Thread: MegaSquirt

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

MegaSquirt

I'm pretty new to the whole turbo dodge thing, but my father left me his 94 Lebaron convertible. I really wished it was a 5spd, so I went out and found a parts car (93 Shadow) with a good 543. The car also has a T1 turbo on it...

I'm a gear head through and through and I believe that the reason god made cars is so people like us can modify they.

So Now I'm planing a turbo 3.0 5spd project and I've always thought the idea of building my own EFI computer would be cool, so I'm thinking of adding that to the wish list.

Has anyone used one? I'm worried that the stock 3.0L computer won't give me the performance that I want. In the end though I'm only looking for about 250hp. I'm only shooting for low 14s so I can race the car without a roll bar. I figure an honest 250hp should get me there.

Given my goal, should I just use the stock computer, add some T1 injectors (27pph) and a better fuel pump and call it a day?

Thanks,
    David

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Re: MegaSquirt

well you came to the right place
    and welcome

1st things first
    you listed you found a stick shadow with a T1
    but your lebaron is 3.0 v6 auto I assume from your 3.0l turbo comment?

If the shadow is a 4cyl turbo then the trans is actually a 523 not the 543 which you would be correct in needing
    the 4 and 6 cyl bellhousing are different

If your car is a 4cyl. then scarf it up along with the shiter, console, cables,
    axles will be the same and rear trans mount (you'll need to weld 2 tabs on the k-frame) , or get the trans and use a neon shifter and a polybushing.com rear mount
    and in that case just put in the whole turbo motor and forget teh 3.0v6 turbo if you only want 250hp with is easy with the 4cyl.

I'm pretty sure Frank just started a 3.0 turbo section here on turbo-mopar you might want to check out

I have installed quite a few megasuirt systems on vw's
    I love them, for every reason I love these turbo dodges
    cheap, do it yourself, and lots of potential if your patient
    thought with your application there is a lot of ecm controlled factors
    that would not be easily addressed with the megasuirt system
    many of them could be done away with but being where you live
    unless you are going to drive it less then 5,000 miles a year
    and get a mileage waiver every year, you won't pass a dyno emissions test

with that being said
    welcome aboard
    feel free to ask questions
    and check out your local chapter
    dv-sdac

http://dvsdac.smfforfree3.com/
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DV_SDAC/join

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: MegaSquirt

Actually the shadow is a 3.0L Turbo with basically a T1 (I think it's a later Mitsu Eclipse turbo).

I bought the car for the 543 5spd to swap into my convertible; Also a 3.0L car.

I am now thinking about building a race car out of the Shadow so I'll probably hold off on the swap. I've got other things to do to the convertible anyway so it's not a big deal.

I'm not worried about emissions because it will be driven less then 5k a year. Eventually it will probably become a track only car. I've got Firebaron to thank for planting the seed and my cousin for watering it... Thanks guys... Like I really need more projects...

David