Thread: 555 or 568

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

555 or 568

looking at doing this T-II to T-III swap and was looking for feedback on which trans to run. Keep the a555 or go with the large spline a568. If a change to the 568 will the shifter be hard to change. Will also have to return the clutch I just bought. Cindy will be so mad.

turbo addict

Re: 555 or 568

It's all a preference thing. I prefer A555, I like its shifting better. And I can get a lot more A555 as backup than A568.

Shifter and cables are not hard to change.

boostaholic

Well,if you go with the TIII swap the 568 will be better if you are using the stock TIII electronics since the 568 has the crank sensor already(if its an R/T 568) But if you go with the 555 and want to run TIII electronics I have a drill jig to put a crank sensor in a 555. I would say 568 because if the better bearing race on the main shaft as they seen to last longer. 555s have been known to chew that bearing up and once that happens you are done.

With a 555 you will have to put a Chrome moly transplate on, but then the trans is pretty much as strong as a 568. Other than that, it's all a matter of preferance as tryingbe said. I like the reverse lockout and up to the left, and I've driven an A523 car and like my 555 shifter feel better.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

just keep in mind that one of the bearings in the 555 rides directly on one of the shaft surfaces in there and over time, the metal can fatigue and crumble and there isnt a replacement shaft that you can easily obtain.

the 568 doesnt suffer from this problem apparently.

with that, i might try to find a 568 first. overall the strength of the two is about equal once the 555 has the plate.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Most people have been going to the A523, still a very stout trans (~400 WHP), and is by FAR more readily available and cheaper.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    just keep in mind that one of the bearings in the 555 rides directly on one of the shaft surfaces in there and over time, the metal can fatigue and crumble and there isnt a replacement shaft that you can easily obtain.

the 568 doesnt suffer from this problem apparently.

Brian
    Correct,the 568 has a tool steel bearing race pressed onto the main shaft as the 555 does not. The 555 shaft is not hard enough and with either not enough oil or plate deflection it will tear the shaft up where the bearing race is. When that happens the shaft is junk and so are some if not all of your speed gears from being mis-aligned after it breaks. Its safe to say the whole trans is close to junk after that because then the bearing itself comes apart and destroys the case. The chrome-moly plate helps alot but it is still not as goos as the 568s design. I have yet to see a 568 break a bearing there and I have had about 5 555s do it so far.

As Moparzrule stated,the 523 is a very good little trans as it too has that hardened bearing race like the 568. I have never hurt a 523 either and I have one behind a TIII in my Spirit R/T that beat the crap out of all the time.