are sensa-trac?

I drive an 88 chrysler lebaron 2dr turbo. i was told the shocks and struts will swap from a 89 shelby daytona. I was about to buy the stuff today cause i work at napa and had the chose of KYB or Monroe. Kyb is a little to pricey for something thats a DD. My question is the 89 shelby daytona already has stiffer struts and springs from the factory. Will i just be better off with sensa-trac? i heard good things about them. Besides the Kyb gas adjust is a one size fits all rather then the shelby daytona has a different part number and chart shows its stiffer then other TD's. Im not looking for anything fancy just something thats a bit stiffer then my lebaron. I understand the monroe are factory replacements which that what im looking for since the daytona is stiff from the fatcory.

Joey

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: How are sensa-trac?

Moved this to the Suspension section for you Joey. I've never tried the sensa-tracs personally and wasn't aware they offered a different part# for Daytona Shelby, that's interesting news, and it's possible that part# may perform better than the others which I haven't heard many positive reveiws on.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

I've had Sensatrac's on a 90 Daytona and an 88 Shadow.
    On the Daytona I had them front and back. They didn't last very long and went out quickly; about a year and a half. The Daytona drove so bad ly that my wife spun out in the ditch one time before I started checking things. The rear shocks were shot. The front struts also had one go bad. I changed out to KYBs and I had no more problems. They have been on the vehicle three years and are still good.
    The Sensatracs on the front of the Shadow were with Daytona Shelby springs. The springs lower the car and Sensatracs don't like this. It kept bottoming out. I went to KYBs on the front and no more problems.
    Sensatracs are cheaper than KYB but you aren't saving anything. They don't last. I will never by Sensatracs on any vehicle again.

TurboII

I had sensa-trac on my baron for about 4 years and they work great but thats the front struts only. The rears forget about it, within about 2 years they get trashed from the heavy accel. But i was about to order the KYBs from a daytona but it was a one size fits all type and ran about 37 bucks apiece (my cost) plus tax and shipping cost were the rears shocks costed about 91 and some change. were as the sensa-trac went for 17 apiece had a spec chart and didnt have to wait 8 days and pay for shipping.

Sensa tracs wore prematurely for me, I'd bite the bullet and go with KYB they are a better name and have the rep to back it up.

TurboII

might as well right then but damn, grand total of 190 bucks wow. arnt then GR-2 factory replacements. thats what they have for struts but for the back they have gas adjust.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    I had sensa-trac on my baron for about 4 years and they work great but thats the front struts only. The rears forget about it, within about 2 years they get trashed from the heavy accel. But i was about to order the KYBs from a daytona but it was a one size fits all type and ran about 37 bucks apiece (my cost) plus tax and shipping cost were the rears shocks costed about 91 and some change. were as the sensa-trac went for 17 apiece had a spec chart and didnt have to wait 8 days and pay for shipping.
    holy crap...how long about did you buy kybs at 37 a piece they are about 47 a piece (front) 21 each rear, for me with my parts discount :|

i was going to go with kybs gr2's on all fours, and eibach springs and new strut mounts for about 450 all said and done. Not to bad, concidering my friends car that is the cost of JUST kyb's

how do the gr2's handle, am i better off buying koni's down the road used?

turbo addict

Sensa ----'s SUCK! They position sensative not speed sensative like normal shocks. So they don't stiffen up till their at their extreme ends of travel. So you get a caddillac ride until their about ready to bottom out. The previous owner of my car put them on and I hated them. A friend put them on his tona after I told him not to. He yanked them off less than 3 months later and put on normal shocks. They're junk. Right out of the box.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Sensa ----'s SUCK! They position sensative not speed sensative like normal shocks. So they don't stiffen up till their at their extreme ends of travel. So you get a caddillac ride until their about ready to bottom out. The previous owner of my car put them on and I hated them. A friend put them on his tona after I told him not to. He yanked them off less than 3 months later and put on normal shocks. They're junk. Right out of the box.
    yeah ive heard such things before even though at our parts store, they are the 'better shocks' :| i cant imagine the relex's or magums

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    yeah ive heard such things before even though at our parts store, they are the 'better shocks' :| i cant imagine the relex's or magums
    Reflex and Gas Magnums are great shocks but they don't make them for our cars.

