Page 164 of 170 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 3392

Thread: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

Not sure if wrapped separately it would hold the two halves together. This picture and the one comparing A555 to A568 webbing make me think it would work better if wrapped around the case, or some gussets added in between.

Attachment 58145

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Maybe it's time to look into something like this:

http://www.hewland.com/svga/egt.html

But I'm sure none of us want to know the price on that...
    Recommended max. engine torque:320 lb.ft
    I think it's safe to say JT is well above that!

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post
    I think so, and that still might be better than the 175 ft-lb units I'm using LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well i couldnt post this on the first day because the site was messing up but:

Most obvious thing that pops out is that the area where the crack starts is a fairly thin V shape of metal:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03 (1).JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	444.7 KB 
ID:	58259
    And the thought that follows would be to fill the V with welded metal:

Name:	2014-outer.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	591.2 KB 
ID:	58260
    Next thing that comes to mind is putting a plate across the area that splits:

Name:	2014-inner.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	402.1 KB 
ID:	58261
    But there's probably not room on the inside so can we get a better view of the outside?

Name:	2014-left.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	644.9 KB 
ID:	58262

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post
    | valign="top" style="width: 227px" | Recommended max. engine torque:320 lb.ft

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I think so, and that still might be better than the 175 ft-lb units I'm using LOL
    Is that 320 ft-lbs. max peak torque or max torque that will live for 60-100K miles?

Clearly the, 523/543/568 can survive a higher than 175 ft-lbs single event....

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Sounds like an interesting strategy, but no pics
    Fixed it! This'll be the third try getting that post to work since you originally posted up your carnage pics..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Good observations and thoughts!

Anyone else have ideas?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

The area he wants to fill is the area that has more bracing on the older cases.

What about an "L" shaped type of bracket that could connect the diff housing to the main body part of the case?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

1. How about a primary cage that goes from the bell housing to the side cover with an adjustment in the middle to allow for preloading. Think a turnbuckle.
    2. Half of it goes over the top of the trans and the other half under it.
    3. Secondary cage goes from the primary cage back to the differential cover. Possibility of another preloading adjustment if wanted.
    4. Half goes over the top and other half under it.
    5. If the preload is deemed unnecessary, just bolt it together.
    6. Use it in conjunction with the inner plate reinforcement next to the bearing adapter that Vigo drew.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hmm, exoskeleton, full transmission brace that pieces together combining with a scatter shield that supports the bellhousing, preload with turnbuckles. Sounds plagerized from my posts posts a year or 2 ago towards JT. I want his case preloaded end to end too though. Don't create another weak spot. Keep all the gears fully meshed and they will live to their ultimate potential.

Told yah so JT?
    It Is good to know that the plate is not enough. Save me heartbreak
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

At least for the hole above the carrier bearing (the one with the locating dowel) is there enough room inside and enough meat in the casting to drill it all the way through and use a stud secured by a nut on the inside? I'm just shooting out ideas; I'm not that educated on transmission internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Hmm, exoskeleton, full transmission brace that pieces together combining with a scatter shield that supports the bellhousing, preload with turnbuckles. Sounds plagerized from my posts posts a year or 2 ago towards JT. I want his case preloaded end to end too though. Don't create another weak spot. Keep all the gears fully meshed and they will live to their ultimate potential.

Told yah so JT?
    LOL....I can honestly say Brent that I didn't rob your idea. Apparently, we are sooooo much smarter than the other guys on here!!!
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    The area he wants to fill is the area that has more bracing on the older cases.

What about an "L" shaped type of bracket that could connect the diff housing to the main body part of the case?
    Yes, the concern is the webbing is insufficient when the dif is loaded and pushes away from the pinion.

So kind of like the strap that Vigo posted but with a 90° flange to the body? interesting

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    1. How about a primary cage that goes from the bell housing to the side cover with an adjustment in the middle to allow for preloading. Think a turnbuckle.
    3. Secondary cage goes from the primary cage back to the differential cover. Possibility of another preloading adjustment if wanted.
    6. Use it in conjunction with the inner plate reinforcement next to the bearing adapter that Vigo drew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post

Told yah so JT?
    LOL....I can honestly say Brent that I didn't rob your idea. Apparently, we are sooooo much smarter than the other guys on here!!!
    I like the idea of a cage, however, I'm not sure how a cage from bell housing to end cover keeps the diff from walking out the back? this sounds like it is perpendicular to the diff expulsion force vectors?

I will post pictures of the plate when I finally get the current trans out. I predict that it did its job and the diff is the next weak link not directly related. IMO The helical gears are what pushes it out, not shaft movement.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    At least for the hole above the carrier bearing (the one with the locating dowel) is there enough room inside and enough meat in the casting to drill it all the way through and use a stud secured by a nut on the inside? I'm just shooting out ideas; I'm not that educated on transmission internals.
    Good idea and I was looking at that the other night. Maybe weld bosses onto the case and tap those for connecting studs?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Yes, the concern is the webbing is insufficient when the dif is loaded and pushes away from the pinion.

So kind of like the strap that Vigo posted but with a 90° flange to the body? interesting

I like the idea of a cage, however, I'm not sure how a cage from bell housing to end cover keeps the diff from walking out the back? this sounds like it is perpendicular to the diff expulsion force vectors?

I will post pictures of the plate when I finally get the current trans out. I predict that it did its job and the diff is the next weak link not directly related. IMO The helical gears are what pushes it out, not shaft movement.

Good idea and I was looking at that the other night. Maybe weld bosses onto the case and tap those for connecting studs?
    See above in blue. The main cage reinforces the case while the secondary cage comes off that and goes back to the diff area to support that. We are supporting the case in both the x and y directions
    Bryan

Got it. thinking the secondary cage is more of what is needed?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Also, by strengthening the main case you are keeping the gear mesh more in check. part of the whole failure is the gears pushing away from each other and there are multiple components to the resultant force vector. ANY reduction in ANY of those components will help. However, the caveat is that if some of the load is then forced through another component that was already near failure, well...you'll find out really fast!

It sounds like a few of us have thought about the "exoskeleton" idea. Time to bust out the chop saw and welder!

Got it. thinking the secondary cage is more of what is needed?
    Well, my thoughts are this.....The thing works as a whole. Also, how do you know the differential area is getting pushed straight back? My guess is that it is being forced away from the rest of the case on more than one plane. It's not being forced back at a true 90* angle from the gears. Besides, the main cage is the place to anchor the secondary one. My idea makes it a multi-piece cage for easier installation and service.
    Bryan

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I thought I read that the helical gears send 15-20 percent of the load axially? That load would be transferred straight out the diff case otherwise? I've been one to think that the helical gears are saving the diff, but eating the cases and bearing plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Also, by strengthening the main case you are keeping the gear mesh more in check. part of the whole failure is the gears pushing away from each other and there are multiple components to the resultant force vector. ANY reduction in ANY of those components will help. However, the caveat is that if some of the load is then forced through another component that was already near failure, well...you'll find out really fast!

It sounds like a few of us have thought about the "exoskeleton" idea. Time to bust out the chop saw and welder!
    Well, my thoughts are this.....The thing works as a whole. Also, how do you know the differential area is getting pushed straight back? My guess is that it is being forced away from the rest of the case on more than one plane. It's not being forced back at a true 90* angle from the gears. Besides, the main cage is the place to anchor the secondary one. My idea makes it a multi-piece cage for easier installation and service.
    I don't disagree that strengthening the whole case wont help, of course it will. The first time I helped MB pull the trans in her Talon the first thing I noticed was the extensive gusseting on the exterior. I guess for this issue I've been thinking of a more localized improvement than a case redesign.. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I thought I read that the helical gears send 15-20 percent of the load axially? That load would be transferred straight out the diff case otherwise? I've been one to think that the helical gears are saving the diff, but eating the cases and bearing plates.
    Vectors. The angle of the tooth dictates the split, so 45° is close to 50%/50%.

My comment was that the helical gears put a torsional load and also a side load into the ring gear. The side load on the ring gear teeth offset by the radius of the ring puts a pretty good moment into the equation. If the gears were straight the load on the case is mainly perpendicular to the inner shafts and in line with the gussets. The helical gears' side loading adds some twisting action to the gussets.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

I see what you are saying and I agree. Maybe both. Add material in the bowl above the crack area and the exoskeleton?
    Bryan