Thread: Flushing of Tranny Fluid/Power Steering Fluid?

Flushing of Tranny Fluid/Power Steering Fluid?

How often, if at all, do you guys flush out these fluids and put new in? The Sundance I bought has 87k on it now, and I have the feeling that these may have only been changed once or twice since the previous owner was an elderly lady.

What's the best advice for flushing these out if you have done it before? I'd hate to just get under the car and undo the PS hose off the pump then run for my life so I don't get sprayed lol...

Thanks in advance.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Re: Flushing of Tranny Fluid/Power Steering Fluid?

PS - I've never done it.

Tranny - Since the tremendous luck I had flushing the old van's tranny, I try to flush the tranny fluid on any used car I buy (of course, to me, 80k miles isn't a USED car, LOL). I simply pull the lines off the cooler, might have to extend them a bit, stick them in a 5-gallon bucket, and start the car. I keep adding tranny fluid until the stuff coming out is nice and clean. Then reassemble the lines and top it off.

Hybrid booster

That'll work, cheaper than a shop too. Cost me over $200 to have my Stratus R/T done, but they replaced the fluid with BG synthetic fluid.

Hybrid booster

yea i did it for Robert(rare ram) and it fixed his shifting issues on the Stratus at the shop with the BG machine. as the newer cars go almost all the manufactures suggust it at different milages. it has helped in keeping many trans alive if done before 150k and not burnt fluid.
    my wifes 600 have VERY dark fluid when we bought it at 120k and knew it could be a problem, about a month or so it started to shift badly and i was very concerned but i did a BG flush and used synthetic fluid and it hasn't missed a beat since. i was going to do a band adjustment but the BG rep asked me try the flush first and it worked!
    as far as P.S. fluid goes it will sometimes even quiets a noisy pumps and getting the sediment out of the system seems to help with a lot of cars but mostly fords see the most benifit. i say go for it as long as the trans fluid doesn't smell burnt.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would do both, it definately won't hurt. Fords and GM's are really bad with power steering fluid getting back, they go black, ack.

I have a machine to flush the power steering, but you will make a mess. Remove the return hose at the ps pump and plug the resovoir nipple, then lengthen or aim the return line into a bucket. Put a funnel into the resovoir and have 2-3 gallons of power steering fluid ready to go. Have a buddy start it, keep adding fluid and have it turn left and right to remove all the old fluid. After he's gone left and right, shut it off, hook everything back up and refill, you might have to drive it a bit or let it sit for the air to work out.

As for the tranny, service it first, DO NOT FLUSH it until you've removed the pan and checked for chunks etc. Change the filter, adjust the bands, then flush it. I would recommend having it done by a lube or tranny shop you trust, its only around $100 with fluid to have it done otherwise do as suggested above. AGain, it can be very messy,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

yea listen to Simon, i forgot to mention that i had replaced the filter the day before and checked for debris in the pan. in my wife's 600 it looked really good except for the fluid color, no metal. sounds like you are doing some preventitive maint. i on the other hand had a problem which lucky the flush fixed.

Forgot to add, flushing is a ? type of service. If you service your trans once a year or when the fluid is still a nice colour, you should never really need to flush it.

Power steering, Dodges are really easy on the fluid so flush when the fluid starts to go dark or silvery, which could be years. I never flushed my van system and the fluid was a nice clear tan colour.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a friend at a local Chrysler service garage who I trust 110% with tranny work, so perhaps before winter I will have him do what Simon recommended in terms of pulling the pan, changing the filter, flushing, etc.

As far as the power steering, I'm not sure what color the fluid is since, of course, it doesn't leak and everything looks black inside the pump itself haha... Reason I askeda bout the PS is because in the mornings (pretty much when its colder and has sat for a number of hours) the steering seems tightened up when needing to turn. This could be solely due to the weather, but I feel it shouldn't matter right?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

oh, yes. Forgot to mention about dropping the tranny pan FIRST and a filter change.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Reason I askeda bout the PS is because in the mornings (pretty much when its colder and has sat for a number of hours) the steering seems tightened up when needing to turn. This could be solely due to the weather, but I feel it shouldn't matter right?
    It could be the dreaded morning sickness but I would probably try changing the fluid first,

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    It could be the dreaded morning sickness but I would probably try changing the fluid first,
    As long as it's not another rack n pinion!!!

Garrett booster

Good chance it is a rack. And I agree with Simon on this one, flush the PS exactly like he says. And to help get rid of that "morning sickness" I have had good luck using Lucas Power Steering Stabilizer addative stuff (its been a long time since I've needed to use it) - it can help with the stiff steering. It can't hurt anyway...

Good luck!

Hybrid booster

Mike i forgot about that Lucas stuff, i once had a Chevy that had a "notchy" rack that was almost impossible to drive and i put that stuff in the steering system and it was like magic in a can, made the steering like brand new. good stuff! i guess it kept working, i saw the car for over a year driving around my town, i bought it to resell after getting it's problems fixed.