Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1972 Charger won't start! A muscle car newbie needs help!

turbo addict

Re: 1972 Charger won't start! A muscle car newbie needs help!

you hook the lines up right? That and where did you get the pump at, autozone ones are known to fail quickly or never work in the first place. As long as you didn't really force anything then the pump arm should be in correctly.

Did you make sure you pushed the fuel pushrod up into the block before installing the pump? Really I don't think the pum will even bolt on with the pushrod in the 'down' position, or at least it wouldn't on my 440. I have heard of fuel pushrods mushrooming at one end, causing it to not actuate the fuel pump enough for flow. There should be a plug below where the fuel pump mounts onto the block. If you take off this plug you can extract the fuel pump pushrod thru the hole. Inspect it to see that it's not mashed up on the end. If it's fine, put it back in after cleaning/oiling it.

Here's a backyard mechanic's trick for when you get stuck with a dead fuel pump. If you run a rubber fuel line and a bottle to hold your gas, you can elevate the fuel supply above the carb to get a gravity feed to the carb. Not much pressure, but enough to keep it going. I've never tried it, but I've heard it works.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaturbo87 View Post

Here's a backyard mechanic's trick for when you get stuck with a dead fuel pump. If you run a rubber fuel line and a bottle to hold your gas, you can elevate the fuel supply above the carb to get a gravity feed to the carb. Not much pressure, but enough to keep it going. I've never tried it, but I've heard it works.

Been there and done that. A water bottle filled with gas and zip-tied to the antenna will get a car on and off the trailer.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

Well that trick worked... kinda... I got the car running for about 10 seconds After looking over the engine, I noticed it was sucking the fuel out of the bottle and then almost pouring right back out from where the throttle goes into the carb.... I think I found the problem

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123