Thread: What's the reference for timing?

turbo addict

What's the reference for timing?

Guys, I've only really messed with the old stuff.

How do you time a 2.2L?

I got the timing hole cover off (about the size of quarter), and can see the little hole, which I am assuming is for setting the timing, but what is the reference point?

--------------------------

Wait, am I an idiot? Isn't there a spot on the tranny where you set engine timing?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: What's the reference for timing?

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post

Wait, am I an idiot? Isn't there a spot on the tranny where you set engine timing?
    Yep, top of the bell housing is where the timing marks are.

Make sure when your setting it that the coolant temp sensor is unplugged (the one on the thermostat housing).
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

I did have the coolant temp sensor disconnected, but the mark jumps around so much I can't tell if I have it set to 12* advanced or not.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

It shouldn't jump around too much. You may want to take a look inside the dist and make sure the metal vanes under the hall effect plate aren't loose. They are held on with melted plastic and I've seen them come loose before and cause the timing to jump around.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Cool, I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the advice.

I don't know where the initial was, but it seemed pretty far off. I retarded it a bit from where it was set to get it now to where I think it is at 12*. Amazing. Almost like driving a different car.

Before, it was like at 3000rpm someone would hit the nitrous. Now it is almost smooth as the boost increases (I also run an MBC).

turbo addict

The hall sensors look good to me. They seem to be held in well. And the little metal plate that spins around is held on tight. The cap and rotor have less than 8k miles.

The timing is jumping around 12 +/-4* or so.

turbo addict

is the timing belt tight enough? also take out the distributor and make sure there's no slop in the teeth on the bottom of the distributor and the top of the oil pump. Mushrooming them out with a hammer will tighten them up. Also while it's out make double sure there is no slop in that hall effect. Some JB weld will hold it back down.

turbo addict

Once again, thanks for those suggestions. I'll take a look when I get a moment.

The Hall plate looks great. The car is 21, but I don't think the Hall plate is.

I do have a theory though, when pulled the coolant plug off, I let if flop around. If it was hitting on the block, going from open circuit to ground, that could have been my problem (it was dark, I was in a hurry, blah blah blah).

Either way, I am thrilled. As best I can tell, someone had the timing seriously retarded. The transition through no boosst and as the boost ramps up is now very nice and smooth, whereas it used to be like someone flipped a switch at 3k rpm. It still pulls great at 3k and above, but at least now it does feel like someone rear-ended me and is still pushing.