Thread: cast iron or cast steel

cast iron or cast steel

Are the turbo manifolds and the wastegate swingvalves cast iron or cast steel? Just curious as if they are cast steel then welding is fairly straightforward.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: cast iron or cast steel

cast iron
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Judging by how they can be welded, I would say they are cast steel.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Judging by how they can be welded, I would say they are cast steel.
    That is what I was wondering. It sounds like they weld up allright so I was leaning towards steel for the swingvalves. Not sure how to tell.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Aren't they a high nickel iron? Lots of em have been welded without issues. The problem, of course, is that as the steel of the weld shrinks it tears/separates some of the cast iron that is adjacent to the weld - creating a crack that you may not see. So, a series of stich welds with a nickel rod helps since the cracks are not continuous, instead they are like the stair step zig zag of the joints in a brick wall.

Best method I have heard of is - immediately after each stich, while it is still yellow and orange have an assistant use many many blows with a pick hammer to expand the metal adjacent to the bead and also to expand the bead itself - all to mechanically expand the metal while it is shrinking/cooling - sort of a race to expand it as it shrinks. Those multiple pick blows will minimize shrinkage cracking/separation of the parent casting from the weld. Pre-heating of the casting is assumed as that too reduces the amount of shrinkage.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

called peening...

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

as well as post heating, and nice, slow, controlled cooling.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Do the spark test. Hit it lightly with a grinder if throws lots of sparks it's steel, if not many it's cast iron.