Page 69 of 170 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 3392

Thread: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: BadAss SRT-Z Update!!!

i think they were the brass... the trans hasnt been in the car that long.

it does look like one is wore more than the other. maybe the shift fork is bent causing misalignment.

you need a case that has "windows" in it so you can see it all assembled and take some feeler gauges and measure if its engaging evenly. then you can either get another fork or monkey around with the pads to compensate.

making a jig may be a better idea though. a tight fit rod that the fork rides on with a perpendicular surface attached to it. slide the fork over the rod and measure straightness.

Brian

Hybrid booster

i was thinking the same thing, it looks like the one pad is worn more then the other,leading me to think a fork or something is bent or moving causing that wear.

If the fork is bent, then flipping the pads over would have made it worse for sure. Uneven pressure on the slider is what makes it grind so much like that.

turbo addict

Yeah..I have to agree..bent or twisted shift fork! Maybe time for some adjustible shifter stops ot prevent this? I've been thinking about those for a LONG time, just never got around to drawing anything up....

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    3rd felt good, although I granny shifted it, still felt good. Not sure what happened to 2nd... feels like crap, even driving around the pits... guess its gotta come apart again.
    Made a BIG difference on my trans just dicking around with the shifter cable adjustments. 1/8" makes a go/no-go condition sometimes. But this is on a 555. Not sure how much difference it'll make on a 568.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post
    Not "double Clutchin" like ya should?

Good Numbers JT! I'd be happy it went back together and functioned!
    +1 awsome times for missing 2nd gear

and yeah the double clutchin is a great way to bang it into them tough gears.......altho I dont know how a trans would like a double clutch on the 1-2 shift, it used to work great when I had my 3L and toasted 3rd gear. she wouldnt go in for shiiiiit then i started double clutchin and it was like night and day

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    So were those the soft brass or the bronze ones you just had made?
    Brass that was in there from the start.. only made bronze for 3-4 ... I flipped the 1st side over to the 2nd side as it had no wear...

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i think they were the brass... the trans hasnt been in the car that long.

it does look like one is wore more than the other. maybe the shift fork is bent causing misalignment.

you need a case that has "windows" in it so you can see it all assembled and take some feeler gauges and measure if its engaging evenly. then you can either get another fork or monkey around with the pads to compensate.

making a jig may be a better idea though. a tight fit rod that the fork rides on with a perpendicular surface attached to it. slide the fork over the rod and measure straightness.

Brian
    I like the case with windows idea... wouldnt surprize me if it was bent, shoulda never touched the pads as it used to shift OK

Quote Originally Posted by onerippinturbo2 View Post
    i was thinking the same thing, it looks like the one pad is worn more then the other,leading me to think a fork or something is bent or moving causing that wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    If the fork is bent, then flipping the pads over would have made it worse for sure. Uneven pressure on the slider is what makes it grind so much like that.
    Hmmm... I'm trying to picture how the Zhhhiiing noise is made from a bent fork as it goes into gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Yeah..I have to agree..bent or twisted shift fork! Maybe time for some adjustible shifter stops ot prevent this? I've been thinking about those for a LONG time, just never got around to drawing anything up....
    I have a MadDog STS with rod brake I could put back in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Made a BIG difference on my trans just dicking around with the shifter cable adjustments. 1/8" makes a go/no-go condition sometimes. But this is on a 555. Not sure how much difference it'll make on a 568.
    Hmm... very interesting. I might have to do a few laps in the neighborhood and play with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    +1 awsome times for missing 2nd gear

and yeah the double clutchin is a great way to bang it into them tough gears.......altho I dont know how a trans would like a double clutch on the 1-2 shift, it used to work great when I had my 3L and toasted 3rd gear. she wouldnt go in for shiiiiit then i started double clutchin and it was like night and day
    Thanks!

yeah, no friggin time ont he 1-2 to do anything... I'm really tempted to make a crash box outta this thing

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hmmm... I'm trying to picture how the Zhhhiiing noise is made from a bent fork as it goes into gear.
    If the slider is pushed unevenly by the fork, the teeth on the stop ring will get past those bumps in the grooves of the slider. The stop ring teeth are supposed to get "stuck" on those bumps from the torque caused by the friction between the stop ring and the cone on the gear. That's what prevents the slider from going in all the way. Once the speed is matched (gears are synchronized), the torque is gone and the stop ring teeth can slide up those bumps and let the slider the rest of the way through to engage the dogs on the gear.

Well, the Zhhiing are the gear dogs being hammered on the slider. If the pressure is really uneven, maybe it sounds different?

boostaholic

Built auto, get a 10.2 on your 1st pass with it.

LOL... Jaren said something similar at Grove... I think my response was something like "If I put an auto in it I'll need to take a pillow with so I can take a nap on the run"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Just leave the clutch pedal and shifter in, then you can pretend like you're shifting to keep yourself awake while you make fast consistent passes.

Until 4th gear breaks?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

boostaholic

Until 4th gear breaks?
    Unpossible!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

LOL... Jaren said something similar at Grove... I think my response was something like "If I put an auto in it I'll need to take a pillow with so I can take a nap on the run"
    You'll have plenty of time to nap with all the extra time you would otherwise be spending repairing and re-engineering your 5-speed.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    You'll have plenty of time to nap with all the extra time you would otherwise be spending repairing and re-engineering your 5-speed.
    Listen to the man JT....I'm thinking about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Repairing and re-engineering keeps my interest and keeps me awake... banging gears keeps me awake...

Driving an automatic? *yawn* kinda boring... probably still fall asleep if I had some activity to do like if I put nitrous on it ... maybe I could stay awake if I brought a puzzle to assemble?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Repairing and re-engineering keeps my interest and keeps me awake... banging gears keeps me awake...

Driving an automatic? *yawn* kinda boring... probably still fall asleep if I had some activity to do like if I put nitrous on it ... maybe I could stay awake if I brought a puzzle to assemble?
    couldn't agree more! Sides, who's gonna figure out how far these trannies can go if everyone "gives up" and goes auto!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

LOL, I know you dig it

BTW, not that I want to make a big investment, but does anyone make a straight cut dog box for SRT-4 or Supertouring Stratus or anything with a mopar 2.4L?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

LOL, I know you dig it

BTW, not that I want to make a big investment, but does anyone make a straight cut dog box for SRT-4 or Supertouring Stratus or anything with a mopar 2.4L?
    Get a hold of some one doing srt ralley cars and see were they get there trans done! I now some one who builds ralley cars Pro . and the gear boxs for the subbies cost 35 k each say ouch!!!!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

LOL, I know you dig it

I think there is a vendor that sells dogbox internals for the T850 trans.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=