Thread: Turbo Mopar question

Mitsu booster

Smile Turbo Mopar question

Hello everyone im new so i want to say hi and im glad i stumbled across this site! I have owned too many Mopars to count over the years and they are my passion! Anyway i have a 1971 Dodge challenger that i plan on installing a 360 Magnum out of a 1999 Durango and i am swapping all the electronics over, and i will be running a T-56 6-speed, the car has been back-halfed with a sure-grip 3.55 8 3/4 the thing is i want to Turbo the 360 and i have a few questions, should i go twin or single? what size turbo? i really just want some low/mid range power, and leave the engine stock with the exception of some diff. head gaskets motor only has 60,000 on it, id really like to have a solid 450 HP car not out to break any records or win the world! (thats when i was young and dumb and full of...) anyway any suggestions would be much appreciated, Thank you

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Turbo Mopar question

Sweet dude! Welcome aboard! We are glad to have you! You will indeed love this place!

I would so go twins. Probably a set of T3/T04E Super50 StageIII .83a/r turbos. That would set you for an easy 800whp, but keep you at 450-500 on low boost. I designed a turbo calculator if you want to check out the link in my signature.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Wilkommen... There are quite a few people on here from Indiana and Illinois that might be able to offer assistance. There are a lot of variables and items that I would ask before I would say one way or another. Based on what you're saying, you sound like you want it in the lower and middle rpm bands. That would be where a pair of pretty small turbos or one midsize one would be beneficial. If there is a plan to "move higher" later one, I would consider a single bigger turbo. With a solid V8 with decent torque already, you don't want too much power too soon or you would have traction issues, even backhalved, in a car like the '71 Challenger...

I would get a bunch of info here to be sure, but if you're extremely serious about turboing a larger displacement motor over 250ci, I would talk to the Buick GN, GMC Syclone and Typhoon crowds too. They are much more familiar with the requirements of a larger displacement "V" motor with more cylinders and the balance between traction/torque/horsepower/boost. It is easy to get power with a "boost of hot air," but helping the motor survive AND make power is a whole different story ..
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the replies, that calculator is awesome Frank and made my head hurt! lol i have been on a few GN sites before gathering info, just so much info! so little time.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Thanks!

I think the turbos above would suit you well!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict

There are bolt on supercharger setups (including twin screw) for that motor.

Considering your HP goals and the fact that you are not looking for top end........I also dont think your mileage can get much worse with a super then the 360 already gets.

Frank's turbos are a bit top end biased but Im sure he can give some different suggestions. just reading up on ash's TT v8 sbc car should give you an idea.

Then again, I think larger turbos making boost later in the rpm range are easier on the motor then small turbos making low end power. You seem motor conscious so I would say low end emphasis isnt going to help that.