Thread: Tach stuck on 89 dakota

turbo addict

Tach stuck on 89 dakota

Well my tach has never worked correctly on my dakota since i got it, it would stop move, stop move, stop move on my rpm changes, then for a while it would only move up then not go down(stay at 3 when i went that high) then one day i got in it and it just jumped to i believe 6.5k, haha the engine only revs to maybe 5.5 to 6k. So i was wondering how can i get it to work again, should i take the cluster out and spray something in where the indicator is???

Also how can i delete my air pump? A pipe is broken off at the cat and sounds like crap(either air pump or cat) probably both. My friend just took his pump off when he did his water pump and just connected both the hoses together. any thoughts?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Tach stuck on 89 dakota

Take the tach out and re-solder the connections on the circuit board. Like L-bodies the solders probably break over time.

Any exhaust shop can tack the EGR tube back up for you to the cat. If you decide to take the air pump and tubes off, it is a pain. The air pump is easy, but getting the tubes out can be a challenge, there isn't much room to work iwth there unless you cut them. Make sure you're ok to do that and don't have emissions testing to still go through before you start hacking the tubes.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

Re: Tach stuck on 89 dakota

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Take the tach out and re-solder the connections on the circuit board. Like L-bodies the solders probably break over time.

Any exhaust shop can tack the EGR tube back up for you to the cat. If you decide to take the air pump and tubes off, it is a pain. The air pump is easy, but getting the tubes out can be a challenge, there isn't much room to work iwth there unless you cut them. Make sure you're ok to do that and don't have emissions testing to still go through before you start hacking the tubes.
    thanks for the info on the tack problem and the common l body problem i noticed now it seems to move alot and is a lil slugish though. no emision testing here