Page 94 of 170 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 3392

Thread: BadAss SRT-Z - 2.4L / A568 - Update!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

Re: BadAss SRT-Z Update!!!

I've done the crash box thing for a buddy's hemi 4 spd worked great went in every time

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    Maybe time for you to try the shifter out of a 420A equipped DSM? You will need a set of cables to go with the shifter. Be the test mule. Get the short throw stick to go in there at the same time.
    I wouldn't utter those three letters around JT. LOL

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    Maybe time for you to try the shifter out of a 420A equipped DSM? You will need a set of cables to go with the shifter. Be the test mule. Get the short throw stick to go in there at the same time.
    I have a stock 91 Daytona shifter in it... a couple bushings have been re-made out of polyurethane. I had a MadDog shifter in it and used to shifting a stock shifter fast, it was too quick.

Problem unfortunately is inside... all season the gears *zhing* when merely putting it in gear or even when it shifts correctly ... I'm wondering if the case is still full of aluminum crap after the main shaft bearing ate up the case... i pulle dit out the side and flushed it out the drain plug but hard to get it all out...

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage16V View Post
    I've done the crash box thing for a buddy's hemi 4 spd worked great went in every time
    Ramsdell made one, someoen else did too.. I hear dthey worked OK, but has anyoen put 500+whp thru one? Do you think missing 1/2 the dog teeth is strong enough on these little gears?

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    I wouldn't utter those three letters around JT. LOL
    LOL, yer learning girl

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    lol... Never! :d
    I love it. Yes you loose all of the street fun going auto

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Problem unfortunately is inside... all season the gears *zhing* when merely putting it in gear or even when it shifts correctly ... I'm wondering if the case is still full of aluminum crap after the main shaft bearing ate up the case... i pulle dit out the side and flushed it out the drain plug but hard to get it all out...
    We his 440 6 pack iwith that new process trans didn't talons are missing 3 sections of 3 or 4 teeth stock in 90 ish turbo trans

Ramsdell made one, someoen else did too.. I hear dthey worked OK, but has anyoen put 500+whp thru one? Do you think missing 1/2 the dog teeth is strong enough on these little gears?

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

LOL, yer learning girl [/QUOTE]

Dean Stillie

turbo addict

Dean, please give a full and detailed "how-to" on making the semi-crash box? There has been a lot of discussion about it, and a lot of ideas, but no real concrete "this is how you do it".

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Go to passon or brewers website and check out the synchronizer teeth on the A833 gears. They are really no bigger than our FWD stuff and yet still survive 500+ hp full time V8's putting the power out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Dean, please give a full and detailed "how-to" on making the semi-crash box? There has been a lot of discussion about it, and a lot of ideas, but no real concrete "this is how you do it".
    Its a simple theory... grind every other tooth off the dog teeth on the gear

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Go to passon or brewers website and check out the synchronizer teeth on the A833 gears. They are really no bigger than our FWD stuff and yet still survive 500+ hp full time V8's putting the power out.
    Really, same size teeth? Same diamater ring? and same number of teeth? Pic?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

boostaholic

Are you talking about the video of Warren and me? If so, that was at SDAC-21 so I would suspect most on the sidelines realized they just saw the worlds two quickest FWD G-bodies face off
    yea, there had to be a track official double checking their timing gear after that. I just assumed you had an auto, damn that's impressive consistency (excluding the missed shifts). I am putting a maddog shifter in my car with 5/16" morse cables,
    hopefully in a few weeks I can let you know how it works.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

your killing the tree JT!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

I was told to do this from an engineer at New Process gear in Sarycuse. Take out every other gear on outside of syncro slider and gear and leave the brass ring in un touched. This gives it street driving quality. and to just do second and third he said you never have problems going in the other gears also for street driving quality.
    I did this on a buddys 440 6 pack Super Bee and it worked beautifully. I was a totally stock car ran a best of 13.09@106

Dean Stillie

That was a great race to watch Warren and JT from all angles!! I'm going out to work on my car now ......

