Page 102 of 170 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 3392

Thread: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

Re: BadAss SRT-Z Update!!!

Man JT you must be getting good at doing those trannies. I still have the case from the parts I gave you last year if you want it let me know

I've also tac welded that race on before

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Carnage!
    -Walked off bearing race
    -Cracked 3rd gear syncro ring
    -Worn bearing support plate

Changed Parts:
    -different 3rd gear (the one that came out last year)
    -different used 3 & 4 syncro rings
    -different used bearing support plate
    -swapped 1 and 2 syncro rings back-forth, who needs syncro on 1st? LOL
    -doubled up sprinsg on sliders

Shift fork pad update:
    -New material working MUCH better than old material, see side by side picture
    -put work pads back in to get more testing on them

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    JT just watch for cracks on the firewall above the exhaust tunnel with higher rate springs ( you need to find them when they are starting and fix them while they are small ) this is where a full roll cage helps take the flex out of the body.
    Where, got pics? It has a 10pt cage...

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    looks good. you really need wheel spacers to bring those srt rims to the edge of the body. the car makes those 17's look tiny.

Brian
    Thansk, adn yes, they do need to be spaced out a bit... or widened to 7.5" would look good too!

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage16V View Post
    Man JT you must be getting good at doing those trannies. I still have the case from the parts I gave you last year if you want it let me know

I've also tac welded that race on before
    Practice makes perfect, LOL.. oie

Looking at this one, i could use that case BTW, thanks again for those parts, more and more go into this one as time goes on

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

How the crap do you crack a synchro ring!? It looks like it started at a high stress point. It looks more and more like we REALLY need to do some research into doing full face dog conversions. I'm thinking we've found the point at which our stock 20 year old transmissions are raising the white flag. Honestly, for the age of the parts, design, and the fact they are FWD I still find it VERY impressive we can shove that amount of torque through them and only now are we having major issues.

It's been a while since I've been into a 3-plane shift transmission, so what caused the bearing plate wear?

Cracks on the firewall on 87/88 G-bodies are VERY common. Mine has it and it had it even with the stock springs. I've known of at least 2 other '88 G-bodies with the same issue, but both were T-top cars (mine is a solid top). It happens on the firewall just where the transmission tunnel starts, which is usually covered up by the heat shield. I plan to fix it some day and reinforce the front structure of the car, probably with a cage.

Re: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A555 - It's ALIVE!!!

I think the syncro ring just cracked from abuse.

I think the bearing plate got hammered from the walking off race pushing on the front of the case

Stumbled onto the original swap thread so I merged them into this one

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

An updated chromoly bearing plate would be nice for the 523/568.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Wow, alot of wear on those fork pads, how long have they been in there?

Agreed with Brian, you need to space the rims out.

My van's firewall has cracked twice, I've seen it on other TM's alot.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Part of the reason the CM plate helps on the 555/520 is that it is flat compared to the OE stamped ones. The 568/523 plate is actually ground flat on the one side, and has two more bolts. Every bit helps but not sure if a CM plate would help too much?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Wow, alot of wear on those fork pads, how long have they been in there?

Agreed with Brian, you need to space the rims out.

My van's firewall has cracked twice, I've seen it on other TM's alot.
    Thats a lot? have you seen what happens to the plastic ones with a couple missed shifts?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Thats a lot? have you seen what happens to the plastic ones with a couple missed shifts?
    Nope, haven't seen a really bad 5 speed yet, except for the main shaft wear.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

The ragged stamping marks from the worn out dies and the wavvy grinding marks where someone took a hand grinder to dress the edge down just adds character right ?

More from a wear standpoint. Even in my very nice condition 523 with all of ~90hp~ abusing it. The rear bearing race still managed to pound an indentation into the steel plate. Enough to add some endplay into the equation.

I dont have too many pics handy of messed up ones, but I have seen them in many trans' I've had apart.

The pic with the 568 3-4 pads with chunks missing are the ones that came out of this trans when the original brass ones went in the car. The two 555 fork/pad pics are hard to see but the pads are all squished out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040035.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	34097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02580.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	34098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4042.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	34099  

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i can partially see what simon is saying. there is definitely a groove worn in the bronze and you havent had it in there all that long. how long will it be before that bronze is gone.

on the other hand, a plastic shift fork pad lasts darn near forever if a wildman isnt yanking the ---- out of the gear lever.

the bronze will handle your gorilla tug when you get the timing wrong on the shift or it just is mad at you whereas the plastic will break.

but when shifted smooth and clean, the plastic seems like it will outlast the bronze strictly from a wear/thickness standpoint.

on a racecar that sees some street duty (be honest..... ) with a madman at the helm, the bronze is definitely needed.

for the rest of us, i'd rather have plastic. id really hate to have to tear down a gearbox just to replace those pads when they wear out.

i wonder how polished steel/cast iron/stainless would hold up as a fork pad.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

and I'm starting to learn enough about these things to start trying to design stuff.
    Like the equal length header and the scatter shields? LMAO.....sorry.....couldn't let that go untouched...

I think the bearing plate got hammered from the walking off race pushing on the front of the case
    I would say even if the race wasn't walking off, that the plate was being hammered. Mine does the same thing and it's CM. It's the pinion gear trying to *unscrew* itself from the ring gear that hammers the plate. This also seems to allow the plate to flex, and then the input shaft bearing is allowed to walk back. Then, next thing you know, your damn input shaft is loose on the preload.

I'm thinking something that won't flex, but hopefully not crack either.

More from a wear standpoint. Even in my very nice condition 523 with all of ~90hp~ abusing it. The rear bearing race still managed to pound an indentation into the steel plate. Enough to add some endplay into the equation.
    Right.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Funny Reeves, so are the headers ready yet? How about NOW?

What about making a thicker plate and maybe putting a hardened ring in the plate where the bearing push's up?

turbo addict
    I still dont see why people are fretting about the shift fork pads. They have used bronze pads for years with no issue. The slider groove could use some polishing and round off the corners a bit. If they lasted this long in JTs trans where the plastic only lasted a few runs I see them lasting a long time in a daily driver. If you could get some more I would love to try them out. I heeltoe shifting gets pretty fun here in the hills.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

I'd like to have a set! For a 555 of course.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

i can partially see what simon is saying. there is definitely a groove worn in the bronze and you havent had it in there all that long. how long will it be before that bronze is gone.

on the other hand, a plastic shift fork pad lasts darn near forever if a wildman isnt yanking the ---- out of the gear lever.
    Yes, there is a slight groove, BUT its still intact, not smashed up like on emissed shift will do to the plastic ones. The pics I posted of plastic were were out of regular use trans', not my gorilla gear jammin'...

for the rest of us, i'd rather have plastic. id really hate to have to tear down a gearbox just to replace those pads when they wear out.

i wonder how polished steel/cast iron/stainless would hold up as a fork pad.
    You think brass will wear out before plastic, then suggest steel? seriously?

Thank you, please come again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Like the equal length header and the scatter shields? LMAO.....sorry.....couldn't let that go untouched...
    LOL... ya got me there man!

The header is still in testing... did anyone see the SS prototype at SDAC-21?

Bronse pads are in testing too... Maybe MiniMopar will chime in (in the fork pad thread) on how they are holding up in his DAILY DRIVER.

I would say even if the race wasn't walking off, that the plate was being hammered. Mine does the same thing and it's CM. It's the pinion gear trying to *unscrew* itself from the ring gear that hammers the plate. This also seems to allow the plate to flex, and then the input shaft bearing is allowed to walk back. Then, next thing you know, your damn input shaft is loose on the preload.
    Yeah... I got that going on too... just hopng it lives trhu Monster Mopar, LOL! [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Funny Reeves, so are the headers ready yet? How about NOW?

What about making a thicker plate and maybe putting a hardened ring in the plate where the bearing push's up?
    With Reeves' 4-sped idea, you could box the end of the case with a 1/2" thick plate!

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I still dont see why people are fretting about the shift fork pads. They have used bronze pads for years with no issue. The slider groove could use some polishing and round off the corners a bit. If they lasted this long in JTs trans where the plastic only lasted a few runs I see them lasting a long time in a daily driver. If you could get some more I would love to try them out. I heeltoe shifting gets pretty fun here in the hills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    I'd like to have a set! For a 555 of course.
    Yeah, still need to write a path for those...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

You think brass will wear out before plastic, then suggest steel? seriously?

Thank you, please come again.
    dont be an a$$, a$$.

my plastic ones look great... as long as i dont go crazy on the shifts. even after many many miles.

i only suggested it cause:

1. thats what the factory did via welding the forks up and machining them....

2. nice hard polished selector ring and nice hard polished shift fork pad thats well lubed and is under considerably less load than the METAL ON METAL of the differential..... im thinking it shouldnt be an issue.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

dont be an a$$, a$$.

my plastic ones look great... as long as i dont go crazy on the shifts. even after many many miles.
    and maybe there is no slop in your forks/rods? Did you notice the wear on both the brass and bronze pad is off center? The fork is lose on the rod and tilts, so maybe that smore of the issue.

1. thats what the factory did via welding the forks up and machining them....
    That is because it is cheaper to weld/grind than machine a custom part...25 years ago when CNC's were rare. They also did thsi on race cars, not production...

2. nice hard polished selector ring and nice hard polished shift fork pad thats well lubed and is under considerably less load than the METAL ON METAL of the differential..... im thinking it shouldnt be an issue.
    Still confused why you would rank steel > plastic > brass/bronze? Do you realize that the latest bronse pads I'm using is hard as steel with better frictional properties? I didin't exactly close my eyes while flipping pages in a catalog and take the first one I saw

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

The fork wobbling on the rod isnt good. Ever bit of lost motion adds up and potentially allows for drag causing the extra wear.

Bikes don't use anything on their shift fork pads except metal on metal and no synchro's, I've never had to replace a shift fork yet and I don't use the clutch except to downshift and starting.