Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E85?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: E85?

Lucas has a 500 gal tank of E98 at his shop too.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by nBALLS View Post
    Lucas has a 500 gal tank of E98 at his shop too.
    I may need to relieve him of some real soon

I'm considering running my new minivan engine on "corn"

Here's something I found while doing some research

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gasketmaster View Post
    I may need to relieve him of some real soon

I'm considering running my new minivan engine on "corn"

Here's something I found while doing some research

LOL! He does sell it. Get a 55 Gal drum, drive out there, and buy some.

DO IT. E85 Turbo Mini FTW!

Brian(with the Galant VR4) had that as a signature on another forum for a while, LOL!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spraynlog View Post
    After doing some reading about E85, it seems the only thing that needs to be done to run it is to increase the fuel flow by about 30%. There are stations near me that are carrying E85.

On my intercooled log motor, I'm running Mopar '803' injectors that are rated at 30#. I have changed the fuel pump to a newer Carter unit that puts out 90 psi deadhead pressure. If I step up to 42# injectors (+20s) I will have a bit more than a 30% increase. Add an AFPR to the system to fine tune it, and it sounds like it would be ready to go.

I'd like to hear any yea/nay comments about this, as far as the physical running/doing it. Save the political comments for another thread.
    Just an FYI... dead-head pressure is not an indicator of fuel volume. Most efi fuel pumps will be able to reach 90psi dead-head pressure, and beyond. What you have to worry about is if the pump can maintain your desired fuel pressure at the engine's point of maximum fuel demand. Your pump may be able to make 90 psi with the engine at idle.. but can it maintain good fuel pressure and volume at 6000 rpm/20psi of boost? Also take into consideration that as pressure rises, the volume of fuel a pump can provide drops!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Better to definitely have a pump that is overkill then "kill" your motor.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

It would be better if that were more accurate. They still have to sell us the petroleum required to farm the corn, transport it, process it.... i think it takes about 3 gallons of petroleum to make 4 gallons of ethanol. Factor in that E85 is at least 25% less efficient than straight gasoline, and still contains 15% gasoline, and your dependence on foreign oil is the same or worse.

Not to mention that the price of corn is rising so fast it will more than offset any possible remaining savings.

BUT.. all hope is not lost. The ethanol production process will hopefully be more efficient, and other organic sources, either naturual, or genetically engineered may lead to ethanol being more viable.

The short term solution? Drill ANWAR.
    Last edited by contraption22; 05-15-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Agreed. There are quite a few projects on the horizon to convert other biomass into ethanol. The fact is that it takes more than politics and environmental advocacy to make these things happen. It takes financial pressure. Things start getting done when it's hitting everyone, including the rich people, in their pocket books. Personally I think things are going to have to get much worse before we see real strides in this area. Turning our food into fuel before anyone can eat it is not a long term solution. Brazil had the right idea in the 70s and it took them 30 years to get where they are now.

Anyway, what is E85 going for at the pumps lately? My cal is setup for 52pph, but if I were to swap in 72pph injectors....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    Anyway, what is E85 going for at the pumps lately? My cal is setup for 52pph, but if I were to swap in 72pph injectors....

$3.00-$3.20 per gallon

Garrett booster

$3.00-$3.20 per gallon
    allot better than $6 a gal for cam 2

No kidding. My problem is probably the stock lines and rail. I suspect I am getting close to the limit of what they can handle in terms of flow at full boost. Adding 30% is probably gonna push it over the top.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Just an FYI... dead-head pressure is not an indicator of fuel volume. Most efi fuel pumps will be able to reach 90psi dead-head pressure, and beyond. What you have to worry about is if the pump can maintain your desired fuel pressure at the engine's point of maximum fuel demand. Your pump may be able to make 90 psi with the engine at idle.. but can it maintain good fuel pressure and volume at 6000 rpm/20psi of boost? Also take into consideration that as pressure rises, the volume of fuel a pump can provide drops!
    Thanks for the input Mike! You make some good points to consider. I threw in the 90 psi figure to show the pump was in OK condition...I had a recent experience with a NAPA fuel pump that wouldn't go over 70 psi brand new! Anyway, I wouldn't likely go over 15-16 lbs of boost with it, and I would work up to that slowly. I did notice that FWD has a sale on Walbro 255 pumps for $99...hmmm.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

turbo addict

They are selling E85 here now for like 2.89 a gallon.. I know there are many other ways to make enthanol.. They could still use the corn for feed and seed(not food) which is what its main use here in the US. This whole food thing is a big misconception. Very little corn farmed is food corn. Also before I got off track, the trash or the stalks that the combine shoots out the back is actually like gold. Any cellulose material can be converted to ethanol. Like was said above pressure in politics is what it will take to take advantage of the "FREE" sources. Until then lets juts make corn go up... I think its their way of justifying all that farm subsidy.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

sweet

Hybrid booster

Just to bring this back to life, anyone new running e85 yet?

Filled up today, e85 $3.38 gal--93 oct $4.17 gal.

Greg

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by unluckyty View Post
    Just to bring this back to life, anyone new running e85 yet?

Filled up today, e85 $3.38 gal--93 oct $4.17 gal.

Greg
    Got our Sundance converted but I haven't had time to test it much yet......results to follow

turbo addict

This link is not very specific but has some good scientific data in it. You may have to skim it to get relevant info.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/T4470E/t4470e08.htm

Hybrid booster

Update on my e85 experience.
    My mpg has increased to 23 and 24 mpg last two fill ups. Driving the car the same, maybe a little bit more spirited.
    Then percentage of e85 should be at the summer blend, meaning the highest percentage of ethanol, should equal lowest mpg.
    The warmer weather helps also.

Greg

Hybrid booster

I'm trying my 2nd tank of 30% E85 blend. So far, no problems at all. With warmer weather I usually turn boost down a bit for the street/daily driver routine. I'm running about 14 lbs and the Dawes looks fine, showing yellow/green at WOT. I haven't been to the drags with it yet, but I'll post up when I do. Latest prices here in Portland E85 was $3.41. 92 Premium $4.55.

A friend from work that I go to the drags with is also trying the 30% blend in his '65 Ford PU; 428 CID with Edelbrock heads, cam & intake. His compression is around 10.5 to 1. He thought it was detonating at idle with 92 octane premium. He always mixed in some C16 before. It ran great with the 30% E85 blend. 12.95 at 105mph on street tires.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

turbo addict

Your E85 is expensive. I can get it for 3.00 dollars a gallon at he petro truck stop here off of I39. The 87 is still 4.12 or so at that ratio. Basically a dollar or so less for E85 which is slightly better than the 30% extra you are supposed to run. Personally with some tweaking and a something like an alky injection kit I'm sure you could run even better mpg.

I just read that ethanol conducts electricity, so what is the deal with in-tank pumps?
    Too bad that the closest pump is 30 miles away. Too bad, I hope they open up more closer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast