Thread: High impedance injectors

Question High impedance injectors

I just got a new set of RC 750cc injectors for a good price but they are high impedance (12.4 ohms). They were originally for an SRT-4. Will these work on my '87 LM system? Has anyone tried them?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: High impedance injectors

Nope, you need low impedance injectors. There might be a way around it but I have no idea.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

well, in theory you should be able to put a resistor in parallel with the injector to drop the ohm load........ but I dont know if that will work or not.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    well, in theory you should be able to put a resistor in parallel with the injector to drop the ohm load........ but I dont know if that will work or not.
    In theory that would work for resistance, but we're talking impedance.

It would probably be more complicated that it's worth.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

yeah, but since your not varying voltage or frequency that kind of simplifies things down a lot.

also, Honda used to run both high impedance and low impedance injectors. The only difference? when running one set you had to plug in a resistor pack in order to keep the computer happy, but everything works fine that way. So it can be done with out to much fuss.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

The list of fault codes on Donovan's site shows a 26 code as "peak injector current not reached" but only for '88 and later (SMEC/SBEC). I'm running '87 logic module stuff. Hopefully it won't be bothered by the lower resistance.

I did learn that high impedance injectors have a .5 millisecond increase (2ms vs. 1.5ms) in response time across the board so I may have to add that to the fuel tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    yeah, but since your not varying voltage or frequency that kind of simplifies things down a lot.

also, Honda used to run both high impedance and low impedance injectors. The only difference? when running one set you had to plug in a resistor pack in order to keep the computer happy, but everything works fine that way. So it can be done with out to much fuss.
    You are varying the frequency. The duty cycle of the injector is constantly changing.

But if it's been done before with just resistors, why not try it?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

you might be able to get away with just popping them in. the driver just connects them to ground and then deals with the flyback that is produced by the coils discharging and charging. the honda guys that run dsm low impedance injectors use the resistor pack to raise the total resistance so that the ecu sees a lower current load.

you did mention that there is a difference in latency for the different injectors. you should be able to take care of this with the FuelBatteryOffset table. i believe that this is what this table was for.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Smile Re: High impedance injectors

From what I've learned, the response time is about 500 microseconds slower than the low impedance injectors. I can just add this to the fuel tables. I talked to a guy at RC Engineering and he said there is nothing to worry about, that I can go ahead and run these and there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm doing the opposite of what is described here.
    http://www.hondata.com/techinjectorwiring.html

If anything I might have to put a shunt resistor across each pair of injectors to avoid the 26 and 27 codes but only for that. The lower amp load of the high imp injectors wouldn't hurt the drivers.

Cool Re: High impedance injectors

Update! I got them installed and they run great. No resistors, no fault codes.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    Update! I got them installed and they run great. No resistors, no fault codes.
    Is Irwindale running tomorrow (Thursday the 20th) night ? A new personal best in the works maybe???

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

If there's any dry road to be seen between now and then so I can do some wideband tuning. Water burnouts don't give a very accurate datalog.