Page 46 of 170 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: BadAss SRT-Z Update!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    Thanks.

I am only on page 8 I think, but so far, impressive, and that's why I kept my GT instead of swapping it out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I agree...GT series FTW, especially with a manual transmission car!

The GT35R definately the way to go with that 2.4L cylinder head on there. Can put down some serious numbers with that thing. That's a good setup!

353 whp on a stock engine at 20 psi.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/...umbers-343921/

Another guy, 514 whp, built motor, 24 psi.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Which wheels? housings?

Theres really nothing wrong with the T3/T4 I got except the comp housing is only a "B"
    to4e super 50e, stage II ford housing no wastegate (4-bolt discharge with 3" v-band tig'd on)
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

TFB, thats a little hybrid

Really, the 35R is not that much bigger than what i got now... Here are the wheel dims:

-------------------Compressor----------------Turbine
    -------------------Ind (mm)Exd (mm)----------Maj Dia (mm)Exd (mm)
    T03/04 HiFi S-III---59.03----76.20-------------65.00--------56.62
    GT3582R-----------61.40----82.00-------------68.00--------62.31
    -------------------4.02%----7.61%------------4.62%-------10.05%

So If I added the S-V wheel to mine...

-------------------Compressor----------------Turbine
    -------------------Ind (mm)Exd (mm)----------Maj Dia (mm)Exd (mm)
    T03/04 HiFi S-V----59.03----76.20-------------70.99--------61.90
    GT3582R-----------61.40----82.00-------------68.00--------62.31
    -------------------4.02%----7.61%----------- -4.21%-------0.66%

And then swapped to a T04E comp cover, the only big diff would be the BB and the eurbine A/R of .63 on the T3/T4 and .82 on the GT ... and they make larger T03 A/R turine housings right?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Interesting but I think if that turbo did make that kind of power, we would have more of them being used?

Yeah, pretty sure they make larger A/R's for the T3/T4's. The GT35R, you can go big or go home, lol.

turbo addict

The thing is that the technology step-up in the aerodynamics of the compressor and turbine wheels is not something you can readily quantify based on pure physical measurements. THAT is where the REAL difference is. Sure, size matters to a point, but how and when the air moves is more important when they are that close. The other thing is that the transient response time for the GT will blow away the journal bearing turbo. This is something to really consider when you have a manual transmission. Yes, the BOV helps keep the turbo going, but the GT will stay at a higher rpm longer, and get back to the desired rpm faster.

In my mind, there's no contest. The GT wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Interesting but I think if that turbo did make that kind of power, we would have more of them being used?
    There are a lot of them out there, just not on T-M's

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    The thing is that the technology step-up in the aerodynamics of the compressor and turbine wheels is not something you can readily quantify based on pure physical measurements. THAT is where the REAL difference is. Sure, size matters to a point, but how and when the air moves is more important when they are that close. The other thing is that the transient response time for the GT will blow away the journal bearing turbo. This is something to really consider when you have a manual transmission. Yes, the BOV helps keep the turbo going, but the GT will stay at a higher rpm longer, and get back to the desired rpm faster.

In my mind, there's no contest. The GT wins hands down.
    At first reading this I thought "wow, not sure how my car gets down the track using oldass technology"... hell, Pachner uses even older tech on his little blue rocketship, but how!? ... ok /smartass

OK, You are very right that the aerodynamics make a difference. The big difference with that is in the peak potential HP for a given wheel diameter because it can flow more CFM. The 'old' stuff I'm currently using has been around for years... BUT with all the CFD and CNC capabilities available today the GT stuff is now 'old' as well. First Turbonetics leapfrogged them and came out with their HP wheels with newer aerodynamics, the same timeframe, Precision started making their own wheels which claim 10-15% hp gains over the same size 'old' GT wheels... heck, Garrett has their new GTX wheels out too.

Journal vs. Ball bearing? No matter which manufacturer you talk to (I've talked to many) they all claim ~500rpm quicker spool and varying different levels of durability. In fact I've heard bad things about the GT BB durabiltiy...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

What bad things have you heard about BB turbo's? Garrett or others or all?

