Page 5 of 170 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A555 - It's ALIVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Me = big demand
    How many?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by cj011 View Post
    ECU - FAST SFI8LO
    eDist - FAST
    Crank trigger - MSD SBC 7"
    Cam trigger - MSD
    Box - MSD DIS2 Plus

Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the cam trigger? Or is there already a spot on the neon head for that?

Why did you use the eDist when you already have cam and crank trigger combined with the MSD box
    The eDist is needed to read the cam sensor and send the coil signals out. It can be used w/o the DIS2, not the other way around.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Do you have any pictures of the back of the engine with the tranny and starter connected?

I am interested to see how you ran your oil/coolant lines to the turbo.

On my SRT4 block it looks like I will have to plug the stock oil pressure sender hole and the turbo feed hole. It is on the back left side of the block under where the starter would have to be on the SRT4 block. This means that I will have to tee the water feed line to the turbo or remove the oil preheater/cooler. I think I can just use a TD oil distribution block for the turbo oil feed and senders.

Why would one go through all the bother of the eDist and cam trigger when he already has the crank trigger?

If I did not have the fast setup, I could use the DIS box, eDist, and both triggers for a stand alone ignition setup?

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the back of the engine with the tranny and starter connected?

I am interested to see how you ran your oil/coolant lines to the turbo.

On my SRT4 block it looks like I will have to plug the stock oil pressure sender hole and the turbo feed hole. It is on the back left side of the block under where the starter would have to be on the SRT4 block. This means that I will have to tee the water feed line to the turbo or remove the oil preheater/cooler. I think I can just use a TD oil distribution block for the turbo oil feed and senders.
    Starter fits in just like a 2.2L/2.5L block.

Oil supply to the turbo is "R" and that goes to a remote oil filter where there are oil pressure and oil temp taps and also oil line to the turbo. Oil return goes to a fitting on the pan.

Coolant supply to the turbo is "S" coolant return is to the fitting on the bottom of the t-stat housing

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Quote Originally Posted by cj011 View Post
    Why would one go through all the bother of the eDist and cam trigger when he already has the crank trigger?

If I did not have the fast setup, I could use the DIS box, eDist, and both triggers for a stand alone ignition setup?
    The eDist and cam trigger are needed to run the WS coil pack. The FAST ECU (SFI-8LO) only has a single coil output so without the eDist/coil setup, a conventional distributor would need to be used.

The eDist box gets the cam signal directly to it, but gets the "points" signal from the FAST ECU. The DIS2 box is spliced in between the eDist and the coil.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Okay I had you until the WS coil pack. What on gods earth is that one? What brand do you have so I can do some digging around for info.

If I understand you correctly, you needed the addtional stuff because the FAST you are using only has one output. When you say output are you referring to spark plug wires? What is it outputting to or trying to control?

WS = Waste Spark ... that is stock 2.4L coil pack which has 2 coils that support 4 cylinders. Coil one is for cylinders 1 & 4 and coil two is for 2 & 3. When coil one fires for clinder 1, the spark for coil 4 is wasted, thus the name "Waste Spark"

I am using the OEM Mopar one, buy may uprade to a MSD one later.

When I say "output" I am saying the signal to initiate spark. The FAST box by itself can send this "output" signal to an ignition box (like a MSD 7-AL2) and then the box can send it to a regular coil which goes to a conventional distributor. The eDist is needed when no distributor is available so that the "output" signal can be sent to the WS coil instead of the conventional coil/distributor setup.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

Awsome! Took Your Time ,and Its A Hopefully Reliable,terror,

boostaholic

Ok so since I never really saw your project until it was done... here's my questions.

Why the NA valve cover over the turbo valve cover?

Why the square intake manifold with the TB on the opposite side (which caused you to create a custom waterneck as well?)

It looks like there would have been plenty of room for a stock, or only slightly modified (like mine is to fit with my automatic transmission) SRT-4 intake manifold.

Turbo manifold looks custom made... looks like you had plenty of room for any number of aftermarket SRT-4 turbo manifolds, why not just use one of those? Also why mount the turbo with the outlet facing up? Was there something in the way of mounting it facing down?

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

hehehe I think alot of those can be answered with either

a) because this is what I had

or

b) because this way was cheaper
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    Ok so since I never really saw your project until it was done... here's my questions.

Why the square intake manifold with the TB on the opposite side (which caused you to create a custom waterneck as well?)

It looks like there would have been plenty of room for a stock, or only slightly modified (like mine is to fit with my automatic transmission) SRT-4 intake manifold.

