Thread: Long...issues with AIS & maybe computer??

Garrett booster

Long...issues with AIS & maybe computer??

Sorry long……
    1990 Dodge Daytona VNT \ TII
    Here is what is going on:

I have two Cal chips (TU & Shel). When the Shel chip arrived I put it in but had a crank\no start situation, put the TU chip back in & nothing (found out it was in backwards!) when I turned it around car started but I had a really high idle (2500 rpm) that would not come down. Pulled the TU chip (thought I messed it up by installing backwards) put the Shel chip back in and started ok but still had the high idle.

I tried the AIS reset method to no avail, and thought the AIS might be stuck as I was unsure of the age of it I just replaced it and cleaned up the TB good. After getting the TB back together here is what I have now:

Very hard to start barely idles when I can get it to start, I tried the resetting of the AIS procedure and I get the same low idle, tried disconnecting neg cable alone and no change.

Here is where I am at a loss:

I disconnected\re-connected BOTH the Pos & Neg cables and it started fine shoots up to 2000 rpm and then settles down after a bit to about 1300 rpm, while this is still too high (I let it idle for a while to see if it comes down further) at least it tells me the AIS is working?

The problem: Turn off – restart and I have the same low idle and stalling (like the AIS never activates) , disconnect\reconnect both pos & neg cables again and starts fine to 2000 rpm and settles back down to about 1300rpm.

So I can confirm the AIS activates ONLY once and ONLY if the pos & neg battery cable are disconnected and re-connected.

Only thing I can think of is that I messed something up inside the computer itself (not just the chip) by putting the first chip in backwards??

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Long...issues with AIS & maybe computer??

Whenever I put a new chip in my shadow it will have a high idle for probably 40mi or so of driving. I think it is just the computer getting used to the new cal.

ETA: there was someone on here fairly recently that tried to fire up a cal with the chip backwards and it did fry the chip. It was and SMEC or SBEC.

Garrett booster

I think that was my post, where I thought I did fry the chip.

I understand the idle needs to be re-learned but why as soon as I turn it off and re-start it acts like there is no AIS control (the low idle & stalling) it does this no matter how many times I try to re-start after that.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

As far as I recall this you have to give the SMEC some time for the re-learning process as in driving around some miles. Now, anytime you swap chips I understand that you have to go through this process until it is stable.
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

Don't think I can drive the car around with 2000rpm idle? And the other alternative I cannot get it to idle at all.

In my shadow it is a pain when I swap the chip and the computer has to re-learn the idle, but you can drive around with a higher idle. Put 40-50 miles on it before you throw your hands up and see if that does it.

Garrett booster

Tried again this morning and it was idling ok other than being kind of high (about 1500 rpm) but it seemed like the AIS was working ok it started up to 2000 rpm and then settled down. The weird part is I let it warm up some and it was idling at the 1300-1500 rpm range fine until a certain point (when it went into open loop??) it just dropped down in idle severely and stalled. When I restarted it it shot up to 4000rpm!! Started it again and it went into the low idle and stalling situation again.

I pulled the codes and got a "52" which is a "O2 indicates a rich condition", so I think I got bigger issues than just the AIS.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

For example a vacum leak! Check the Vacuum line from the break booster which goes underneath your battery tray. After all you did work around there changing chips.
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

I am having roughly the same idle issue. I also just put in a new computer. It is an 89 2.5 TI auto comp from a baron and it went into my 88 TI manual Shadow. Idle will spike to 3k when its cold and taken out of gear, idles fine in sittin condition and after it warms up it only spikes between 1500 and 2000 when taken out of gear. Is this the comp relearning or is it because it is an auto comp?

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    I am having roughly the same idle issue. I also just put in a new computer. It is an 89 2.5 TI auto comp from a baron and it went into my 88 TI manual Shadow. Idle will spike to 3k when its cold and taken out of gear, idles fine in sittin condition and after it warms up it only spikes between 1500 and 2000 when taken out of gear. Is this the comp relearning or is it because it is an auto comp?
    From what I have read some people have issues with the auto computer and some don't. I would drive it around for a fews days, and time will tell. Worst case scenario you have a chip burnt for the manual cal.

turbo addict

Well, if it came to that I would just try to find a stock manual comp to put in or wait for my reprogged S5 from fwd.