Thread: Is this normal?

Garrett booster

Is this normal?

the other day on my way home from work my car back fired and than died would'nt start up, got it back to work and up on a lift, the sprocket for the intermediate oil pump shaft had jumped a tooth, put all the sprockets in line and put the timing belt on, at tdc the rotor for the dizzy was on the #2 cyl instead of the #1 spot. moved the wires around so it would fire in the correct order, started back fired and died. Everything was still in allingment, but at tdc the rotor was pointing at cyl. 2, a guy I work with noticed alot of play in the dizzy pulled the dizzy out and noticed the play was'nt coming from it, checked the oil pump and there was quite a bit of play. So when I got a chance I pulled the oil pan and pulled out the oil pump to find that most of the teeth had either sheared or were worn excessively, than I pulled the intermediate oil pump shaft and found the teeth on it to be damaged as well. I was wondering if this is a common condition and after I replace the shaft and oil pump if this will cure my no start condition. Also if anybody has that shaft I'd be more than happy to buy it from you

Cliff notes: The gears on the oil pump and intermediate oil pump shaft sheared/stripped wondering if this is common

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Is this normal?

I posted to your other thread as well...

"When you get it out, be sure to check the bearings (in the block), that seems to be what causes them to let go, the worn out bearing allows the oil pump and IM shaft to not mesh properly and then "pop", no oil pressure. The biatch of it is that they aren't that easy to replace in-car. I will be trying this very thing later this coming week."

I was starting to think there was a rash of IM shaft/oil pumps going out! To my knowledge, there is no difference in any of the IM shafts, so you could get one from a TBI car or even a carb'd engine, though I would imagine that the carb'd version will have the fuel pump eccentric (not that it matters).

As always if anyone has more/better info, please chime in!

Mike

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

You got it right Mike, it's a pretty common failure on these engines. Typically replacing the shaft, oil pump and bearings is the best way to go.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

Yea, John1320 has the same thing going on in his car and we supect that the guy that put the engine together didn't replace the worn out inter. shaft bearings. i couldn't even imagine trying to do it in the car, he's pulling the motor out as we speak so we can redo it right. his lasted a couple of days after he transplanted the engine in the car from his daytona.

Garrett booster

Thanks for the info, I hope the bearings are fine, I have it up on a lift right now at work and i"m going to be pulling the tranny to put a new clutch in as well so I might go ahead and pull the engine too.

turbo addict

Happened to mine a couple weeks back. Replace at least the oil pump with a new unit and make sure the new/used int shaft is good. Bearings depends on how long it ran and how good you can clean it out.

Hybrid booster

you should really look at those bearings and if any question i would replace them, i'm sure you don't want to have to pull that engine again for the same reason. if your all the way in there i would probably just put some new ones in anyway, IMO.

turbo addict

Are you referring to me or skinnye? You don't need to take the engine out to replace the oil pump or int shaft.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Happened to mine a couple weeks back. Replace at least the oil pump with a new unit and make sure the new/used int shaft is good. Bearings depends on how long it ran and how good you can clean it out.
    I already bought a new oil pump and I'm getting a used shaft. The previous owner told me that he put new bearings in and the engine has maybe 3k on the rebuild but he had reused the oil pump. I checked today for any play and roughness while rotating the shaft and found none so I think it will be fine. transmission is on its way out though for a new clutch and flywheel

Hybrid booster

i was reffering to skinnye, i may be a bit on the over cautious side but if i had it happen to me i would replace the bearings anyway just because i was that far into the motor. it's not like you can really pastigauge the bearings and i would not want to have to do it in the near future if they had wear on them. it may be done in the car but if the trans is out i would pull the engine just to make it easier, then put them in together but thats just me. if i let one little thing go it always comes back on me, it's just my bad luck.