Turbo manifold looks custom made... looks like you had plenty of room for any number of aftermarket SRT-4 turbo manifolds, why not just use one of those? Also why mount the turbo with the outlet facing up? Was there something in the way of mounting it facing down?
    If I had to speculate..

a) because it has 2 existing pcv ports in the valve cover he could use

b) He wanted to custom fab it because he wanted to "try something new," move a hell of a lot more air, and he wanted to control the "mods" and know the exact specs he controlled...

if I had to guess...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Since we're guessing here, I would have to say that the Valve cover was the one that came on the engine and JT didn't go after a turbo one because

A) it costs money
    b) it doesn't make the car any faster

I think that logic was applied to the entire build. Build it to go fast, make it look clean, but don't waste money on bling-bling for a car that is meant to be raced.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Haven't commented on this thread yet but the car and engine look killer. I love that the hybrids and swaps are bringing out some of the true craftsmen in the TD world. I cringe at some of the hacking that goes on sometimes.

Since everyone else is playing...

It is an NA head. An SRT4 valve cover has 2 extra holes which would need to be filled which is more work for no gain. I kept mine b/c I would prefer people know I didn't just throw in an SRT4 engine but that I built up an NA engine. Makes me feel like I did more.

I think square was just the shape of choice and is for sure the cheapest material wise. Putting the TB on the passenger side siplifies the intercooler piping by not having to bring it all the way back over to the drivers side. It also keeps the piping as short as possible decreasing the chance for any heat soak after the intercooler and helping keep lag down.

Being an NA head it has oval ports compared to the square ports in an SRT4. To use an SRT4 header you would have to reshape the NA ports which is alot of time for probably not alot of gain. Not to metion to get a decent header you pay a mint and for the price difference it is worth it to make one over spending 6-700 bucks on a piece of crap. I think he is also alot like me in taking pride saying he built everything.

DJ

boostaholic

I don't see how all that custom fabrication saved time or money though. The only reason I could see for doing that is if it's the only way to make things work, but that just doesn't look like the case to me.

I forget that most of you guys have a ton of spare parts laying around to be used. I'm thinking in terms of having to buy everything.

I'm not knocking it, I'm just trying to understand why it was done that way.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 89shelby2.4 View Post
    Thats because they try and run the stock ecu with big turbo's and big boost.Detonation from to much advance is whats breaking the oil pumps,these engines need very little timing to run good.Ive been running mine hard for 3 years and not a problem at all.Keep the timing conservative JT and you wont have a problem.
    this is true. people have pump gear failures to do resonance through the crank from spark knock. The stock dampener in the pulley helps to counter this in case the tune isn't quite as it should be...

the problem with the srt motor is the reputation it's earned for failing at 400-500 whp. there are plenty of people who have proven that they can be reliable at 450-550 range with a proper tune.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Haven't commented on this thread yet but the car and engine look killer. I love that the hybrids and swaps are bringing out some of the true craftsmen in the TD world. I cringe at some of the hacking that goes on sometimes.

Since everyone else is playing...

It is an NA head. An SRT4 valve cover has 2 extra holes which would need to be filled which is more work for no gain. I kept mine b/c I would prefer people know I didn't just throw in an SRT4 engine but that I built up an NA engine. Makes me feel like I did more.

I think square was just the shape of choice and is for sure the cheapest material wise. Putting the TB on the passenger side siplifies the intercooler piping by not having to bring it all the way back over to the drivers side. It also keeps the piping as short as possible decreasing the chance for any heat soak after the intercooler and helping keep lag down.

Being an NA head it has oval ports compared to the square ports in an SRT4. To use an SRT4 header you would have to reshape the NA ports which is alot of time for probably not alot of gain. Not to metion to get a decent header you pay a mint and for the price difference it is worth it to make one over spending 6-700 bucks on a piece of crap. I think he is also alot like me in taking pride saying he built everything.

DJ
    Must only be that way on the 1G 2.4L head. 2G head is nearly identical. I didn't have to reshape anything or fill any holes. Only reason I went to the turbo valve cover is 'cause I wanted it powder coated, and couldn't find anyone that would powder coat my used NA valve cover.

It's what I had ('97 N/A motor) why would I want a turbo one? I have a spare that will have the words milled off eventually

Square is easier, cheaper than round and also allowed room for the stacks inside. The TB is on that side for a direct path from the front mount IC.

I would have to modify any OEM intake to put the TB where I wanted to put it.

The header is a OBX unit, cheapest POS I could get to put the car together. None of the fancy SRT headers out there will fit the next turbo the car will get that way I want it to fit, so I deceided to go simple with this turbo just to get it running.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

BTW there are DOHC 2.0 valve covers that don't have any lettering on them...

That means there is no need to mill lettering off if you use one of those.

-Rich

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    BTW there are DOHC 2.0 valve covers that don't have any lettering on them...

That means there is no need to mill lettering off if you use one of those.

-Rich
    BTW: I've got one of those sitting on the shelf in the barn, just come and get it JT.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...