Thread: Rough idle, missing, black smoke, etc.

Hybrid booster

Rough idle, missing, black smoke, etc.

Runs really rough on start up, idles down and shakes. The idle smooths out once the car is warm, however that takes awhile due to the weather... It is obviously missfiring, the plugs had soot on them and there is a fairly large black spot on my garage floor from the exhaust.

Could cam timing cause this? I lined up the arrows (well arrow I can't see the left one for the life of me) with the casting line on the head and it looks good there. However when I put the belt cover back on and look in the inspection hole the slot in the cam gear is off centered and to the left.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Last edited by RJ138; 12-30-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Rough idle, missing, black smoke, etc.

Your cam timing is definatley off, and did you try to set the ignition timing?

I like to draw a line from the center of the valve cover and back of the cam gear, makes it fool proof. Also, remove the cap and check rotor location or remove the dist.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Set the ignition timing at 10 degrees. I will move the cam a tooth or two clockwise then.

Noob question here... Will turning the cam clockwise advance or retard the cam?

Thanks!

It looks like your out one tooth.

I always forget which way is what, I have it written down at work. I believe that advancing the cam you turn it backwards, retarding is forwards IE clockwise.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Thanks!

No, advancing the cam is clockwise. The engine spins clockwise, so if you set if a tooth further clockwise that is advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    No, advancing the cam is clockwise. The engine spins clockwise, so if you set if a tooth further clockwise that is advanced.
    I am going to add this to an faq now.

Hybrid booster

It runs so smooth now, I love it. Just need to change the oil (from all the gas) and put new plugs in then it should be back to normal.

I like to line up the timing marks on the bellhousing at zero, then I put the right sized drill bit in the small hole in the cam gear with the timing cover installed and the plug removed. It's much easier to tell if the cam is set correctly with this method. For some reason seeing the drill bit sticking out of the hole in the cover is so much easier than trying to guess if you have the arrows on the gear lined up right.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    I like to line up the timing marks on the bellhousing at zero, then I put the right sized drill bit in the small hole in the cam gear with the timing cover installed and the plug removed. It's much easier to tell if the cam is set correctly with this method. For some reason seeing the drill bit sticking out of the hole in the cover is so much easier than trying to guess if you have the arrows on the gear lined up right.
    i agree, he showed me this and it made it alot easier to visually tell that the timing is correct

Garrett booster

No, advancing the cam is clockwise.- The engine spins clockwise, so if you set if a tooth further clockwise that is advanced.
    Actually...this was one tooth retarded. One tooth clockwise from where it was showing in the first picture would be straight up for the timing...two teeth clockwise from where it was in the picture would be advanced. I have a large plastic mirror that originally graced the top of a sunglass display that I use for looking at the front of the cam gear to see the arrows. Too easy this way, and the plastic is way safer than glass. Bob.

I wasn't stating anything about anyone's car, I was only stating that turning the cam clockwise advances it.

Garrett booster

I wasn't stating anything about anyone's car, I was only stating that turning the cam clockwise advances it.
    Exactly ...And I was only on about the specific picture of the cam gear in this thread. Not to interested in poopin in anybodys cornflakes either. Life's too short.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by RJ138 View Post
    Runs really rough on start up, idles down and shakes. The idle smooths out once the car is warm, however that takes awhile due to the weather... It is obviously missfiring, the plugs had soot on them and there is a fairly large black spot on my garage floor from the exhaust.

Could cam timing cause this? I lined up the arrows (well arrow I can't see the left one for the life of me) with the casting line on the head and it looks good there. However when I put the belt cover back on and look in the inspection hole the slot in the cam gear is off centered and to the left.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    you just shed new light to my problem same crap was happening to me. i would line the cam up according to the little casting lines but i don't have a cam cover to show me that it would be off so i'll try moving it forward a notch and try it from there. just wondering when it would start was it bogging really bad and miss firing at higher rpms? hopefully this is my cure cause i've about had it with this thing!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by azkcar135 View Post
    ....hopefully this is my cure cause i've about had it with this thing!
    HA-HA-HA.. The CLASSIC TD quote of the century!! I think that should be a logo that we can put on the valve cover!
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    HA-HA-HA.. The CLASSIC TD quote of the century!! I think that should be a logo that we can put on the valve cover!

lol i've been debating on donating it to the coral reef here in guam too!!!!