Thread: dumb t.belt question

Hybrid booster

dumb t.belt question

i just put the cam seal in the SC and the timing belt has kinda rode towards the inside of the cam sprocket since i put the engine together. i have always used the tool to set belt tension on all my cars but belt is riding towards inside on this one, Scamp rides perfect but that was a new tensioner. inside= too tight and outside= too loose? is that right or am i backwards? trying to finish this before i leave the shop.
    thanks!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: dumb t.belt question

I believe thats too tight. To tension it, go to the front of the belt, the longest free section, try to twist it, when you can just turn it 90 deg, the tension is perfect. I have never used a proper tool for this except my TIII,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

yes Simon, i know it's a stupid question, i feel like an idiot for asking it. i have had the tool for years so i use it, i still have the a/c bracket on this car and can't get to the front. i can turn the back about 90 deg. but it should not be riding the inside like it is, we don't want to break a cam do we? i have seen that happen before. what do you think Simon, loosen it some more and keep trying?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.2turboscotty View Post
    yes Simon, i know it's a stupid question, i feel like an idiot for asking it. i have had the tool for years so i use it, i still have the a/c bracket on this car and can't get to the front. i can turn the back about 90 deg. but it should not be riding the inside like it is, we don't want to break a cam do we? i have seen that happen before. what do you think Simon, loosen it some more and keep trying?
    I would say go a little looser. With a non-interference engine all you have to worry about is jumping a few teeth and redoing it.....I think. Well I guess if it's too loose it could shred the belt and leave you stranded till you put a new one on.
    No fun cars any more :(

Hybrid booster

so you agree inside riding too tight? i will try and loosen up a little bit, stupid tool is hard to hold while tightening the bolt, keeps wanting to move the tensioner and also fighting the p.s. belt too.

Mine had a/c and you can still get a good portion of the belt.

If you want to remove the belts without retensioning, just remove the crank pulley, then when you put it back on, put on the belts, then wiggle the crank pulley on and line up one bolt hole, start a bolt, then rotate until you can line another bolt hole up. Works everytime,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

alright Simon if you were closer to me you would probably kick me in the rear but i think i figured it out. i put on a used belt that was hanging on a nail in the gararge, it looked pretty good and i just said this will work for a while. yes, it was a Sunday and i didn't want to take the time to go to the parts store so i used it. it almost looks like whatever motor it came off it may have been overtightend and may be causing the problem. i'll let it ride untill the weekend and replace it with a NEW one and see how that works out. i have put many belts on these motors and none have done this, wouldn't have anything to do with using a T2 bottom end and the other stuff off a T1?

turbo addict

No, just as long as you're using the same tooth sprockets. It wouldnt work if you tried to use the wrong ones I bet though.

Hybrid booster

yea Mike, they are the same tooth sprockets but i did mix and match things that were laying around, just a thought. i guess i'll just try a new belt and see.
    thanks

What he said, lol!

Hybrid booster

sometimes i second guess myself and just need to hear things again for some one else, sorry. i always expect things to not be simple with these cars, most of the time. i think i'm putting too much thought into it and it could run this "little" off without a problem but i want to be sure EVERYTHING is o.k. this is my D.D. i have read about others having problems with undertightening and overtightening the belt i want to be sure it's right. i'll try the new belt and i'm sure it will be o.k. i drove it to work and i wanted it to be good for the ride home, it was rain/snowing here, last time i broke down the ex. saw me and picked me up and gave me a ride home. it was pouring then.
    thanks guys!