Page 8 of 170 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

boostaholic

Re: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A555 - It's ALIVE!!!

very cool JT...very cool.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Thanks, I'm glad it started such a good tuning discussion too

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    But, the combustion event takes the same amount of time to complete. At top revs( 8-9k?), even at 100% ve, you need to start the burn earlier to get peak combustion pressure at the same point in the the crank rotation than you would at 4k. You can't make the mixture burn any faster at the same octane and AF ratio. Make sense?

SRT? You've got me there. Maybe because of the ridiculously undersized turbo on there?

I see where you're coming from with that in relation to RPM. I know where Paul placed most people's timing curves and how they typical 8V car reacted to them, and also comparitevly (spelling?) how my car acted with each degree in comparison.

With the right combination of parts and cyl. head, the 8V cars act very similar to a 16V setup as far as power per psi, timing, etc.

I was seriously throwing that SRT4 stuff out there as a question really. I don't know why they have so much timing in them stock. The turbo was also the only thing that I could come up with as being deviant from other typical cars. Man they're small! You should see one off of a car if you haven't... crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    I see where you're coming from with that in relation to RPM. I know where Paul placed most people's timing curves and how they typical 8V car reacted to them, and also comparitevly (spelling?) how my car acted with each degree in comparison.

With the right combination of parts and cyl. head, the 8V cars act very similar to a 16V setup as far as power per psi, timing, etc.

I was seriously throwing that SRT4 stuff out there as a question really. I don't know why they have so much timing in them stock. The turbo was also the only thing that I could come up with as being deviant from other typical cars. Man they're small! You should see one off of a car if you haven't... crazy!

I had an SRT-4 for a while and you're right, that damn turbo was tiny! I couldn't believe it when I was looking at the car, but it sure did scoot along pretty well. Mine went 13.40 @ 100.7 bone stock, right down to the paper air filter on an easy (don't break anything!!!) 1.95ish slick launch.

turbo addict

Now to throw a wrench into things, why did the SRT boys decide to use so much advance with the SRT4?
    I believe the design of the stock SRT4 piston is some of the reason from what I've read. I'm not sure the exact science of it but that is a non standard piston design, it also sits low in the cyl at TDC

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    I believe the design of the stock SRT4 piston is some of the reason from what I've read. I'm not sure the exact science of it but that is a non standard piston design, it also sits low in the cyl at TDC
    Yeah, have you seen them out of the engine? Interesting for sure. We had my roomates out of his car, since it randomly fragged the crank trigger and destroyed just about everything in the bottom end. 'Tis a shame.

The new Honda K series engine has a strange piston design as well. Perhaps it's a new move in the automotive world. I couldn't understand why they put a wedgish dome on the piston, but with them so low in the hole I guess I understand it. Weird for sure though. There has to be a reason.

turbo addict

From the Hot Rod article
    http://hotrod.com/techarticles/engin.../pictures.html

"CFD analysis and dyno testing showed that the ski-jump-shaped dome on the piston was desirable for performance, so compression ratio was reduced to 8.1:1 by decreasing the piston compression height to lower piston position in the cylinder"

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Yeah, have you seen them out of the engine? Interesting for sure. We had my roomates out of his car, since it randomly fragged the crank trigger and destroyed just about everything in the bottom end. 'Tis a shame.

The new Honda K series engine has a strange piston design as well. Perhaps it's a new move in the automotive world. I couldn't understand why they put a wedgish dome on the piston, but with them so low in the hole I guess I understand it. Weird for sure though. There has to be a reason.
    Supposedly, the 2.4 Turbo pistons were designed that way to aid off-boost drivability.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Timing table for '05 SRT-4:

Timing table for Stage 1 PT Cruiser automatic:

Timing table for Stage 2 SRT-4:

Hybrid booster

That car is sweeeeet. Those drag radial wheels look the best on it. I love the outside gauges too, you never see that any more... what are they for?

Thanks! Hood gauges are fuel pressure and oil pressure, two things I'd rather not plumb into the car, and I prefer mechanical gauges over electric ones

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

BadAss SRT-Z Update!!!

It runs... and now drives. I drove it around the block... not once, but twice, and clicked off the first mile on the odometer since Topeka in '06. Time to try to tidy the mess up a bit and get it presentable for SDAC!

That is all.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Re: BadAss SRT-Z Update!!!

Sweet! If it went around the block and nothing fell off of it, I'd say it's ready for racing!

Whats the general rule for breaking in an aluminum rod motor or new ACT clutch? 1 mile ok?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Whats the general rule for breaking in an aluminum rod motor or new ACT clutch? 1 mile ok?
    I think all you really have to do is back it out of your driveway to fully brake it in. Otherwise you have to roll it off the trailer twice.

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

Nice work, JT! Congrats! I think the correct breaking method for both is a staging burnout on a water "puddle"...

I can hardly wait to see it back from the "ashes" this weekend!

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by fleckster View Post
    Nice work, JT! Congrats! I think the correct breaking method for both is a staging burnout on a water "puddle"...

I can hardly wait to see it back from the "ashes" this weekend!
    Hopefully the "puddle" won't be provided by the car!!

I can't believe you haven't had that beast at the Grove yet for some shakedowns!! In private at your proving grounds?? Mebby
    (I finally found a flowbench that's accessible.. How well do you know the guys at Bosch in Broadview?)

Third year in a row and no SDAC.. I'll make up for it at Belvedere!

Thanks guys, its only a year late too! And no more puddles, finally!

Sorry you can't make it Sean, we'll definitely be partying in Belvidere

Here is a spy photo from the BadAssPerformance proving grounds last Sunday Too bad I didn't get a chance for any tuning...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4632x.jpg 
Views:	2219 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	9055  

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

Damn that truck looks purdy pullin that thing around!
    I'll run a quick plan for Belvedere through the list(provided we can take over the same hotel..).. Y'all ain't getting rid of me that easy I'll do an SDAC sooner or later. Maybe in a nice 88 Daytona or Dave's Omni

Congrats JT and have fun...man that truck looks sharp with those rims, nice stance!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]