Thread: Stainless Steel Lines and AN Fittings?

Stainless Steel Lines and AN Fittings?

I was flipping through the Summit Racing catalog on my lunch break. I saw a whole section devoted to braided stainless steel lines and AN fittings. I know I've seen these used a lot on muscle cars at car shows, and I really like the look. I'd like to redo all the lines in my Duster in stainless steel and AN fittings, but I must admit I don't know much about them. I gots some questions:

1. Can you use stainless steel braided lines for things other than fuel (such as coolant, transmision fluid, and vacuum/boost)?
    2. What are the AN fittings for exactly? How do they connect to other components in your engine bay?
    3. How do you cut the braided line? Do you need a special tool?

I know some of you guys work on muscle cars and might know what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!

boostaholic

Re: Stainless Steel Lines and AN Fittings?

AN fitting is also known as JIC fittings, that is the style of the threads. We use them at work on all kings of things, such as heater hoses and some hydraulic hoses. They should work fine for using them in other locations, the hard part is finding the adaptors to convert it from what it was originally to JIC or (AN).

boostaholic

For cutting it I just wrapped it where I wanted to cut in electrical tape and used a cut off wheel on a die grinder to cut it. Here is a pic where you can see the fittings I had to get for each end of my fuel pump and Accufab AFPR

Then got a hard tube adaptor to make my fuel rail accept the AN fitting.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

1.) Stainless line can be used for a lot of things besides fuel. Coolant and oil lines are very popular uses for it.

2.) The AN fittings clamp sescure the ends of the line and provide an even clamping pressure on them. to make them fit into factory holes and on factory accesories will require various adapters. Be aware that this can get expensive pretty quick when you start putting it all together.

3.) I've never worked with it myself, but I seem to remember that you can cut it using a hacksaw, but that you need to wrap the line in masking tape first to keep it from fraying while you cut it.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

Don't know much about AN fittings but I did see a good way to cut them in car craft a few years back. They put a sharp edge on a masonary chisle and with one blow against a hard surface they cut the tubing. I think they wraped it elect tape first.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Be aware that this can get expensive pretty quick when you start putting it all together.
    most definitly. i just got done pricing the ends/lines/fittings and such for the 5 lines needed for my 16 valve conversion...... about 250$
    i didnt think it would be quite that much.

boostaholic

If you look in Summit Racing they have thier own brand of AN fitting that are about half the price of Russel or Earls fittings.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910 View Post
    AN fitting is also known as JIC fittings, that is the style of the threads. We use them at work on all kings of things, such as heater hoses and some hydraulic hoses. They should work fine for using them in other locations, the hard part is finding the adaptors to convert it from what it was originally to JIC or (AN).
    I know that you work with them, so honest question here. Don't JIC and AN fittings have different specs. I know that they are interchangeable, but I thought that AN was more strict of a specification if you will. I also thought that all AN fittigns were Al as opposed to JIC which are steel from what I have seen?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    ...and I really like the look....!
    Although AN fittings and hoses do look cool, they are more for making custom lines and performance applications. My old settup on the Z I had over $400 into it for fuel, oil and coolant lines. The new 2.4L setup I am scared to add it up but am sure it is over $800

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Yeah from what I know that sounds right, An is made from aluminum and JIC is made from steel. The thread patterns are the same and they are interchangeable, but I think the JIC fittings can handle more pressure. Other than that I dont think there is any difference.

Hmm, I might look into it, depending on the cost.

There was one type of hose in Summit racing that was braided nylon and rubber, so it was much less expensive than the other types. It was also a shiny black, which would look better in my engine bay.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Make sure whatever hose you buy is NHRA or SCCA approved if you ever plan to take the car to a track. For fueal at least, most rubber hose (if used longer than a foot like the stock fuel injection hose) is not certifed unless it is Stainless or Kevlar wrapped.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910 View Post
    Yeah from what I know that sounds right, An is made from aluminum and JIC is made from steel. The thread patterns are the same and they are interchangeable, but I think the JIC fittings can handle more pressure. Other than that I dont think there is any difference.
    yup! often hydrolic hose isn't lined inside too...but works dandy. much much cheaper to have a local transport truck place make them for you, pretty much identical to the vendors' brake kits. jic and rubber can take over 1600psi, i can't remember what jic+stainless is rated at, but its up there.

as for the chisel comment, it's called a cold chisel, and it is specifically designed to cut metal

boostaholic

All oil feed,coolant feed and coolant return have been braided stainless AN lines for years now.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but....

the sizes, if you are not familiar with them, are in 16ths, so a -8 is 8/16 or 1/2 inch. Likewise, a -3 is 3/16.

AN is aluminum and JIC is steel. AN is usually anodized as you see in red or blue although polished is available also.

Cutting with a hacksaw is practically impossible. Use a cut-off wheel or a cold chisel, be sure to tape where you want to cut and cut in the middle of the tape.

Putting the connectors on the hose can take some practice. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

If you use aluminum AN, be sure to get a set of wrenches designed to be used with them. Standard wrenches will work, but they will scuff up the anodized aluminum.

There are seemingly unlimited numbers of fittings, straight, various degrees, swivel, non-swivel.... plan your hose well so you only order once.

The Summit brand parts are by far the cheapest available but do not seem to be of any lower quality than the name brand stuff.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Here are three docs that explain it - bottom line it's OK to substitute/mix JIC with AN so long as it is not for aviation and the user knows/consents. The other critical points are: no mixing of 45* SAE with 37* AN/JIC, no mixing of straight wall AN/JIC with tapered NPT, and when adapting from NPT to AN/JIC - aluminum adapters can be more restrictive as their ID is less than that of steel adapters.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia