Thread: Puncture repair...

turbo addict

Puncture repair...

Hi folks,

Just wondering what the difference is really between how a shop repairs a tire and those tire repair kits you can get. For when you've got a nail in the tire or something like that, small hole. I see those kits with round rasps, awls, plugs and cement and they have stuff on like "FOR EMERGENCY REPAIR ONLY" are they just covering their arses and can you rely on a repair made like that? I'm thinking about the only thing a shop might do different is unmount the tire, plug it, and then put a patch on the back as well before remounting it.

Just wondering, 'coz I've got a few rims sitting round with not so awesome tires on, with small punctures, and for what's left on the tires, it hardly seems worth paying $20 a pop for puncture repairs, when I can get part-worns with 80% tread put on for $30. But on the other hand, I'm still saving for rubber to put on a set of pumpers and could use the month or two worth of wear left on some of these I've got sitting around on steelies... so wondering how "temporary" that plug method is.

thanks,

RW222

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Puncture repair...

The plug you put in from the outside can come out fairly easily, especially during hard useage when it is worse to have a blow out. It is better to pull the tire off and apply a patch from the inside. In fact the best is to use a patch-plug that goes on the inside like a patch but has a plug that fills the hole as well.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    In fact the best is to use a patch-plug that goes on the inside like a patch but has a plug that fills the hole as well.

+1

This is how a GOOD tire shop will repair a flat. With a plug/patch the tire is as good as new. However, an auto parts store plug from the outside is a satisfactory repair for as long as it holds. In most cases, it stays in pretty well. Just be careful with any repair if within 1/2" to 1" from the sidewall of the tire.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I use tire plugs all the time at work with no issues, even on motorbike tires and my racebike tires, speeds of up to 180 mph.

The key is getting a good kit. The kits with brown, stringy looking plugs-run away, they leak and those will come out. I use a local company's supplies called "Tech Can". Simple to use and they work. For larger holes they have T-plugs and patches. They also make a neat travel kit, I keep one on the bike,

The reason plugs aren't recommend is because there so easy to use, you don't have to demount the tire and look inside. On a new tire, IE guy just came in, you have no idea if he drove on it flat etc. I can't tell you how many I've demounted that look great on the outside but the inside is full of rubber due to running it low, or cracks, missing chunks etc.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I've personally never had a problem with the non-dismount plugs, aside from the odd one that leaks slowly. The leaky ones are usually caused by large punctures (bolts). I've got a parts store kit in my car and I've used it with great success on my sister's and g/f's cars.

The company that makes the tire plugs and patches at work is "tech tire repairs" My kit in my car is also made by TECH.

EDIT. treed by Simon

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    I've personally never had a problem with the non-dismount plugs, aside from the odd one that leaks slowly. The leaky ones are usually caused by large punctures (bolts). I've got a parts store kit in my car and I've used it with great success on my sister's and g/f's cars.

The company that makes the tire plugs and patches at work is "tech tire repairs" My kit in my car is also made by TECH.

EDIT. treed by Simon
    Probably the same company. Do the plugs have a black core with a thin gray jacket?

Whats treed mean?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Whats treed mean?
    Treed, like in reaction time, LOL

EDIT: There is no way in hell I would drive any vehicle at 180mph with a plugged tire!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

ours have a blue cover and are grey rubber surrounding black rubber. Probably the same stuff.

Treed, as in you got a better reaction time and left me at the "tree"

EDIT....DAMN!!!! TREED BY JT!!! arg

LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Treed, like in reaction time, LOL

EDIT: There is no way in hell I would drive any vehicle at 180mph with a plugged tire!
    Don't know what your missing, lol!

Shadow88, Treed twice, damn,

turbo addict

good thing I have all winter to practice my reaction time. I'll go practice in my neon right now.

turbo addict

Thanks guys, so basically good quality plugs last a while

Hybrid booster

I've used a kit I bought a WalMart years ago several times. Even bought refills for it.

It's one like this (although different manufacturer and without the lube):

I've never had a plug leak or come out. Most of the time I don't even take the wheel off the car.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Thanks guys, so basically good quality plugs last a while
    Only if installed correctly with the correct planets in alignment.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

My old work van had a half dozen in each tire. Dangers of working on construction sites. But I rarely drove over 65mph in the van either.

I keep a kit in each car. They work fine. I've run up 10K s of miles on them. At highway speed, over rough terrain. I even plugged my MC tire.
    Once the glue is opened it don't last long though.
    "SLIME" works also!

turbo addict

So I did it 10 days ago, got a "Slime" brand plug kit from Walmart, couldn't find anything else I liked the look of, and that was only one with the cement included. I didn't figure on those ones without cement staying in very long. Anyway, that tire did 70mph on the highway 2 hour there and back trip, and some running around since, put about 500 miles on it, and it seems to be holding up good.

I've used them on several occasions over the years, probably a dozen or so. Never had one leak, though I have heard that they can. Usually the tires in question are worn anyway so I don't really care. One in particular on the old rims for the CSX...I think it has like 5 plugs in it. For whatever reason one summer that tire kept picking up nails and screws. If the tire is newer, I'll have it patched from the inside.

I just used the black Walmart-type ones with rubber cement. Cleaning the hole properly beforehand is helpful. They work, but have it done right if you really care about the tire.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

The lube joint I worked at for about 5-6 years used the string type. Quick and easy as long as it wasn't near the sidewall. I can't actually remember any ever coming back with an issue. Usually you would know right away if it was going to leak as it would bubble up.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've used them a bunch of times and usually carry a kit with me. Of course the first flat I've had in 5 years and I didn't have it with me...

I prefer the inside patch plugs, but when you're on a dark road in the middle of nowhere I'll shoot a slug into the tire without thinking about it.

I've never had any problems and even repaired a sidewall well enough to get home (with three plugs). I know it's a no-no, but I was stuck. The tire was replaced the next day.

For non-performance tires that are somewhat used, I wouldn't think twice about slugging the tire vs. $20 patch.

David