Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red coolant

Red coolant

I have two turbo engine to install in the next week or so and was wondering if anyone has used the ""red/orange" coolent as I have GALLONS laying around but have ran out of the green .

Just trying to save an few bucks.
    thanks paul B

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Red coolent

That should work fine, both are compatible with steel and aluminum. Only issue I've seen with some of the red or orange coolants is that they can stain stuff if there is a leak. I remember a friend using the GM orange stuff back when it first came out and it made a mess of his engine bay when a hose let loose. Wasn't easy at all to clean up and required many parts be repainted as a result of the incident.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The Dexcool stuff does tend to gel up. You must change it more often than the good ol green stuff.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

A friend of mine that works as GM techincan says the same thing.

He told me not to use DexCool in any of my cars unless I change the fluid once a year. He told me about all the warranty radiators his Dealership replaces a few years after a car is sold. He has pulled radiators that were solid as a rock.

later

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    The Dexcool stuff does tend to gel up. You must change it more often than the good ol green stuff.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

yeah, I would stick with the green. The pure dexcool stuff doesnt mix with the traditional ethylene glycol, and like has been said with out good maintenance it turns to poo in the engine.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    yeah, I would stick with the green. The pure dexcool stuff doesnt mix with the traditional ethylene glycol, and like has been said with out good maintenance it turns to poo in the engine.
    That is probably the most important information. THere was many a coolant system my dad had to flush and even unclog because they mixed the two and when it sits, it gels. When it gels you get overheating conditions, etc.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Just stick with the green stuff, Dexcool likes to plug things up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

someone converted my '97 blazer to the green stuff before i bought it, but every time i take the radiator cap off i'm reminded that it came with dexcool from the factory. look at the pictures here, then tell me again that you'd ever put dexcool within a 10 mile radius of your cooling system: http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm

Re: Red coolant

I wonder why some vehicles are affected and some aren't. My 98 Jimmy has not issues with Dexcool and its got 180,000 km's?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I wonder why some vehicles are affected and some aren't. My 98 Jimmy has not issues with Dexcool and its got 180,000 km's?
    contamination from quick lube shops topping up fluids maybe. Just like 604 failures and ATF+3, really why people trust 15 year olds to do maintenance on a 20k + investment is beyond me.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Your a mechanic Simon. You probably take proper care of your car. That, or GM paid you off!
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

I've never had any problems with my wife's '04 Cavalier, but I change the coolant at 30,000 mile intervals.

Garrett booster

Last time I changed my coolant I used this red stuff that the shop uses on highway tractors....Never had any issues with it in the ol' Omni.

Your a mechanic Simon. You probably take proper care of your car. That, or GM paid you off!
    Shhhhhhhh, or people will want a piece of the pie,

I should have added my customer vehicles don't either and i never change the stuff until the required mileage/time BUT thinking about it, if it has a leaking intake/head gasket, it does turn cruddy, so never mind,

How hard is it to convert a red-coolant vehicle to the standard green coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    How hard is it to convert a red-coolant vehicle to the standard green coolant?
    Flush it really really really well. Several times. Then when you think it's completely clean, flush it again!!

Prestone makes a really good coolant flush.

Another tip to add here. Defintely use distilled, mineral free water. Tap water, and especially well water can have minerals in it that can really accelerate cooling system corrosion.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Another tip to add here. Defintely use distilled, mineral free water. Tap water, and especially well water can have minerals in it that can really accelerate cooling system corrosion.
    this is why I typically by the premixed stuff. Its a bit more expensive, BUT its mixed correctly, and with distilled water.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

this is why I typically by the premixed stuff. Its a bit more expensive, BUT its mixed correctly, and with distilled water.
    You're right, and when you add in the cost of distilled water, which is still only like a buck a gallon, it gets a bit more reasonable.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by magtec View Post
    someone converted my '97 blazer to the green stuff before i bought it, but every time i take the radiator cap off i'm reminded that it came with dexcool from the factory. look at the pictures here, then tell me again that you'd ever put dexcool within a 10 mile radius of your cooling system: http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm
    Exactly what my LeBaron radiator looked like. The crossdrills on the head and block were also plugged solid. The radiator guy said he had a hell of a time cleaning the radiator and that it looked like a recent recore. Avoid the stuff like the plague.
    Frank H.

on a related subject. Our old 04 durango had orange coolant, as did my dads 04 Ram. Is this the same as Dexcool? Im thinking it was something different, but still not the old green ethylene glycol.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast