Thread: To Thermal Coat Or Not?

To Thermal Coat Or Not?

I'll be getting a TU cast header and I want to know if everyone thinks that the thermal coating is worth it or not.

Re: To Thermal Coat Or Not?

It can only help, but I would do the scroll and swingvalve too.
    I tryed diy techline black satin and after 6 months on my swingvalve it was already shot. The manifold looked rusty too after some time- 1.5 years. I prepped the best I could and sanblasted and cleaned again before spraying.
    There is a company called jet-hot. That stuff looks good and lots of hot rods run that.
    I also put a thermal blanket under my intake manifold, it is like a fiberglass mat with sticky backing and foil I got from summit.

Well, I just got the SV, so I guess I'll have to send it to Jet Hot. I was considering using them to do my DP but I had a ton of people tell me it was a waste. If I do the header I'll have Chris do it.

Also, what's the difference between the cast and SS header? I assume the SS is welded? Any flow differences?

Our new header is made of cast iron and flows 484 lbs per minute. Our previous version was welded stainless steel elbows and flowed around 400 lbs per minute.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

The ported manifold on my Shadow was Jet-hot coated. I bought the manifold used and it the coating was nice then, still looks the same now even after 7 years of running it.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I say go with the coating, but as stated eariler, if you are gonna do it, get your turbine housing and swingvalve coated too.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I would do it, I used www.performancecoatings.com did an awesome job,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Our new header is made of cast iron and flows 484 lbs per minute. Our previous version was welded stainless steel elbows and flowed around 400 lbs per minute.

Chris-TU
    Oh nice! So it flows better, sweet!

Well, so thermal coating and an EGT bung.

I must say Chris you've got some great deals!

turbo addict

Get the Jet HOT 2000 coating or the equivalent from another coating company.
    I think HPC might have a "bling" friendly high temp coating but im not sure if its really up to snuff. Some 3/S vendors use it but I am not convinced.

Considering where your turbo is, bling doesnt really matter though. Flat black or grey aint gonna hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Get the Jet HOT 2000 coating or the equivalent from another coating company.
    I think HPC might have a "bling" friendly high temp coating but im not sure if its really up to snuff. Some 3/S vendors use it but I am not convinced.

Considering where your turbo is, bling doesnt really matter though. Flat black or grey aint gonna hurt.
    Nope, I don't care how it looks.

I'll have to talk to them since I would have to send out the SV anyhow.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post

Chris-TU
    Wow! that's a rather large difference.

Hybrid booster

the ceramic that looks like powder coat that is 2,300 degree material is different than the shiny near crome looking stuff. The pretty stuff looks the way it does because it has aluminum in it. The pretty stuff is a 1,400-1,600 degree material and can flake off and fly into the turbine. Jet Hot only coats the outside of the exhaust, which I don't like. The exhaust is still hit with the heat and mosture and can rot. The local guy here does them for $100 or less with the 2,000 + degree material inside and out. After running his stuff I noticed no discoloring or flaking or anything wrong with it. The only down side I've found is the TU 3" donuts stick to the stuff and jerk the exhaust around a bit at first.

Mitsu booster

i dont understand why you would want the inside done?? what moisture is in the exhaust manifold????

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ke6960 View Post
    i dont understand why you would want the inside done?? what moisture is in the exhaust manifold????
    to minimize "heat soak" I would imagine...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    still looks the same now even after 7 years of running it.
    You have something thats ran for 7 years?!?!?!?! Sorry dave, I couldnt resist!
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    Jet Hot only coats the outside of the exhaust, which I don't like.
    I dont know where you have received your info, but as a mulit-time Jet-Hot user, I can tell you they do indeed coat the inside of your header. Its part of their lifetime guarantee if you have a new header coated by them before installation.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ke6960 View Post
    You want the inside done as exhaust gases are very corrosive and act like a blow torch over time. If you work on cars all the time, you'll notice alot of pipe rot at the bends and from the inside out.

I just sent Performance Coatings my race bike pistons, oil pan and exhaust system. I'll post up pics of the exhaust done inside and out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info