Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E85?

turbo addict

Re: E85?

Very cool. Well does one need to get a fuel cell or plastic tank, because I already plan running stainless lines etc. because they DONT rust. A must in the rust belt.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have searched and it looks like you need a gas tank that isn't terne coated. Terne is a lead-tin alloy coating that provides corrosion resistance but dissolves with prolonged exposure to ethanol. I haven't been able to determine if the stock or aftermarket gas tanks used in our FWD Mopars are terne coated or not. There are also aftermarket gas tanks that use a ni-terne coating which includes nickel but I don't know if that would be any better.

There is a lot of double talk about what materials are OK to use and what are not. Aluminum should be OK as long as it anodized. There are a lot of people that use aluminum with E85 with no long term trouble at all. Aluminum corrosion is apparently only a problem when the E85 is contaminated with water. Thankfully my rail/regulator/filter/fittings are all anodized, but my aluminum fuel lines are not. I would hate to have to install new fuel lines again.

I've been looking at using a Spirit FFV fuel tank. According to thedodgegarage.com the fuel tank for the FFV Spirit is different than a regular Spirit would get. But RockAuto.com lists the same part # for a '93 FFV and a '91 R/T. Are the FFV tanks really stainless steel or the same thing?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The FFV tanks are plastic I believe.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The FFV tanks are plastic I believe.
    Plastic and slightly larger than the steel ones if I recall correctly
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Plastic and slightly larger than the steel ones if I recall correctly
    That sounds right. I want to say that there was a post on here some time ago in which a guy mentioned upgrading so it won't rust and for the added fuel capacity. That would make for a pretty sweet range on the freeway.

Anybody know where to buy these? All the parts catalogs I find on the internet list the same metal tank for all A-bodies. Most junkyards like to puncture them as soon as the roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Anybody know where to buy these? All the parts catalogs I find on the internet list the same metal tank for all A-bodies. Most junkyards like to puncture them as soon as the roll in.
    I have seen one or two at parts galore in Detroit. I have also seen people with gas tanks in wheel barrows heading up to the checkout, so I don't think they puncture them there. Perhaps you could take a road trip.

turbo addict

Why not let us drill in Anwar? All those picturesqe photograph scenes are NOT taken there....Some studies show that the US has the largest untapped oil reserves in the world.

ALSO...y upstream 02 sensor died and the mechanics asked if I had used gasahol lately (10%)....I never do, but was on fumes in WI and filled up with it. They said they see it happen a lot on the higher mileage cars.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    ALSO...y upstream 02 sensor died and the mechanics asked if I had used gasahol lately (10%)....I never do, but was on fumes in WI and filled up with it. They said they see it happen a lot on the higher mileage cars.
    Pretty much all gas in IL is 10% ethanol, and I've run that in my truck since new, still have the original 02 sensor in it, and 160k miles on it.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Garrett booster

kinda off topic I have a 87 Dodge Ram D250 it has a factory plastic gas tank. wouldn't the gas lines rot/corrode on it if you do a change over to e85 I heard on carberated vehicle's they have trouble with corrosion with ethanol in gaskets and o-rings ect... on the carberator

turbo addict

My carb 84 Horizon (1 of 1 with HP Motor, no a/c, and radio delete) runs like it has gas in the tank when I am forced to use 10% crap.

turbo addict

A lot of the newer as in 91 and newer mopars use plastic tanks. I've seen them in barons, spirits etc. I knew I'd need a plastic tank. I was just wondering which tanks fit which cars. Guess I should visit dodgegarage.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

e85 would be fun to play around with forced induction who cares about gas mileage

Yeah, not to mention lower charge temps. I found a 3.0L FFV Spirit in a local junkyard. I need to go back and check if it's got a plastic tank.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

This is a quote from another forum I'm on, from Lucas English, a buddy of mine who has a stock turbo '04 Evo 8(there are mods of course, but the turbo is stock), that made 431AWHP on E90 fuel, and he went 11.2@122 in the 1/4 on E90. I made a post about the car, post #5 in this thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16948

He posted a pic of Paul Nelson's 9sec Evo fuel tank(stock, they are only just now going to a fuel cell, because of this), that runs VP Import, and it was corroded, because the VP ate the coating off of the inside of the tank. He used to run Ethanol in that car too, when it only made 712AWHP(now it makes just over 1000AWHP, going all out for 8s this year).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas English
    I have yet to ever See Ethanol hurt anything. My car has had it in there straight for almost a year now and the tank looks the same.
    This is not just talk, or hearsay, Lucas has been there, done that, and the ONLY mods he made to his stock Evo fuel system were, bigger injectors, and a 255hp pump. He has a 500 gal tank of E98 at his shop, and it's the only thing he runs in his Evo, unless he is going on a long road trip.

E85 is waaayyyyy safer than people tend to think it is. It seems as though people are associating it too much with Alcohol fuel, that stuff is uber corrosive.

Hope this helps.

Garrett booster

lets see (simple way)
    summit plastic fuel tank 16 gallon $169.95
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    summit stainless fuel lines 31.95
    255 pph walbro pump fwd performance on sale $99.99 ea
    http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...=&ProductID=76

use a couple of cold start injectors with the + 40's should be ok

found this on youtube
    Last edited by turbospirites; 05-14-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Hybrid booster

After doing some reading about E85, it seems the only thing that needs to be done to run it is to increase the fuel flow by about 30%. There are stations near me that are carrying E85.

On my intercooled log motor, I'm running Mopar '803' injectors that are rated at 30#. I have changed the fuel pump to a newer Carter unit that puts out 90 psi deadhead pressure. If I step up to 42# injectors (+20s) I will have a bit more than a 30% increase. Add an AFPR to the system to fine tune it, and it sounds like it would be ready to go.

I'd like to hear any yea/nay comments about this, as far as the physical running/doing it. Save the political comments for another thread.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbospirites View Post
    lets see (simple way)
    summit plastic fuel tank 16 gallon $169.95
    summit stainless fuel lines 31.95
    255 pph walbro pump fwd performance on sale $99.99 ea
    http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...=&ProductID=76

use a couple of cold start injectors with the + 40's should be ok

found this on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOs1...eature=related
    Read the post directly above yours.

No need for a plastic tank, or stainless lines.

Also see this thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24899

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Spraynlog View Post
    After doing some reading about E85, it seems the only thing that needs to be done to run it is to increase the fuel flow by about 30%. There are stations near me that are carrying E85.

On my intercooled log motor, I'm running Mopar '803' injectors that are rated at 30#. I have changed the fuel pump to a newer Carter unit that puts out 90 psi deadhead pressure. If I step up to 42# injectors (+20s) I will have a bit more than a 30% increase. Add an AFPR to the system to fine tune it, and it sounds like it would be ready to go.

I'd like to hear any yea/nay comments about this, as far as the physical running/doing it. Save the political comments for another thread.
    Hey Gary

I'm in the process of swapping my son's red Sundance over to E85 too!

I'll be using +40's, a 255 pump and an adjustible fuel pressure regulator to get it done. No calibration change.

Lucas(the guy Matt is refering to) said 30% more fuel to feed at your current rate or 40% more to take advantage of the fuel change and put more boost to it

The car ran the best et of 13.36 and the best mph of 100 on a blend of pump gas and racing fuel.....I'm looking forward to seeing some improvement soon!

Some of my buddies with really fast turbocharged cars have seen 5-7 mph gains in the 1/4 from just changing the fuel and dialing in the tuneup......at the same boost level! They are running E98 which requires a 50% increase in fueling according to Lucas.

None of these guys are changing out anything in the fuel system except the fuel....they already have really big injectors and fuel pumps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast