Thread: Any tire guys here?

turbo addict

Any tire guys here?

Anyone ever dismounted/mounted tires on a rim with a pressure sensor? Ive done a lot of tires....but that was back in the day before tire pressure sensors (and dinosaurs roamed the earth). I have a Coats rim clamp machine in my classroom. Can you do the tire pressure sensors with this type of tire machine? Do I need special equipment or is it just technique? I figure I would ask rather than break one learning how to do it.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Any tire guys here?

From what I've been told and read, you do need a special machine, its designed to keep the tire and machine from digging into the sensor and destroying it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    From what I've been told and read, you do need a special machine, its designed to keep the tire and machine from digging into the sensor and destroying it.
    I thought I remember reading that somewhere too. I was just unsure.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I'm no tire man, but from what I recall, the sensor is attached to the rim by a large hose clamp (I'm sure there is a fancy name for it), but it seemed like it wouldn't be in the way, if you are using a machine that doesn't run a bar inside the tire. Just my .02

Mike

boostaholic

The dodge one fit tightly up against the inside of the rim,just then braking the bead dont do it near the sensor try to do it 90* from it or atleast thats what I do.I havent broke one yet.

turbo addict

I think it depends on the car it comes off. For example a 2002 300m with TPM is just a matter of technique avoiding crushing the sensor. Your rim / tire combo may be different.

turbo addict

I was asked to do some tires on a Subaru. So, it CAN be done with a regular rim clamp? I assume the sensor is where the valve stem is? So, if I break the bead 180* off from the sensor, and pay attention to where I hook the bead to sling the tire on and off, I should be able to do it? I used to sling tires in my sleep while working through college, so I know how to handle the machine.....so its just a matter of paying attention to where the sensor is?

good luck, its doable but can be difficult depending on the tire if they are low profiles and run flats make it by far the worst to remove with a sensor on the rim

Hybrid booster

I highly reccomend doing it 90* away from the valve stem. 90% of TPMS put the sensor either on the stem or 180 from it. Once you break the bead at 90* find the sensor and start dismounting the tire 90 from it.
    [COLOR="Red"][B][I]Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world![/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]2005 Dodge Neon - *15.88@85* - Daily Driver[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]1985 Dodge Shelby Charger - Project Car[/COLOR]

lol I did that in high school and college and after the Navy. Tires were 670-x15 bias ply (56 Ford) when I started, A70x13 radial (70 Pinto) when I quit. I guess that makes me from the Jurasic era?

Garrett booster

Alright here goes. First thing you need to do is identify the type of TPMS your dealing with. 50% of them are NOT in the wheels first off, and just use the ABS system to detect pressure loss, the other 50% are an in tire system. Of those that are in the rim 95% are THE VALVE STEM ASSEMBLY, first thing you need to do is make sure you can get the valve core out, many are oxidized in there due to no cap. Once you get the valve core out and start to break the bead, do it normal just stay away from the sensor area (valve core/stem). After that Just be sure to keep the bead away from the sensor, put the "tire bar" under the bead directly at the Valve Stem area to elimnate the possiblity of crushing it. Do the same for assembly. The only tires out there that have a "floating" sensor system are the early 90s Vettes those are the ones with the sensor inside the rim with the clamp that goes around the entire wheel. Some exotics may also have this old style, but I"m not familiar with much of the ultra high end stuff(Lambo/Fer/Bugatti/etc...)

If you have any specific questions or problems you can contact me directly if needed, I'm the head mechanic at a Goodyear, and we have all the tire machines to do up to 26" wheels.

Nick

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I've done a few sets on a Coats rim clamp. Hopefully the wheels are marked to show where the sensor itself is; the ones I installed had stickers that went on the wheels. And these were on 16" Porsche 911 wheels with R-rated tires, so they put up a bit of a fight. But yeah, just pay close attention to where the sensor is, and you should be fine. I reccomend breaking the back bead first, it will keep the tire from going back as far when you go to do the front bead. And take small bites rather than trying to pop the whole bead at once.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Alright here goes. First thing you need to do is identify the type of TPMS your dealing with. 50% of them are NOT in the wheels first off, and just use the ABS system to detect pressure loss, the other 50% are an in tire system. Of those that are in the rim 95% are THE VALVE STEM ASSEMBLY, first thing you need to do is make sure you can get the valve core out, many are oxidized in there due to no cap. Once you get the valve core out and start to break the bead, do it normal just stay away from the sensor area (valve core/stem). After that Just be sure to keep the bead away from the sensor, put the "tire bar" under the bead directly at the Valve Stem area to elimnate the possiblity of crushing it. Do the same for assembly. The only tires out there that have a "floating" sensor system are the early 90s Vettes those are the ones with the sensor inside the rim with the clamp that goes around the entire wheel. Some exotics may also have this old style, but I"m not familiar with much of the ultra high end stuff(Lambo/Fer/Bugatti/etc...)

If you have any specific questions or problems you can contact me directly if needed, I'm the head mechanic at a Goodyear, and we have all the tire machines to do up to 26" wheels.

Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I've done a few sets on a Coats rim clamp. Hopefully the wheels are marked to show where the sensor itself is; the ones I installed had stickers that went on the wheels. And these were on 16" Porsche 911 wheels with R-rated tires, so they put up a bit of a fight. But yeah, just pay close attention to where the sensor is, and you should be fine. I reccomend breaking the back bead first, it will keep the tire from going back as far when you go to do the front bead. And take small bites rather than trying to pop the whole bead at once.
    Thanks guys. Thats the info I am looking for. So, there is no "special" machine for doing the pressure sensors?

I think I will give it a shot. Im pretty good with the machine, so I feel pretty confident I can figure it out as I go. Thanks for the tips.