Dean Stillie

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I am working on it this week and will hopefully have the trans together to race on the 14th. What I found is that the 2nd gear synchro has an uneven amount of teeth which screws things up. You need to have an even amount for it to really work from what I can see. That being I rarely miss a 2nd gear shift and have always hit it on a WOT attempt as well. I figure this is because the output shaft is turning much slower so you don't have as much speed to match the gear too. I will be grinding out the teeth on the 3rd and 4th synchro only as they have an even number of teeth. On the slider gear you only want to grind the part that engages the gear synchros and keep the middle portion. Leave the brass alone as they turn with the inner portion "connected" to the slider so there is no trouble engaging that portion. Then on the gears take out every other synchro tooth. I have no idea if the trans will hold up or not but like everyone says there is no real feedback so I figure what the hel1, I already hate the synchros so lets attempt to make it better. Also JT, I am doubling up the dog springs on both the inner pieces for 1&2 and 3&4. This make the dogs press harder on the brass cup creating more friction to slow or speed up the gear before it engages. It will need more effort to shift but we all have strong arms from rowing gears anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. Someone with an auto may not be able to drive it anymore though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    See above....working on it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

DJ, I'm glad to see that you are trying this. I'm eager to see how the double spring setup works. That has made perfect sense to me ever since I read about it on here.

Thanks for the link... Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    yea, there had to be a track official double checking their timing gear after that. I just assumed you had an auto, damn that's impressive consistency (excluding the missed shifts). I am putting a maddog shifter in my car with 5/16" morse cables,
    hopefully in a few weeks I can let you know how it works.
    LOL, that track knows the car pretty well, been racing there for years. Cool on the shifter, let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    your killing the tree JT!
    Thanks, was trying to practice for Mopar Nats.... but I'll prolly take the Shadow so gotta leave a tad sooner

I was told to do this from an engineer at New Process gear in Sarycuse. Take out every other gear on outside of syncro slider and gear and leave the brass ring in un touched. This gives it street driving quality. and to just do second and third he said you never have problems going in the other gears also for street driving quality.
    I did this on a buddys 440 6 pack Super Bee and it worked beautifully. I was a totally stock car ran a best of 13.09@106
    OK, im interested...

That was a great race to watch Warren and JT from all angles!! I'm going out to work on my car now ......
    YES, get it running Dean!

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I am working on it this week and will hopefully have the trans together to race on the 14th. What I found is that the 2nd gear synchro has an uneven amount of teeth which screws things up. You need to have an even amount for it to really work from what I can see. That being I rarely miss a 2nd gear shift and have always hit it on a WOT attempt as well. I figure this is because the output shaft is turning much slower so you don't have as much speed to match the gear too. I will be grinding out the teeth on the 3rd and 4th synchro only as they have an even number of teeth. On the slider gear you only want to grind the part that engages the gear synchros and keep the middle portion. Leave the brass alone as they turn with the inner portion "connected" to the slider so there is no trouble engaging that portion. Then on the gears take out every other synchro tooth. I have no idea if the trans will hold up or not but like everyone says there is no real feedback so I figure what the hel1, I already hate the synchros so lets attempt to make it better. Also JT, I am doubling up the dog springs on both the inner pieces for 1&2 and 3&4. This make the dogs press harder on the brass cup creating more friction to slow or speed up the gear before it engages. It will need more effort to shift but we all have strong arms from rowing gears anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. Someone with an auto may not be able to drive it anymore though.

See above....working on it.
    Awesome, let us know! I already decided to try it (the gears are probably junk now anyways) but its even better if you try it first! Pics? KC article?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Also you will want to repoint the dulled gears that remain. remember not to go to deep on this the side of the tooth closest the gear is on an angle to keep the thing in gear under load

Dean Stillie

turbo addict

Pics would be good! LOL

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Yeah, I think I need to pull it apart... something is FUBAR ... maybe its time to make a crashbox? LOL

Hell yeah!
    I'm starting on my 4 speed crashbox as soon as my 4 speed parts show up!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

The crash box Cliff made ended up with Jon (CSXT665). He had it in his gutted 11 sec 88 T for a lot of passes. After that car was retired he put it in a full weight 8v Spirit R/T and it broke on the second or third pass. I don't remember if it had a diff in it. Keep in mind Jon used this trans as it was meant to, high rpm launches and flat foot shifting. You probably remember this car from SDAC 13. I'm not sure it would last behind ~500 whp as Jon's car was in the 300 range.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    I'm not sure it would last behind ~500 whp as Jon's car was in the 300 range.
    Well I guess I'm about to find out. Machined the gears last night.