Thread: low rpm whine

low rpm whine

ok I have a weird issue here. The other day I woke up and tried to start my car and of course it didnt feel like running, go figure. So after trying a bunch of different things and after a lot of cranking and no starting I came to the conclusion that my timing belt had skipped a bit(it was loose). Today I finally re-timed it and got it running again but now I have this odd whine that comes and goes randomly. It only does it around idle and turning the wheel doesnt stop it(I thought maybe it was the power steering pump). Oil pressure is good, oil level is good, power steering fluid level is good. I cant really tell where its coming from though, it almost sounds like its from under the valve cover but I cant pinpoint it

stock TII except cam
    about 10,000 miles since rebuild
    FM 475 Cam

any ideas?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: low rpm whine

Your timing belt is too tight. Did you do the 90 deg trick?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

didnt think about that, so what is actually doing the whining? the tensioner?

I lined up the flywheel mark with the 0 degree mark in the transmission window, then took off the distributor and set the slot in line with the cylinders, and then set the cam. Or do you mean twisting the belt 90 degrees to check the tension?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

It could be the belt-too tight will whine, or it could the tensioner pulley, do the 90 deg twist to tension the belt. It could also be an old belt that whines too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Remove the accessory belt and try it to rule out any of the accessories.