Thread: 99 mini heat issue

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

99 mini heat issue

Quick question. My '99 Caravan only provides slightly warm heat regardless of engine temperature... UNLESS I put it on recirculate. Then I get nice and toasty inside. Of course, when on defrost, you can't have recirc active, so it's a pain in the arse to defrost the windshield on icy days.

I've covered all the basics... the waterpump is new this year, the t-stat is new, coolant level good, etc. If the heater core were plugged, I shouldn't get heat even on recirculate so I'm stumped.

Re: 99 mini heat issue

Its the doors on the heater fan box. Check the cable on the hot/cold slide bar( should have slight resistance,and "thunk" when closed). High boost also blows out the checkvalve at the supply line(about the size of a pill bottle. on the brake booster vac line) Check for vac at the control buttons.

Hybrid booster

I thought the 99ish caravans had electric motors to move the doors. With the key on and everything off, moving the selector from feet to dash to def I could hear this little electric motor sound. For sure on my 2000, I think I also did it on my 97.

Ron

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Its the doors on the heater fan box. Check the cable on the hot/cold slide bar( should have slight resistance,and "thunk" when closed). High boost also blows out the checkvalve at the supply line(about the size of a pill bottle. on the brake booster vac line) Check for vac at the control buttons.
    99 Minivan is turbocharged?

It could be the core is plugged but in recirc, your rewarming the inside are so it doesn't work so hard. I would confirm the heat doors are closing. Check the temp on the heater hoses, the inlet should be very hot, the outlet should be warm.
    i am just going thru this on a customers 95 Grand Prix, soaked the heater core with CLR, now has heat,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

I would confirm the heat doors are closing
    I suppose this is the best place to start. Van has split heat (driver/passenger) and both sides when turned to full heat are the same temp. But, no assumption is better than a direct observation.

soaked the heater core with CLR, now has heat
    Most likely the course of action I will take over the weekend.