Thread: Magnetic oil drain plug

Magnetic oil drain plug

So I bought one of the magnetic oil drain plugs for the Daytona when I put it together. This is the first time I've used one. I've only done 3 oil changes so far (including the original break-in/flush-out change after the build), but each time that little magnet has picked up some disturbing little metal bits. I expected some fuzz, but not these little flakes and bits. I cut the filter open on this last change and didn't find anything unusual in there.

The car runs fine, and its quiet. Compression is good and I've put about 8000 miles on it so far. I am probably going to pull the pan in the spring and check and rod and main bearings. I'm wondering if its the oil pump gear.

I'm just curious if anyone else has one of these and what they find at a typical oil change.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Magnetic oil drain plug

I've recently installed them in all my TDs. I've only had to change the oil once on each but so far just a tiny bit of semi metallic gunk stuck to them, nothing major. The ones I'm using are the ones FWDP sells.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Haven't tried one in any of mine yet. I would be afraid to see what comes out of some of my engines.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Garrett booster

Thumbs up Re: Magnetic oil drain plug

Been using for long time(since mid 80's) ,seems to be a little matter every now and then. BB

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ain't it amazin. No matter how careful you are - there it is. Some dang piece of metal. Through hard experience I change filters immediately after first warm up, cut em open, and do it again after 50 miles. Good idea to get one of those turbo filters too. I have been surprised to find stuff there too.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia