Thread: what is the best way to run a Boost controler

Hybrid booster

what is the best way to run a Boost controler

here what i got going on my 89 mini has a 2.2 with a 89 mish. thats to big psi. right now i,am running stright vac. i have a 3inch exth. which in 2 or3 weeks i,am going back to 2 1/2 with high flow cat and new muff. right now it will boost up to 4 to5 psi at reg. gas. but after 4000 rpm at wot it will climb to 10 or more. the semc in it is a 88 vin code a t2 box. should i run fac. boost with o/e vac. line or try to run a b c and deal with boost creap? als

turbo addict

Re: what is the best way to run a Boost controler

You'd want to bypass the factor boost control COMPLETELY. Just run a vacuum line from the compressor housing nipple to the boost controller and the boost controller to the wastegate can.

Upgrade to at least a Garrett TII turbo will get rid off your boost creep.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 12-30-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Agreed, its hard for the computer to control the boost properly with a good flowing setup and a mitsu.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

no it,s stright vac. now, with the garrett it hit 6 then creep to 8 psi but would stop there. it was stright vac too. yes the frist set up was mish. with 2.5 89 semc. with the 3 inch it spiked alot, unlike the garrett whitch was eazyer to stop. now with a more fac. exth. i hope it will not creep up under wot. this is the fourth differant turbo /head set up in the van.its a dd and i liked the extra boost on the highway/ what if i run a differant restickder on the vac. line. putting it back to stock set up. bubba said we could socket the semc and burn a chip. als

turbo addict

the only way to stop boost creep is to make the actuator arm longer therefor less spring pressure, make the wastegate hole bigger, install a larger turbo or cork up the exhaust. What happened to the Garrett? That's the setup to go with. I assume "Mish" Is supposed to be Mitsubishi aka MITSU??

Hybrid booster

i ran the garrett with out oil and water for a day/ i moved the air intake up to the tb but you could here the turbo spooll anyway/ so i did not want to chance it. i have 5 kids and we are down to the van beeing are only ride so i had to make sure it was fixed. plus the garrett was old t1 i converted to a t2 setup just did not trust reuseing it.when i had this motor in my woody wagon i ran a mish. on it and i like the way it ran out beter than the garrett. with a2.2 in the van it seems to work at lower rpm beter. remember i have to drive 400 miles a week to work and back plus take the kids all over the place so relieablety is my goal/ and with a small exth. i hope it won,t over boost. als

turbo addict

well of course the garrett is gonna spool without water and oil. It's got exhaust gasses flowing through it still. Sounds like you better just cork off that exhaust to stop it.

Hybrid booster

i could not un hook the waste gate arm . but i thought the turbo was bad anyway so nothing lost. ya with a smaller exth. i hope to have a beter chance to stop it. but do you think the 88 semc might contral it ? it a 14.5 boost box.als

turbo addict

even with the wastegate arm unhooked the turbo will still spool up. There's still gonna be some exhaust flowing through the turbine. Just because you convert a T1 to a T2 turbo doesn't make it bad. That's all the factory did in reality. If the T1 was good then it should of still been good in T2 status. Now if the T1 was bad or going out well then that's a different story.

If the exhaust is corked up enough The ECU should be able to control it. You might get some boost spiking if the controller is hooked up like stock, but removing the restrictor in the line should take care of that. Probably gonna be a gas hog though with that little 2.2 having to run in boost all the time or close too it to push that van through the air.

Hybrid booster

you might be suprise it gets 24 mpg and does not seem to boost all the time. it is a 5sp. so i get the best of both worlds. two rows of seats and turbo too. most younger guys ask if it turbo after they here it/ but most can,t beleave it 5sp.after cork it up i will fill you in. als