As for other cars, yeah, you maybe right, it just seems big HP cars all use BB's. Not bashing your setup all, just trying to get you more and learn at the same time,

I also think Reaper is right, you guys all told me the GT35R is a mismatched turbo with a weird surge line but people sure make power on it-I still can't get over the hit when it comes on full song, I would go HX35-per my thread which Puppet steered me to, as that is a bigger turbo but I want to max out this turbo first and with Garretts wicked exchange program, I can't complain.

I was told that the GT's had BB durability issues. Precision developed their own ceramic BB because of it.

I'm not saying BB is not better and the T3/T4 I am proposing that is almost identical to the 35R would have one.

Funny thing is that when you look at the compressor map... yeah, I was told the 60-1 HiFi wheel I am currently using is a bad match for both the 2.2L and 2.4L I have had it on. Doesnt seem to work too bad. Another reason why I'm not a fan of comp maps.

So, in summary... wheel diameters,. wheel aerodynamics and comp maps are all for reference only and the the whole package on the turbo has to add up for the application.

So simon.. what RPM do you reach full spool (and at how much boost?) with that 35R? I'm not talking brake torquing, just from a 1000rpm roll in 2nd gear and flooring it.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Journal vs. Ball bearing? No matter which manufacturer you talk to (I've talked to many) they all claim ~500rpm quicker spool and varying different levels of durability. In fact I've heard bad things about the GT BB durabiltiy...
    I am also a little fearful of Turbonetics ball bearing durability.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I am not sure if any of them have gotten it right yet... especially when 'oil only' ... I was actually stunned that the new Precision BB is not offered with a 'coolant' option

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

I wish Precision would have a little bit more info on their website. It's pretty lame.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Funny thing is that when you look at the compressor map... yeah, I was told the 60-1 HiFi wheel I am currently using is a bad match for both the 2.2L and 2.4L I have had it on. Doesnt seem to work too bad. Another reason why I'm not a fan of comp maps.

So, in summary... wheel diameters,. wheel aerodynamics and comp maps are all for reference only and the the whole package on the turbo has to add up for the application.
    Finally, someone starting to use their noodle instead of just following some of the BS convensional thinking!

According to the old 60-1 map, that wheel should only be good to about 28psi, yet with the right cover ppl claim the turbo really starts to come to life over 30psi. That is a great track turbo JT, and deff capable of 600WHP. If you were looking for a street application there are more responsive turbos that are deemed more "street friendly" but the 60-1 is well proven on many 4 cyl applications.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

I am not sure if any of them have gotten it right yet... especially when 'oil only' ... I was actually stunned that the new Precision BB is not offered with a 'coolant' option
    Dang.... I remember years ago when I built a LeBaron with a DBB that it was *mandatory* to have water cooling. Right out of Precision's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I wish Precision would have a little bit more info on their website. It's pretty lame.
    Dang.... Didn't even know they had a website!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post

Dang.... Didn't even know they had a website!

You aren't missing much. Many of their products listed say "Avaialbility mid 2007". The "new" billet wheel turbos are not found at all.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

Well, which turbo did you run the 10.84 @ 130.47mph on? I'm sure you'll want to run at least that fast, or faster for Pinks. The GT35R does sound like a nice turbo though, I've been reading about that one for a while. I've also been reading a lot about the newer Precision turbos, they sound nice too. Some impressive numbers going down with those on Evos.

Didn't see if you just got a new head, or repaired your old one... was it ported? I have a stock 2.4L head sitting in my garage, if you needed one quickly you should have asked. :P Maybe I should throw it in the trunk so you have a spare head at Pinks. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Dang.... I remember years ago when I built a LeBaron with a DBB that it was *mandatory* to have water cooling. Right out of Precision's mouth.!
    Apparently that was when they were running Garrett GT BB's ... your Billet wheel 6262 is oil only right?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President