Thread: Need some advice on cam/valve train selection for my setup!

Need some advice on cam/valve train selection for my setup!

I currently have the FM 475 cam but was unsure if I wanted to run it again. My current setup is this.
    782 Ported Head - +1mm Valves & heavy port job(Mark Shoaf's old head)
    40 over Weisco
    Complete ARP in everything
    T3/4 50 trim with stage 2 exhaust
    3 Inch TU SV
    TU Header
    FM 3 Inch Stainless Exhaust (no cat)
    +40's Stage 5 cal 3 bar
    Devils own inj.
    TU fuel rail with Adj FPR
    Spearco 1080
    Tial BOV
    255 fuel pump
    CSR Elec water pump
    Under drive pully
    I think thats it. It is going to mainly a show car, but I want a very fast show car I have been fighting with what cam/sprin/lifter set up to run and I am just not sure at this point. I welcome any input as to what may be best for the setup.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: Need some advice on cam/valve train selection for my setup!

Steve Menegon made a batch of 505 lift cams which would need an agressive spring. I don't know if he has anymore left, and if he's making anymore. There are the other vendors that make/made cams, but I havenm't heard of a true A/B comparison.

If you research enough, you'll find that alot of people go back to the tried and true setup of the '89 T-II cam. (reportedly same as the '88 T-II and even '88-92 T-I)

Steve Menegon tried many cams over the years... FM, S60, etc... they always got pulled out in favor of the '89 T-II.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

Re: Need some advice on cam/valve train selection for my setup!

you didn't mention the intake on your list. The +1 heads don't flow much over a stock valve, but they weigh less. If your running a mild ported 1 piece you have more exhaust flow than intake flow now. But with the IC, turbo and exhaust you can use more overlap to make power. I would get a F3 unless you have some real intake work done. You shouldn't need a super tiny cam with no lift, your exhaust is the key to a larger cam. I wouldn't run any of the big .500" lift cams without more head and a real intake. I am running the same thing on the exhaust I believe with the super 50 T04E wheel, which is different than a standard 50 trim wheel.