Thread: Working on the Rampage finally...

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Working on the Rampage finally...

I moved my 83 Rampage from my storage building to my driveway last night and now I've got the bug to finally swap a turbo drivetrain into it and start driving it come spring. I've had this truck since 2001 and I drove it during the summer of 01, parked it that fall and haven't touched it since other than to move it out of the way 100 times.

I had planned on going nuts and doing a full resto on the truck, but I'm thinking that for the time being, I'll just get the mechanical bits taken care of and get it running so I can enjoy it a little instead of having a trailer queen.

So here's my plan of attack:
    Remove the perfect running 89 2.2 TII from the minivan, put a good 2.5 TI that I've got back into the van for the time being. Install the 89 TII into the Rampage and convert it to a manual trans. I've got at least one of every style transmission to choose from, so I guess I'll flip a coin to decide what it gets. The engine has a new clutch on it, so I'll probably stick with a small spline trans either way.

The 83 dash will come out of the truck and one from an 88 Horizon will go in. The engine harness from an 89 Daytona TII will be spliced together with the 88 Horizon TBI harness to make a factory looking electrical system. Will run an 89 TII computer initially, probably with +20's and the boost around 17-18psi, this truck should be a blast to drive with that power.

Of course there a few little things I'll need to do like swap fuel tanks and modify the K-frame, find a pair of axles from a TBI omni etc...

The great thing is I've got 90% of the parts I need for this project, so really it won't cost me anything but time. Hopefully I can get the motiviation to do this over the winter and be driving the truck again come spring.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Re: Working on the Rampage finally...

All I can say Dave is you are doing it right. Mine is a blast and the confused looks you get from people are hilarious.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Sounds like a plan Dave. Can't wait to see the progress.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

In that red it will look good on pumpers next to your Shadow

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    In that red it will look good on pumpers next to your Shadow
    I will probably throw the 15" pumpers that are currently on the neon on it this weekend when I swap the snows onto the neon. Of course I still have to swap the rear brakes to 5 lug . Fronts have been done for a long time.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

hey, what about the shadow?! Shouldn't you finish it before starting a new project
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    hey, what about the shadow?! Shouldn't you finish it before starting a new project
    That's not how I roll. Incomplete and half started projects are my trademark.

Actually the Shadow is coming along nicely and it will be sharing the garage with the Rampage this winter so I can work on both.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Sounds awesome Dave, can't wait to see it in person. In fact, maybe I can help you wrench on it...only it would have to be on a day other than Fri Sat or Sun.

I thought the GLHT was sharing the garage with the Shadow? Which I might add is looking very nice also!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    That's not how I roll. Incomplete and half started projects are my trademark.

Uuuh, excuse me.

I am the owner of that trademark! And . . . . I will be sending you a bill for its use.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Sweet, another turbo Rampage prowling the streets

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Sounds awesome Dave, can't wait to see it in person. In fact, maybe I can help you wrench on it...only it would have to be on a day other than Fri Sat or Sun.

I thought the GLHT was sharing the garage with the Shadow? Which I might add is looking very nice also!
    Hey Paul, of course weekends are the only free time I get, but maybe I'll take a day off sometime this winter. The garage is heated and your help is always welcome.

The GLHT is going north for the winter, putting it in the barn alongside the rest of my collection and my buddy's vette. It's hard to work in the garage when there are two cars with nice paint, too much risk of scratching something. Plus I want to be able to leave a car outside occasionally in case I need to work on the neon or anything else.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Mitsu booster

you are insane with all these projects. Although you remind me alot of myself. I think it would be cool to see all of them done some day.

turbo addict

post some pics when you start tearing into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysshelby View Post
    post some pics when you start tearing into it.
    Right now it's buried in snow sitting on the trailer in front of the garage. I need to re-arrange a few cars in the storage barn so I can get my GLH up there and free up space in the garage. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been to cooperative in the last few weeks, so I don't think there will be any progress until after the holidays.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541