KYB's are good as are Gabriels VST line.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I have Sensa-Tracs shocks on the rear of my '91 Daytona Shelby (they came with the car). They are about a year, but they seem to be holding on pretty good. I haven't ridden in any other turbo mopar but mine, so I can't really give a good comparison, but it is FAR from a Cadillac ride. The shocks seem firm enough (maybe slightly better than stock would be?), but I don't think I'd keep them if I was doing any kind of Autocrossing. My rear-end seems to hold on corners nice and tight until a certain point where it just seems to let go. Keep in mind my experience with shocks are limited to just these...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Reflex and Gas Magnums are great shocks but they don't make them for our cars.

KYB's are good as are Gabriels VST line.
    i heard the magnums are more for 'truck use' thats at least what i was told, my dakota i can get either the sensacraps or reflexs but another guy said the sensatracks are better then the reflex's especially if offroading, i'll have to read up on these more and not get people input, more facts

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    i heard the magnums are more for 'truck use' thats at least what i was told, my dakota i can get either the sensacraps or reflexs but another guy said the sensatracks are better then the reflex's especially if offroading, i'll have to read up on these more and not get people input, more facts
    Gas Magnums are heavy duty truck shocks. I would not put Sensa tracks on a truck. Reflex are the same as Rancho's RSX and are good shocks, there a great dual purpose shock. For me, there expensive but Rancho 5000 Series are the best shock out there. I am told the Bilsteins are a good truck shock but scared to try them as they have no money back guarantee.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

My brother is running the most expensive bilsteins on his 02' cummins ram, cost him like over a grand for all 4 shocks or something insane like that. He said the ride is like night and day though.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have GR2s on my Voyager and they are perfect for it. I think they would be too soft for the Shadow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Hybrid booster

i have them on my charger 1.7 60 ft times with a stick work great top fuel bender has them on his omni for eight years now no problems. i also use them on most of customer's cars never had any problems

turbo addict

I drive an 88 chrysler lebaron 2dr turbo. i was told the shocks and struts will swap from a 89 shelby daytona. I was about to buy the stuff today cause i work at napa and had the chose of KYB or Monroe. Kyb is a little to pricey for something thats a DD. My question is the 89 shelby daytona already has stiffer struts and springs from the factory. Will i just be better off with sensa-trac? i heard good things about them. Besides the Kyb gas adjust is a one size fits all rather then the shelby daytona has a different part number and chart shows its stiffer then other TD's. Im not looking for anything fancy just something thats a bit stiffer then my lebaron. I understand the monroe are factory replacements which that what im looking for since the daytona is stiff from the fatcory.

Joey
    Joey, the Sens-a-Crap name says it all. Please do not spend you're hard earned money on infirior parts becuase of thier lower price tag. I have first hand experience with the Monroe's as they are on the front of my 92 Daytona ES, I hate them. Go to the dealer and get the good stuff.

Also while on the subject of garbage parts foisted upon us by the aftermarket, I've had absolutly terrible experinces with TRW ball joints and tie rod ends. They don't hold thier alignment settings and prematurley fail in about a year even with schedluled lubrication. Any one else have a similar experince??? I've gone through 2 sets in as many years and I've had enough. Anyone use other brands with success????

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    Also while on the subject of garbage parts foisted upon us by the aftermarket, I've had absolutly terrible experinces with TRW ball joints and tie rod ends. They don't hold thier alignment settings and prematurley fail in about a year even with schedluled lubrication. Any one else have a similar experince??? I've gone through 2 sets in as many years and I've had enough. Anyone use other brands with success????
    Yes, its been covered a 1000 times, Use Spicer or Napa Gold,

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    Joey, the Sens-a-Crap name says it all. Please do not spend you're hard earned money on infirior parts becuase of thier lower price tag. I have first hand experience with the Monroe's as they are on the front of my 92 Daytona ES, I hate them. Go to the dealer and get the good stuff.

Dealer sells struts and springs for these cars still.

Joey

Dealer sells struts and springs for these cars still.

Joey
    Dealer might struts, also check www.rockauto.com, https://www.dodgeparts.com/oe_parts_...6619bb6773ce4a and http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Springs, would be aftermarket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast