Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: some progress on the blue Spirit R/T

Hybrid booster

Re: some progress on the blue Spirit R/T

woohoo my blue R/T should be running very soon. i ordered the parts needed from FWDP, an NTK O2 sensor and NGK plugs from sparkplugs.com. HUGE thanks to my brother Jerm for letting me use his good turbo (stock TIII) and TU line set. i am 90% sure i'm going to pull the head off just because i'm being anal i guess. i really want see those pistons and be absolutely sure the HG isn't bad. other than that i just need to cut out the cat because i'm sure it's plugged up due to all of the oil the turbo leaked out. the downpipe itself is covered in oil so i'm going to have to clean that up.

i can't wait to drive it! my Regal GS is soooo boring to drive. i like the GS alot, it's fairly quick for what it is but i really hate automatic transmissions (not to mention the car payments lol). i want to replace it with something smaller/more nimble. if i can sell it i'm going to get another 5-speed SOHC TD to replace it. i really want my old T2 '89 Lebaron GTS back

so anyway, i changed the oil the other day and Jerm and i fixed the fubar'd O2 sensor wiring. as soon as the FWDP order gets here we are going to finish it up then i just need to go get tags and add it to my insurance policy. we'll have to post some pics of the red white and blue Spirit R/Ts soon.

we're going to MN this Sunday to pick up Jerm's red Spirit R/T. wish we could stop by Jackson's house but due to weather and gas prices we probably can't i can't wait for summer to get here.

------------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Oh and now you want to replace the headgasket. And then you'll really want some nice PC valve covers, and maybe some poly motor mounts while you're at it. and shifter bushings, gotta have some decent shifter bushings. The snowball is in effect

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    The snowball is in effect
    Oh yeah, and once it starts,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

And then you'll really want some nice PC valve covers,
    Remember,I have wrinkle blue powdercoat........

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Remember,I have wrinkle blue powdercoat........
    And it looks awesome on your valve covers!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Last edited by iTurbo; 02-15-2008 at 03:51 PM.

You know you want 'em

None of your pics are working,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

those blue covers do look NICE but it's just that i'm dead set on getting this car repainted white eventually. more than likely i'll be going with red powdercoated intake, valve covers and valley cover. i just want it to look as stock as possible later on....well ok with the exception of some FMIC pipes

on a side note i'm really hoping my friend i sold my '89 Turbo-II Lebaron GTS to last year will make a deal with me on it. he's an L67 nut and owns a modded '00 Grand Prix GTP. i'm hoping he'll decide to buy my L67 Regal GS for my loan payoff and give me the GTS back as part of the deal. i guess he just blew the headgasket earlier tonight not to mention the A555 is grinding into 3rd and 4th. i really miss that car. would be fun to build up a stout 2.5 and convert it to A568 with OBX. maybe even buy my brother's extra Shelby Lancer gfx and install them. i'm an H-body nut what can i say even though the TIII bug has hit me i still love the SOHC!

---------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

Hybrid booster

we pulled the head off today and i'm glad i did. all the head bolts felt too loose; more like 60 ft/lbs not 90. they were also all completely covered in oil and it looks like coolant was seeping into cylinders #1 and #4. on the bright side, the pistons appear to aftermarket. my brother said they look alot more like his new TIII Venolia pistons than his stock TIII pistons. not sure of overbore yet but they have a deeper looking dish than stock pistons and are very very shiny like brand new.

found a few other problems as well, mostly little stuff like whoever installed the oil pan and waterpump used RTV everywhere and apparantly they lost alot of the stock fasteners because some were missing or replaced with hardware store variety.

one interesting thing was the waterpump deflector. it's a copy of the original but it's made out of stainless and it's about 1/8" thick. a very good copy of the original deflector too. i'll try to get a pic of it next to a stock deflector.

-------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

Hybrid booster

it's almost twice as thick as the stock piece but there was a washer of the same thickness to go along with it.
    ---------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboSedan View Post

it's almost twice as thick as the stock piece but there was a washer of the same thickness to go along with it.
    ---------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS
    Well, as long as the washer is the same thickness as the deflector, you should be fine. Would be cool if it had venolias in it. Nothing like free parts!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Yeah we may pull the oil pan and look at the bottom of the pistons to be sure what they are. They do look brand new; even the cylinder head deck is super shiny and looks like it was just resurfaced. The dish on the pistons are definately bigger than a stock TIII piston, but not as big as the dish on my 2.5L TIII Venolia pistons. I'm thinking the compression ratio must be lower than stock now. They DO have four valve reliefs on each piston though.

boostaholic

Post a pic of the tops of the pistons....

we pulled the head off today and i'm glad i did. all the head bolts felt too loose; more like 60 ft/lbs not 90. they were also all completely covered in oil and it looks like coolant was seeping into cylinders #1 and #4. on the bright side, the pistons appear to aftermarket. my brother said they look alot more like his new TIII Venolia pistons than his stock TIII pistons. not sure of overbore yet but they have a deeper looking dish than stock pistons and are very very shiny like brand new.

one interesting thing was the waterpump deflector. it's a copy of the original but it's made out of stainless and it's about 1/8" thick. a very good copy of the original deflector too. i'll try to get a pic of it next to a stock deflector.

-------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS
    Measure the bore, if its overbored, there not stock,

Nice job on the deflector, looks almost factory.

Hybrid booster

oh i didn't make the deflector. i'm not sure who did.

i can't wait to drive this and park my Buack. i'm just waiting for the HG and headbolts to get here then it's time to wrench.

------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

oh i didn't make the deflector. i'm not sure who did.
    I know, whom ever did it did a nice job.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Post a pic of the tops of the pistons....
    i'm going to post some pics tomarrow. #2 & #3 are black with some carbon but #1 & #4 are VERY shiny near the middle of the piston tops (presumably from the coolant leaking in and "steam cleaning" them?). i would measure the bore but i don't have anything to measure them with. anyway, the car should be running this week. Mopar headgasket, Mopar head bolts, new fuel injector o-rings, magnetic oil drain plug and 52mm throttle body gasket was ordered today and that's all i need now besides new cam seals and some coolant.

Jerm and i pulled the rocker shafts today then pulled the cams out. Jerm told me it was the nicest TIII head he has seen. the cams look PERFECT, i mean brand new. he thinks they might be regrinds but who knows. stock retainers. i did find one problem though; the #1 intake rocker shaft bolt hole had cracked across and someone already welded it up. i'll post a pic of that too but oh well it's fixed regardless. i cleaned the valley with Brakleen and even looking closely with bright light i see no signs of cracks even though it still has steel core plugs. the cam bores were also very smooth all of the rockers looked great, same with the lifters. it looks like the head was resurfaced recently.

so anyways, as soon as my order comes in from FWDP Jerm and i should have this blue R/T running within a day or two. i already got all of the misc parts cleaned at the car wash and cleaned the hell out of the intercooler so everything is ready to go back together. i can't wait. anyways, i'll post some pics tomarrow and hopefully a start-up vid soon.

-----------------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

Hybrid booster

so do these look like stock TIII pistons? i have't really tried cleaning them off yet. i remember looking at my brother's stock TIII pistons (which were clean) and they weren't shiny like these ones are (they were more like dullish grey) and the dish just looks a little deeper to me.

top of piston #4 -

top of piston #3 (#2 looks the same) -

top of piston #1 -

quite a bit of wrenching to do yet...

--------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '98 Buick Regal GS

Not stockers, they look like JE's.

Did someone put the knock sensor down around the oil filter area?

Yes, it has two knock sensors. Best we can tell is that the guy that put it together last gave up on reaching the stock knock sensor location so he put another one in the block that was more accessible.

And the head on this car is just beautiful. Nicest TIII head I have ever seen. We pulled the cams out and inspected it. The cams look new (regrinds?), all the rockers look excellent, and the cam bores are nice too. I don't think it's an orignal production casting, but we can't find "DUNN" anywhere on it. There is more casting flash and roughness in various locations on the outside than other TIII heads I have seen. The pistons have a deeper dish than stock TIII pistons for sure. Not as deep as the 2.5L TIII Venolias I bought recently though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast